for twenty four hour in home care.

Any input appreciated.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.
14 REPLIES 14

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We have a government long term car facility in our little town. My mom and my dad each spent their last couple of years there. Cost is presently about $1500 per month. Those who can't afford that are subsidized. It isn't a fancy place but I felt my parents were well cared for. It is attached to the hospital.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful. The contracts are often full of legalese to the point where you may need to be both a Doctor and a Lawyer to answer the questions correctly to prevent them from denying coverage after the fact.

I have to agree with this.
As I said earlier, how can these plans work? Without any subsidy from the government or a pension plan, the premiums that you pay, on AVERAGE, will have to be MORE than the benefit that you receive!
The insurance company is there to make a profit.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi

Be careful. The contracts are often full of legalese to the point where you may need to be both a Doctor and a Lawyer to answer the questions correctly to prevent them from denying coverage after the fact.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another product from Manulife
'23 Silverado High Country 3500 SRW LB D/A; '22 Cedar Creek 345IK

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
JackD wrote:
Hi SeaDog:)

Have a look HERE
They have exactly what you're looking for.

Thank you very much!
Take a vacation.

JackD
Explorer
Explorer
Hi SeaDog:)

Have a look HERE
They have exactly what you're looking for.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
In BC if you need full care 7/24, BC medical places you in the facility and you are billed 80 percent of your income based on tax return. You can also go private which is more expensive but we have found the public to be as good or better. We are familiar with this because of a family member going through this right now. The care and the facilities are very good.

Before she went to full care she was in partial care. I believe the province provided for two care aid visits per day but seem to me there was an avenue to get 2 additional care aid visits. Not sure though.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
"Thus, look to your pocket book. I think what we all have to expect to come down the pike is drug coverage complete. Quite a few countries do that for all now".

We sort of have that in BC now. It's called Fair Pharmacare, and even though many have not signed up for it, it provides a graduated drug plan based on your income.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I think the 3 Maritime provinces are configured, ie, geographically set up to provide more at home care direct level than other provinces. We lack those long stretches of eensy popupulations going north.

ON can't do for Toronto what it is prohibitive to do for Moose River. Or likewise, BC for Vancouver is too thin on the ground for near, but not in Prince Rupert.

Thus, look to your pocket book. I think what we all have to expect to come down the pike is drug coverage complete. Quite a few countries do that for all now.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
I know what you mean, and have seen it advertised, but have no actual experience of it.
If you think about it though, how could it really work?
In Canada, we don't really have primary medical insurance, we have provincial healthcare, paid for out of our taxes. Most of us also have subsidiary medical insurance to pay for those items, dental etc, that are not covered by the province. Most of these however are subsidized by our employers as a employment or pension benefit.
Remove this subsidy and the premiums would double or even higher, and you would end up with a situation like US healthcare insurance where you have an extra 'layer' between the patient and healthcare provider, who has to make a profit.
Insurance is to allow us to financially survive a disaster that may not happen. That's why it can work for some things but not for others.

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for speedy replies.

Yes, I am thinking about an insurance to cover
what our provincial plans will not.

In home care, transportation to facilities for treatment, etc.

While we are in pretty decent health and OK financially,
I realize that hiring a round the clock caregiver for instance, would be prohibitively expensive.

Like most of us, I would prefer to be in my own home
instead of an institution, no matter how great the ads make them sound!
Take a vacation.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I am reading this question to be about all insurance, especially, if you can stay in your home as opposed to being in a seniors residence.

At 72 I have many reasons to be paying close attention to the issue.

This will vary province to province. Health care may be national, but it is really delivered by the provinces.

Frankly, I'd rather not go to a seniors home! Got that.... ever.

It is well known that the actual $ are less for a person in their own home.

& the chat of politicians and health care managers, academics, etc. is getting closer to that goal----for all that much depends upon the individuals needs.

-----------
In about 4 to 6 weeks I will need temporary operation recovery home care.

Then I also have plans to travel.

I know driving myself is pretty much this year, next year and the year after. After that I'll be 75. & insurance rates sky rocket, I'm told. & travel insurance outside of Canada gets higher faster.

I'd say scout around. I don't know at what point it's a good idea to consider moving provinces, be check what provinces say. I moved when I retired. Why? well, that reason for much of outmigration from Newfoundland - the cost of getting to and from there, i.e., not health. But that move may prove to have health benefits. Or the population density in relation to delivering home care may be very important to what a province is willing to do.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You do not wish to travel to USA without additional health care insurance. Costs can be astronomical. Without health insurance, surgical treatment of a broken leg typically costs $17,000 to $35,000 or more. For example, at the Kapiolani Medical Center in Hawaii, repair of an uncomplicated leg fracture[4] costs about $16,082, while repair of a complicated leg fracture[5] costs about $33,565, not including the surgeon's fee. A typical surgeon's fee could reach $2,000 or more, according to Carolina Orthopaedic Surgery Associates.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Probably no other place on the forum so I'll leave it here.

The only insurance that I am aware of would be travel insurance that would get you into a facility if something happened while away.

Here in Quebec such care as you describe is covered Medicare and is done through what we know as CLSC's, essentially community health services. They provide home services up to a point where a patient needs to go into a care facility.

... Eric