cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserving a campsite at Killbear Provincial Park next summer

tinkybean
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to go camping next July at killbear and I can see that reserving a site is quite hard these days. I grew up camping there and we always stayed in blind bay. We are aiming for Sunday, July 6 2014 and would like to stay for 7 days. If I go to book on February 6 am I likely to get a site in Blind Bay? We have about 5 picked out we like. Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting and thanks for your insight.
I have filled out the online survey and commented that they should raise prices for the most popular parks (closest to T.O.) until people move farther out to less populated parks,just a few bucks a year until equilibrium is reached.
I know not fair to cash strapped families but its all I got
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
relaxin- do you think using a lic plate number as part of the reservation will curtail the abuse?
I too have noticed 'full parks' are not quite full ,very aggravating. Myself it wouldn't bother me one bit if they just said 'no refunds' period.
cancel res. ? too bad so sad.

the plate of the vehicle that would be arriving, one account per household, the address should match the credit card address, and in the computer system as it maintains your information of past bookings, have it red flag changes(to be reviewed) if they are done more than once in every few years, so if for some reason like work changes you have to alter a reservation, than thats one thing but if you are constantly changing reservations, basically securing a site and then canceling a portion, in particular the front portion of your stay, ods are,,,,,, and if you do it every year or several times per year, that should be questioned.

I have come accross lots of sites that on the site callander are booked at the time I am booking lets say from a tuesday on for 2 weeks, then suddenly a couple months later the arrival date changes from the tuesday to the following friday,,, so now if I wanted that site or a site that one may have accommodated me for the previous weekend forward, or whatever.
since they put in the losses to be had on canceling, that slowed some of the cheating, and increased the parks income from those who can afford to cheat, and the 30 day wait time to make the first change(which leaves a 3 day window for someone else to book the site) however you can create 2 accounts and use like I said the spouce's card and still do rollover bookings from the day it opens in the spring to the date you want in july on that one perfect waterfront site.

Another thing they should do is in most popular 10 parks only allow one stay every 2 years during peak periods (june 15 to labour day) at a maximum of 2 weeks(14 days) this would open up opertunity for those who can never seem to get in at some places and boot out those who spend a month at the same place every year (like really there is alot of other parks).

the reservation system needs to be rethought as to site specific, and possibly only allow 50% bookings that way, and allow park staff to shuffle (before entering) to maximise the use of sites. You can enter a weeks worth of dates and most parks are booked solid so it appears,,, if you go into the site availability callender, in most cases you can put together a week with sites that are open at different times, which means moving once or twice during that week, in an rv that's not a bad as moving a tenting set up, I have done it complete start to finish in 2 hours which included one tent,,, but if they could do a little shuffle they could make it possibly so you don't have to move.

theres no way they can make everyone happy, they have a bunch of idiots (liberals) pulling the strings which progressively screws everything up worse and worse every year, they have been dipping into the parks profits that were suppose to be used for programs for kids improvements and expansion,,,, for their own little feeble political games like the typical bunch of theives they are, and they even closed a few simply because they have no clue how to run a business or improve a business.
one of this province's greatest assets for its people and the politicians are ruining it.
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

tinkybean
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to call killbear directly this morning, they assured me if I book in February I won't have a problem finding a site in my desired campground. They actually cut down a lot of trees this year due to beech bark disease, so apparently it has changed many of the sites privacy and shade. They said they will update photos on ontarios parks soon do reflect the changes.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
relaxin- do you think using a lic plate number as part of the reservation will curtail the abuse?
I too have noticed 'full parks' are not quite full ,very aggravating. Myself it wouldn't bother me one bit if they just said 'no refunds' period.
cancel res. ? too bad so sad.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
Book as early as possible online..or you will not get a site anywhere.

We got caught this year....we are going for the last week in july and the first of august. When we booked our site, there was nothing available in Ontario south of Timmins.

Also...don't assume that the sites you don't need to reserve for, first come first served sites, might have anything electrical or for a trailer. We have found now that these sites are small, non electrical and would never accomodate our trailer.

look at the "site availability calender", you can put something together but would not be in the same spot for the whole trip.
once you are in a park, some parks do have good non reservables, wait for one to open (by inquiring at the office) and move to it so you can stay the rest of your stay on one site, I have done that and it works fine, 11 day stay one move 4 days in, emptied the tanks while I was at it, no big deal.
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
you could always do like a handfull still do,,,, cheat, open a second account with the wifie's credit card and book the site as soon as possible, then roll over the booking rotating back and forth from her to your account and cancel as soon as possible so you don't loose to much money 😉
or book it a few days before your actual arrival day and cancel the first few days later.

over the past couple years I have found a booking from sunday night forward to be one of the easiest to get, I usually watch for the previous 2 to 3 weeks the pattern of bookings, how heavily it is filling, whether its weekenders or full week plus res's pick several from 1 to 10 and be on and have everything entered at 6:59 am, and wait till 3 seconds after 7 (using the governemnt of ontario's clock).
I just came back from 10 days at inverhuron, a nice site with the lake just on the other side of the trees from us, I opted to arrive thursday instead of friday and have to be challenged by all the friday bookings that would be occurring. was the second choice site, our first choice was booked for a couple weeks a few days before we did our booking.

I know the parks are making money off the cheaters now with extra charges, but personally I think they should automatically loose their reservations for the year and be banned from the reservation system for 2 years, and loose 50% on any changed reservation automatically from that point forward. It does make it harder for the rest of us to get a booking at all in some cases, or to get that 1 out only 5 water front sites at all, ,,,, and when you arrive its empty and you find out that the person changed their booking at the last minute taking 3 days off the beginning of their stay,,, if they had not done that you would have gotten the site

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Book as early as possible online..or you will not get a site anywhere.

We got caught this year....we are going for the last week in july and the first of august. When we booked our site, there was nothing available in Ontario south of Timmins.

Also...don't assume that the sites you don't need to reserve for, first come first served sites, might have anything electrical or for a trailer. We have found now that these sites are small, non electrical and would never accomodate our trailer.

tinkybean
Explorer
Explorer
That's very helpful thank you!

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
What I do for a different but equally as popular provincial park site is to go on the website the day before I want to book and see what is available or already taken for the period I want. In your case have a look on February 5 to see what sites may be booked for example from July 1 through 20 and won't be available to you from July 6 on because they are already occupied. Saves you a bit of scrambling on February 6 when you have already eliminated those occupied sites.

tinkybean
Explorer
Explorer
I'd love some feedback from others that book killbear in February, I've never reserved that early so I don't know how much is actually available in the Blind Bay campground itself at that particular time. Thanks again.

tinkybean
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I plan on getting on there right on time to book my site!

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
It is like winning the lottery. Kilbear is an immensely popular park and you are booking a site in the most prime vacation period. I would get on line the second the reservation window opens for the site/time you want.

tinkybean
Explorer
Explorer
So we shouldn't have a problem reserving a site then? Way back blind bay used to be the least popular but I'm not sure nowadays.

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, we like it there too. It is busy in the summer months. Sept is very nice there.