cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Port Huron, MI Border Crossing into Canada

2nomads
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Niagara Falls, Ontario, in late May to meet up with a caravan. We're coming cross country from Oregon. We plan to travel Interstate 80 most of the way, originally planning to cross the border in the Detroit area. But we now think it would be better to go up through Lansing and Flint, MI and cross the border at Port Huron. We've never been to this area any farther than Elkhart, IN. Any advice or comments about that choice of border crossing point?
2 Nomads
2006 Itasca Sunova
:Z :R and dachshund Harley :E
18 REPLIES 18

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I think your choice of crossing from Port Huron into Sarnia is a very good one. We crossed there last summer for the second time in less than five years. In fact, we stayed in the Port Huron campground so we could get an early and easy start. Glad we did, highly recommend it. We crossed with our dog in the back seat looking out the window at the agent. Even though we had all the proper documents, he never asked a word about the dog.

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed into Canada from Port Huron last Oct, easy peasy. Matter of fact I cross from Detroit quite a bit and like Port Huron better.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
I often crossed into Windsor through Detroit for business. If you pick up I69 from I80, you'll find it a much more enjoyable ride and crossing. (road conditions, traffic, scenery, and crossing time should all be better)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Not a bad idea ... pickup I-69 and take it all the way to Port Huron, you avoid a bunch of construction and congestion around the Detroit Metro area.

Either stay on the 80/90 toll road until it intersects directly with 69, or hop off at I-94

As for the crossing itself, it's a major commercial crossing so it should be pretty efficient and easy to navigate, I haven't driven it myself in an RV.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed