cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Over the river and through the woods

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I asked DW what the terrain is in central Kentucky into Indiana and she says "I dunno."

She only lived there for 30 years.

So, out of Bowling Green northwards to KY 79, it turns into literally over the river and through the woods. Narrow two-lane with mostly no shoulder, up and down and round and round. Nothing too steep or too sharp. I planted the Allison at a manual 4th and engaged the exhaust brake and proceeded at 45 mph.

We eventually found Cave Creek COE; the entrance road was one lane and while the park was nice the bathhouse was up the mountain and the dumpster was further up.

So after a couple of days us stinkers (you didn't think we hauled up to the bathhouse did you?) proceeded north on KY 79, KY 259 and then KY 79 again. The complexion of the terrain changed; rather than curvy snake roads they became relatively straight. Over every hill straight. As in, we don't lower a hill or raise a valley, we're just going over the top straight. Whee!!

It's a nice area and the road is rolling-right-now hilly. Nothing drastic. It's still a narrow two-lane.

This portion ends at Brandenburg just south of the Ohio River. Overall it was an extremely enjoyable drive, far better than any Interstate boredom. The drive did engage my attention and give me a bit of a steering-wheel workout. It was great!
-jbh-
1 REPLY 1

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
You are getting it! DW & I did about the same this last winter. Of course after the Bourbon Trail, it did seem less challenging.
Max