Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picking a destination for next year?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone,

It has been a bit of torture following folks Mexico travels on this forum knowing that we couldn't go this year.

So here I am looking towards Winter of 2016 and our chance to head South again.

Our last trip down we had intended to make our way to Mazatlan. Our first planned stop was San Carlos with a plan to stay for 1-2 nights before continuing on. We were soooo comfortable at Tatanaka and San Carlos that we decided to stay another day or two..... And then two more... After almost a month it was time to head North ๐Ÿ˜ž We never made it South of San Carlos.

We did have an awesome trip though.

As I begin to contemplate our next trip I am considering options. I can make another run at Maz. I could, knowing how much I enjoy it, simply plan a trip to San Carlos.

Or a third option: The duration and distance I travel is limited more by what I spend on the trip than the time I take. How about finding the least expensive destination that I can find the things I like best?

Quiet beaches, good street food, friendly people and some activities such as hiking & boating.

Where have you found a quiet, comfortable and (relatively) inexpensive spot that you would recommend?

Also, do you all see the RV parks raising rates as the exchange rates change?

Thanks

Steve
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
23 REPLIES 23

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned home after spending another exceptional Winter at Boca Beach RV Park which is perhaps the nicest Walking Beach in all of Mexico in Our opinion.

The RV Park is probably the one that Dave mentioned in His previous Post.

The little Town of La Manzanilla is at the other end of The 5 Km Long Beach. This is just one of several beaches that make up the Huge Tenacatita Bay!

There were a few Folks back at Tenacatita Camping along the Dike, but nobody over the Hill near the Coral Beach as it was pretty badly damaged by last Falls Hurricane. The Slabs are buried under several Feet of Sand which is going to take some time to dissipate if ever. Other than a handful of UNARMED Security guards keeping an Eye on the place there is little activity. The Ocean is generally Calmer here than at Boca Beach so is favored by those of Us who are not strong swimmers. I suspect that Tenacatita will eventually be developed as as another Glitzy Tourist destination, but it will be a long time coming!

We will no doubt be back at Boca de Iguanas Beach again next Winter enjoying the Warm Weather in Our 38 Foot Motorhome!

If anyone wants information about Boca Beach and the various Roads and Routes that We have taken to get there and back from Vancouver Island please send me a PM!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
OP, we did PV to Tenacatita road, Highway Mexico 200, several times in our 30 foot gasser, quite a hill out of PV which we did while we unhooked our towed car and drove separately, and times when we were not towing. You would have no trouble on the hills, with your diesel power. Yes, the roads are narrow with little or no shoulder (unless they have been made wider since our trips). In November the rainy season would be just ending, made for the odd branch being able to brush to side of the MH, but no damage ever resulted. At the end of our winter visit, there would never be such a problem, the countryside would be brown and dry. By then many types of trees would lose their leaves, to conserve moisture. Take your time, don't drive too long, plan on where you will stay overnight and get there in lots of time.

The thousand miles or more would require 5 days driving for us, not more than 250 miles travelled, per day. But there were always other areas to check out and stay a few days between the days earmarked for making time south. The roads and traffic require a lot more close attention than the roads north of the border. Getting through cities is often a problem, signage is hit and miss. If you're ever lost you might hire a taxi to lead you.

We once did a car trip to Zhautenejo; we had never gone farther in that direction than a few miles south of Manzanillo, with a motor home. There are some amazing beaches along this stretch of the highway that often is elevated enough that one can get a good look at miles of beach, beautiful, and mostly empty. These views alone are worth the trip. But visit the small area of Marauata and be amazed at what you see. The approximately thirty miles of roadway that follows the terrain of the mountains very closely, well aloft and away from any seaside, is one of the trickiest sections of road you'll ever likely drive. A few miles farther south, you'll come to Costa Azul. If you winter in Ixtapa, or Zehaut, and wish to go inland when on your return, a better highway branches off there, near Costa Azul, to get you into the heart of Michoacan. We always spent time seeing the multitude of Mexican towns all of which seemed to have something very special about them. Check your guides.

I know nothing for sure, now, about the state of Tenacatita that we once visited. Dressed in riot gear, complete with shields and automatic rifles, Jalisco State Police drove everyone off the beach who were there on August 4th, 2010, and blocked access for the next four years. Many, many properties were bulldozed. Dozens of people lost properties signed off by the President of Mexico. The courts finally allowed people back in, but with a new set of rules, and with police looking over their shoulders. 800 people were said to have made a living from that beach. The surrounding area had become very poor very fast.

There is another beach and RV Park, farther south, past the turn off to Tenacatita by about ten kilomometers or so. This is the same, large Bay of Tenacatita. A bit farther on is the small town of La Manzanilla.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
How is the road from PV to Tenacatita, Ixtapa with a Class A, 34 ft.? Looking at Google Earth, it seems pretty narrow with no shoulder and twisting for many portions. Do you have frequent places where you can pull over?

Is it hard to get a spot at Tenacatita? Can you stay as long as you want? No generators, even a small Honda? It could be a challenge, you need pretty good Solar panels.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
daveB110 wrote:
I hope you can find such a place, develop fine friendships, and a love for the Mexican people as we did.

Excellent post.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
If you're again heading down the Mainland Pacific Mexican coast, have at least a month's time to spend, figure on your journey to take you just over a thousand miles, leaving from Lukeville, Arizona or Nogales, Arizona/Mexico. In the area southeast of Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, down nearly as far as Manzanillo, Colima, you will find a very good winter climate. This is the Coasta Alegra. We would take five driving days to get there, and always took time off the road to enjoy various other locations. Returning was another, even slower trip, as we explored the inland regions that, by then, were cooler than the beaches. At this time of the year it seldom rains there; early morning temperatures in December for example, are about 65 F. which will typically rise during the day to 85 F. in the afternoons. The water temperatures will be near 85 F. in early November, and decreases gradually until March is reached, when it will be closer to 78 F.

If one were to drive south from Manzanillo as the hours go by the temperature will almost invariably rise, and not only because of the time of the day; you are entering another climate, even warmer. When on a sunny day you may find the water dripping from the underside of your awning, you have high humidity and you could be looking for Air Conditioning! Farther north you may find one or two days of the week when dew condensation is evident on outside surfaces very early in the morning, but never later in the day, and never dripping from the underside of your awning.

When we dry camped at Tenacatita, 120 miles south of Puerto Vallarta, we relied on solar, nobody used generators, so of course, we had no AC. Where we camped along the coral beach by the "aquarium," there was no electricity, but fabulous snorkeling was never more than 40 feet away. We enjoyed nearly a year and a half there, spread over seven winters. I hope you can find such a place, develop fine friendships, and a love for the Mexican people as we did.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip

• Time
  • Money
  • Weather desired
  • Water temp desired
  • Urban? Rural
  • Attractions nearby?
  • Immersion factor?

A nice leisurely trip down the coast to Tepanatepec then inland to Sn Cristobal de Las Casas, then a return route via Oaxaca City, Patzcuaro, Guanajuato, Sn Miguel de Allende, then northbound to Texas exit is hard to beat. For ruins go East from Sn Cristobal to Palenque, then Uxmal.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Big THANK YOU to the folks PM'ing me offering additional assistance.

Gotta love this community.

S.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
As far as the value of the pesos goes - we personally did not see prices changing as we got more and more pesos for our dollar. But we were not in the more Americanized areas that much. The people of Mexico still earn in pesos and spend in pesos - for the most part they do not pay much attention to fluctuations and value or their pay would go up and down almost daily and prices in stores would do the same. Things may change in the long run but we did not notice it. Things like fuel and tolls do not change - though both are overpriced - it is not due to dollars. Perhaps the rates in those more touristy area RV parks do change but we did not see it where we travel. Rates in some parks have gone up but I think that has to do with some park owners thinking they have to raise prices to make more money when numbers of visitors go down - bad policy but that is what we think. We also noted that one RV park we visit had raised rates to equal what another charged - but this was also bad because the parks could not compare as the higher price charged by one was due to a swimming pool and WiFi plus a couple other things the other park did not have - comparing apples to oranges and charging the same price. Our experience is we still pay far less for a place to park in Mexico than we do in the US - but in the US we get 50amp electric and good water pressure among other things. Those parks in Mexico that charge too much may find themselves out of business. Once we cross the border we change our money to pesos and we no longer have any dollars nor do we do any business in dollars.

Thank you! You understand what I am asking ๐Ÿ™‚

I have seen many circumstances where folks use an event that does not significantly affect their cost of doing business as an excuse to raise prices and increase profits.

When a business owner has a somewhat captive customer audience and they behave that way I view it as abusive to the customer.

Just my $0.02 (how much is that in Peso's?)

Thanks for chiming in.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the value of the pesos goes - we personally did not see prices changing as we got more and more pesos for our dollar. But we were not in the more Americanized areas that much. The people of Mexico still earn in pesos and spend in pesos - for the most part they do not pay much attention to fluctuations and value or their pay would go up and down almost daily and prices in stores would do the same. Things may change in the long run but we did not notice it. Things like fuel and tolls do not change - though both are overpriced - it is not due to dollars. Perhaps the rates in those more touristy area RV parks do change but we did not see it where we travel. Rates in some parks have gone up but I think that has to do with some park owners thinking they have to raise prices to make more money when numbers of visitors go down - bad policy but that is what we think. We also noted that one RV park we visit had raised rates to equal what another charged - but this was also bad because the parks could not compare as the higher price charged by one was due to a swimming pool and WiFi plus a couple other things the other park did not have - comparing apples to oranges and charging the same price. Our experience is we still pay far less for a place to park in Mexico than we do in the US - but in the US we get 50amp electric and good water pressure among other things. Those parks in Mexico that charge too much may find themselves out of business. Once we cross the border we change our money to pesos and we no longer have any dollars nor do we do any business in dollars.

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite town in the Nayarit is Sayulita. It does tend to be somewhat of a surfer dude type. There is only one RV park, and it can be difficult to get into. Rincon de Guyabitos, farther South, is more laid back, and has everything you need. Dalia's is a good place to stay, and is very reasonable. It is also close to LaPenita, which has a great market.

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
Like it or not, the dollar is the world currency. As it strengthens, prices in pesos are adjusted upward to maintain the economic status quo. So no, I don't think there is price gouging, only businesses trying to survive. We all remember when it was $10p to the dollar, and today the national bank rate was $17.55p. The Canadians are the ones hurting. Obviously I'm not a economic wizard, but having lived full time in Mexico for the past 6 years, I may have a different outlook.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify my question:

I do understand raising prices due to increased cost of doing business. Not what I am asking about.

Are the RV parks raising their Peso rates in order to leverage the change in exchange? Profit taking of sorts?

Thanks.

Steve

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
Personally we think it is still to cold until you get south of Mazatlan. If we were beach people (we prefer inland mountains) we would go to the area north of Puerto Vallarta - south of Tepic - sort of. I won't name any specific destination as I am no authority. We have been to Mazatlan and it is a big city with tall buildings - not our thing at all. We have also been to San Carlos and though we do sometimes use it as a stopover we found it to be a good introduction to Mexico but once we moved on things opened up to finding lots of more interesting stuff. We have also done the Yucatan and the Gulf Coast. A long time ago we lived in the Caribbean at 18 degrees north - we thought that was perfect weather. San Carlos is at 27 degrees - Mazatlan at 23 degrees - Puerto Vallarta at 20 degrees - Cancun at 21 degrees - that is latitude - not Celsius - so if it is perfect weather you want? Go south young man. For us - we RV to be mobile and not stay in any one place very long - new experiences - new things to see and do. So we tend to roam all over Mexico. We love the ancient ruins and the historical architecture of the colonial cities. This past winter we finally got to Oaxaca. We are all different so everyone will have some other idea about where to go and what to do. Asking questions here and doing research might take you to your own special paradise. We now have many paradises.

Thanks!!

I suspect that you are referring to Sayulita (North of PV). We have been there and enjoyed it. I don't recall prices or RV facilities. On that trip we flew to PV.

I do also love the varied food, architecture,history and people. We had a ball on the Yukatan. Tulum & Ambergris Key (Belize) being my favorites.

No need to sell me on the joy of traveling Mexico and Central America. What is fairly new to me is visiting by RV.

I had been focused on Maz and parts North. I will give Sayulita a closer look.

Thanks

Steve

Edited for geographic stupidity ๐Ÿ™‚

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
tepetapan wrote:
Wm.Elliot wrote:
The longer I travel to Mexico the more I'm convinced that beaches/sunny weather in Mazatlan can't be beat.

I see, according to your map, that the left coast is as far as you have really gone. Too bad for you.

Too bad for me????
I have not updated the map for a few years. I have not been to the east coast or Baja but I have been as far south as Chiapas. Puerto Escondido was good, waves a little rough, but since you know what I like better than me, I'm all ears.

The further south I go I find more heat, more insects, more cloudy/overcast conditions.

Why are there so many attitudes here? I see so many know it all posts and posts slamming other people. If I like Mazatlan weather and beaches who do you think you are to tell me I'm wrong?
- without offering anything more substantial than a snarky attitude.