Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overnight recommendation in Kamloops

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

We've got a fabulous two week trip planned and reserved this summer from Seattle to Banff and Jasper. The last remaining detail to get ironed out is where to stay on the way home. Currently, because of time constraints, I think we're going to be making a beeline back home from Jasper via Hwy 5. It looks like Kamloops is about exactly half way for us, so I thought a quick overnight there would be a good idea.

Any recommendations for a reasonable overnight stop with electric? With the likely summer heat we're going to want to run the AC, so I think a Costco/Walmart camp is probably out for us. Not looking for anything other than a quick stop and crash really. We're probably going to be sightsee'd out by then, so scenery isn't a priority, so long as the place is clean and safe and reasonably presentable.

I did a search and came up with Knutsford Campground and Kamloops RV Park as possibles.

Any thoughts about these, or other suggestions?

Thanks!
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch
20 REPLIES 20

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from Jasper via # 5 the Kamloops RV Park is EAST of your route. IMO, not worth the backtrack/time. Knutsford, south of the city on #5A is the only other choice IMO. Kamloops very RV Park "challenged".
Look north of Kamloops, within reason, for a spot. On #5 south of Kamloops the next town is Merrit (approx. 2 hrs).

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed only one night at the overpriced Kamloops RV Park last summer. We were given a space that only had room for our trailer, but not our truck (and our trailer is only 21' long). The Trans-Canada truck and CP train noise was so loud during the night that we had trouble sleeping even with our normal ear plugs in.

I personally wouldn't stay there again. Instead, I would suggest someplace outside town and away from the highway and railroad track if at all possible.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Knutsford/Kamloops RV campground. Great place nice folks!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven south from Jasper a couple of times.

First we stayed at Mt Robson PP, and drove the whole way to Vancouver in one (long) day. We had lunch in Kamloops.

Second we also stayed at Mt Robson, but took our time getting going, and ended up with a lunch stop near Valemount. We then spent 2 nights in Wells Gray. On the way out we did laundry in Clearwater, and camped behind a motel (Duck Lake).

There is a Prov Park near Clearwater, N Thompson River, that should be convenient for camping. Paul Lake PP is much closer to Kamloops (and probably cooler). Kamloops itself is in a hot dry valley. Lac le Jeune is a large PP off of 5 south of Kamloops. There are other parks on the Merritt plateau.

On that 2nd trip I stayed on 5A, and ended up camping at a small road side PP near Princeton, and the next day drove the Fraser valley and Harrison Hot Springs.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe look just a bit further east, it's before Kamloops, eh...Salmon Arm or Sicamous. That would just extend your search criteria a bit, is all. Thinking on this some....Chase has a lakeside RV park but the railway is close...you choose.

geeez..I mis-read the posting....corrected mine.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at Wild Rose Campground its Good Sams RV in Hope for just one night. Just what I was looking for. Not too expensive one night then on my way again. Quite and all the amenities. Easy in easy out.