cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progressive Insurance in Mexico

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
Has any one had experience with a Progressive insurance claim while in Mexico? I just talked to a person from RVAmerica insurance in California who sells Progressive policies. That person didn't know much about assistance of a Progressive representative if need be while in Mexico.
24 REPLIES 24

Talleyho69
At least for us, we bought it for the US coverage, anything in Mexico is just a bonus. We buy our Mexican liability from Lewis and Lewis.

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
hypmils. question. why would you get progressive that doesn't have a rep. down here nor liability? get into an accident and you'll have some interesting things going on.
you need liability and for sure some one who speaks English/Spanish when in trouble.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
In reality, you don't know what you have until you need it. You can try to cover the bases but finally you hope for the best! We have CoachNet that is suppose to cover/help us SOB. Hope we never have to find out!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
When dealing with roadside services and Insurance companies you need to ask questions and get answers in writing. Nationwide is vague. They will not tow you to the border but MAY provide up to $500 towing if your insurance company denies coverage. Progressive will cover $500. Neither will pay for repairs in Mexico. But what can we expect for $7.00?? Lewis and Lewis will pay up to $350. Good Sam told me they have unlimited coverage in : USA ,Canada, Mexico and even Puerto Rico. They have a network of repair shops. BUT the brochure states that coverage is up to $1000. Coach Net is up to $1000 but I still don't know if they cover accidents. How good is the coverage from any of these providers? It would depend on what you are driving. Briansue has a 40 FT.DP. $500 won't get you very far. I am not up to date for towing costs in Mexico but I would guess $2.00 USD a KM.for his vehicle. More if you have to use a flat deck lowboy. Parts for his vehicle may be hard to find. Driveline , brakes and suspension can be obtained.12 volt electrical items ( especially computer boards would be big problem) A simple item can actually disable a vehicle. Slide outs can sometimes be jury rigged but often new parts are needed. They do not exist in Mexico Windshields have to come from the USA unless they also fit a large truck or bus. Body parts can be fabricated but may only be temporary . Return to the USA might be the only way for proper repairs. If you are driving a Class C many parts are available as much is the same as a one ton van. If the coach is aluminum it can be repaired but again probably a temporary repair. Same for aluminum travel trailers. Mexicans never say " cannot be done". They will weld or fabricate a pulley, gear or other item. But in the case of serious accident an expensive tow may be the only answer.

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I learned something new today. Progressive will NOT tow you to the border. They will do repairs in the US only but you must get the vehicle to the USA. National Interstate also does repairs only in the USA. First they told me they would tow 15 miles. Then they said no towing in Mexico. Costco no longer sells Mexican Insurance. The only way to get decent coverage is both a US policy and Mexican insurance. I am going to check with Good Sam and Coach Net to see if they will tow to the border. I doubt that.

Moisheh

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Nationwide also has the same Mexico coverage as Progressive. We have had both and currently have Nationwide. Purchased Mexican Driver's License Insurance to cover Liability requirement sold by Lewis & Lewis and Vagabundos Del Mar. Both have an online site and can be purchased & printed out online. If you go with Vagabundos get the higher priced policy so the coverage matches Lewis & Lewis. Both are good agents.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I guess we will go with Progressive.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You are only covered for an accident or glass. They have no reps in Mexico so I don't know how they handle everything. The vehicle must be repaired in the USA. You still need Mexican liability.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Ours covers everything except liability here in Mexico, but we have had no claims. Supposedly, you just contact them, and if the coach isn't capable to making it to the border, they will transport it.

Contact Progressive directly, online. They have always responded to me quickly.

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Our Progressive coverage stops at the border. We buy Mexican insurance (thru Costco) when we cross over. So - no experience.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.