cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2015

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

Edited to add 'Alaska' within the title.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
715 REPLIES 715

Fl_Gator
Explorer
Explorer
We're leaving Florida for Alaska in about a week and a half. We've looked at taking the ferry from Skagway to Haines. But, have not made reservations because we aren't sure when we will be there. We believe we'll be in Skagway the 3rd or 4th week of May. What's the chances of us getting passage on the ferry when we get there?

We've never done a blog for any of our travels. But, we did start one for this trip. If anyone would like to follow us on our trip, our site is www.deucesrvtravels.com

Fl. Watergator

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
I believe we are ready for departure.

2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Today, Sunday is the last day scheduled for the Alaska House and Senate to meet. However they can vote to extend the session by a few days, if not finished. Then it will take several weeks to figure, for each department to know what they have to adjust in their departments.

So don't really expect to know how your ferry schedule is doing for a few more weeks. The route between Skagway and Haines is a short run, if it doesn't go to Juneau first and then back to Haines. Great ride if not in a hurry. LOL. A few years back, at the busy spring schedule of the AMHS, one of the ferry boats on a southern run broke down and was out of service for several months, so the AMHS pulled the fast passenger-vehicle ferry they were running in the northern waters and sent it south. Messed with the fleet schedules big time.

The fast passenger ferry, privately owned makes it very possible to stay in either Skagway or Haines an enjoy both communities.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chiefelectusn wrote:
Just received a re confirmation from the Alaska Marine Highway/ Ferry on our reservation from Skagway to Haines on june 9.
So that hasn't changed.
Nice short hop that saves a lot of miles and bypasses Whitehorse.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
Just received a re confirmation from the Alaska Marine Highway/ Ferry on our reservation from Skagway to Haines on june 9.
So that hasn't changed.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Well I certainly hope that the early reports of ferry cancellations don't materialize. But here is the link for those that want to follow. Click Here.

There is now an update and it doesn't look promising.

http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-Journal-of-Commerce/April-Issue-3-2015/Cuts-may-displace-thousan...

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I certainly hope that the early reports of ferry cancellations don't materialize. But here is the link for those that want to follow. Click Here.

Bob

jessjerr1831
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Sue T. We love your amazing pictures.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Your pictures are amazing, Sue. So want to see the lights some time.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to see what you missed this past weekend in Yukon...one of the most amazing light shows that I've seen!
http://yukonsights.ca/20150411_Aurora.html

Here's a teaser

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

cgflyer
Explorer
Explorer
We're headed up mid June, return trip mid July
4th round trip on the Alcan.
Cgflyer Carey and Ramona, NC

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV.NET Alaskan Travelers for 2015 - If you plan to go let us know! Posted weekly.

Place a sign on your RV, the bigger the better. Posting your location as you travel can also be helpful for meeting others.

Hereโ€™s the current list:

CA Traveler, Bob and Diane, Sun Lakes, AZ
Chiefelectusn, Rick and Gaye Meade, Sarasota, FL
cdbinns, Brett and Celina Binns, Gouldsboro, ME
trcgolf, Gregg and Dawn Bender, Jamestown, NY
beeman1, Jerry, Claremont NH
Firehawvvk, Bob and Shelley Deffenbaugh, Oskaloosa, IA
jimbow2, Jim and Irene, La Junta, CO
agesilaus, Bryan and Cindy Kramer, North FL
oldtrojan66, Debra and David Kirkpatrick, New Castle, IN
2hams2alaska, Mike and Arlyce, Quincy, IL
sljohnson1938, Stuart and Darlene, Mount Airy, NC
mxwi, Mike
MW Jones, Max and Ann, Texas
MissouriBird, Ken and Robin, Stewartsville, MO
americanrascal, Joe and Joy, LaGrange, GA
SpencerRB, Spencer and Rachel, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
NewallaBus, Richard, Newalla, OK
RamblinManGA, Craig, Arizona
Joyceyam, Joyce, Kenai, AK Staring in MT
oldtrojan66, David and Debra, IN
lakeside013104, Jerry and Nancy
papermaker2, Mobile, AL
PILOTRACE, Randy Kissimmee, FL
Chopper Hopper, David Waco, TX
stickdog, John and Sandi
okgc, MI
Rocky2, Ventura, CA
FL Gator, FL
tmuckenfuss, AL
Prairie Wanderer, Mark and Zee
marsharini, Ed and Marsha, Great Lakes Region
richarfg, Wildwood, TX
dahkota
RednPat, Gary, Galesburg, IL
hjeaton65, Robert and Jane, Elida, OH
Chopper Hopper, Dave and Lynn, Waco, TX
richarfg, Scot and Carol, Normangee, TX
BMH0115, Bob and Mary, Plano, TX

Bob

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
NewallaBus wrote:
I have walked on my roof also, did not see that I caused any structural damage either. But I haven't walked on it for the 29 hours of driving Google maps says it is from just Dawson Creek to Fairbanks. Richard

If you're going to try to drive it 29 hours the result might be damage to your RV, regardless of whether there is a tire on the roof.

Drive to suit the road conditions, not the schedule set by a Google utility that has no idea where the pot holes, frost heaves, and road construction is.

Also, don't whip by the bison that are usually on the highway in northern B.C.; you just gotta wait for them to move when they're ready.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
The weight of the tire is distributed, I had tires, canoe and even a Zodiac boat on all of my truck campers and went through the Dalton up to Deadhorse, and many many off roading all over USA and Canada, it was never a problem. The road in AK is not any worst than the ciment road we went through in Michigan last month. There is allways the possibility to have a 90 degree mount on your hitch, quite simpe to bolt on a tire or wheel assembly.

The roof can support the tire!

Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

NewallaBus
Explorer
Explorer
I have walked on my roof also, did not see that I caused any structural damage either. But I haven't walked on it for the 29 hours of driving Google maps says it is from just Dawson Creek to Fairbanks. Richard