cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reno, NV over to I-5 north

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Soon I will be going to Oregon, entering via I-5 northbound. I know that the wildfire situation can change every day. I just want to be prepared with alternate route choices in case any roads are closed on my planned route, which from Reno is up to Susanville, then 44 and 89 to Mt. Shasta/I-5.

So as an alternate, from Reno, I'm looking at I-80 then exit onto Hwy 20 across through Grass Valley, Yuba City to Williams/I-5. I'd like to know if this section of Hwy 20 is RV friendly. (MH and tow car in signature)

Also what about Hwy 36 west from Susanville to Red Bluff/I-5?

I've done another route before that is on my list.....north from Susanville, 139/39 to Klamath Falls then 140 over to I-5.

I'm fine driving on 2-lane roads through the forest, sweeping curves, a few passing lanes, some inclines/declines. But I don't like driving on the edge of cliffs or heavy duty switchbacks. (Though I've done some of both!)

Thanks for any help!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
15 REPLIES 15

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picking up hwy 20 from I-80 westbound the hwy 20 road is narrow two lane with slim shoulders if I remember correctly and of course scenic and twisting thru the mountains and many spots are marked where fatal crashes occurred. Highway 395 north of Reno is often closed now due to the Beckwourth Fire Complex that has crossed the hwy and buildings have burned in Doyle that is on 395. Sometimes they use a pilot car when opening the highway north of Hallelujah junction at 395 and hwy 70. Caltrans DOT road info is usually up to date on road closures with maps and sometimes photos. This is very recent info from the fire incident website at

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/7601/60867/