cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2015

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

Edited to add 'Alaska' within the title.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
715 REPLIES 715

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Here is some google info for Alaska and ATVs.
http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/releases/resources/Brochures/ATV%20Statute.pdf

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/releases/resources/Brochures/ATV%20Driver%27s%20Guide.pdf

Basic message appears to be not on public roads.
I have seen some out on the Petersville Road and up by Eureka Lodge on the Glenn Hwy east of Palmer in the past. They were just not real popular when I was living in the rural areas of Alaska. Snow machines were very popular, and dog teams for winter travel. I owned one of the 3 wheeler Honda Big Reds for a couple of years before moving south to Colorado.

I really doubt most of the campgrounds are going to allow them to be riden in the CG, be it private, state or federal ones. If it is easy to take along, then take it but I wouldn't make much extra effort to have one with me in the north country unless there was some specific trail or area I wanted to explore more thoroughly. The 40 Mile and 60 mile mining areas being some that pop to mind. 40 in Alaska, up toward Eagle/Chicken and the 60 is in Canada on the road between Dawson Town and the border on the Top of the World Hwy.

Just keep in mind it can be a long walk back if you have any problems. Just like bush flying or 4 wheeling. We used to say the main different in getting stuck or breaking down, in a 2 wheel drive vehicle and a 4 wheel drive one, was with the 4 wheel drive one you had twice as far to walk back. LOL

If you or anyone takes an ORV with you, check with the locals, dealers, clubs, lodges, etc about the places they recommend you go. I used to average about 5,000 miles a year on snow machines, the ones with working odometers and seldom went too far out of town solo. With longer trips, there would usually be 4 or 5 machines and we always took one empty freight type sled with us. It was a rare trip that one of the rigs didn't return home, on the sled, as something had broken on it. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Are there highways leading to Alaska and in Alaska that shouldn't be traveled with an RV due to low bridge height that should be avoided?
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Some states here in lower 48 allow ATVs on county roads and was wondering if Canada and Alaska allowed them on roads or in parks?
Also what are the best months to run through Canada to Alaska for sight seeing, won't be doing any fishing.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alaska Ferry rates increasing in 2015:

News article

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of places to take a 4-wheeler (assume you mean the ATV/UTV kind)in Alaska as long as one respects signs, private property, etc.

Can't speak for along the way.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
That is certainly a trip I need to take! A question I have though is can we take a 4 wheeler up there and ride some? I have a 5th wheel toy hauler that will haul one pretty easy and it would make a great extension for exploring at our stops along the way.
Great posts too by everyone, started reading and couldn't stop!!
2018 Raptor 428SP

2hams2alaska
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to joe b. and sue.t for the comments.

Indeed, much improvement has taken place in treating end stage renal failure patients. The DW is a retired nurse and worked at times in the hospital renal dialysis unit back when the only option was center based hemo dialysis 3 times a week where the blood was externally cleansed. She always said she would never want to undergo that form of treatment. Now that she is a renal patient she can use the peritoneal dialysis process which is much less invasive and is done at home while she sleeps. Much less disruptive to her life.

Our class c motor home does have an on board generator (the typical Onan 4KW unit) which is more than capable of running the PD machine which requires 600 - 700 watts continuously. The reluctance to run it all night is consideration for mother nature, our fellow campers and our own peace and quiet. Naturally, we could use it if conditions forced us to do so, or if a beautiful spot becons to us for the night. Since most federal/state/provincial campgrounds prohibit overnight generator use, it would have to be a boodocking site.

The narcotic drug issue isn't the concern. We have carried her meds over and back several times and know the rules and what we must due to avoid problems at the border. Our concern is the need to carry the 12 liters of PD fluid she requires each night we are between delivery points where the supplies can be replenished. And due to Medicare requirements the supply point must be on US soil. Both storage volume and gross weight of the unit are concerns. Each 12 liters is about 30 pounds. Thus a 3 week supply (which I believe is the volume limit for our MH storage spaces) will add more than 630 pounds to the GVW. This will take some study and planning. But we are determined to go back in 2015.

By the way, sue we very much enjoy the information and in particular the lovely pictures you post to the group. And joe, the information and advice you dispense is much appreciated.

Mike and Arlyce
Mike NA9Q, Retired Electrical Engineer
My Shih Tzu traveling companions Jack and Diane
Memories Of My Beloved DW & Traveling Companion for 51 yrs Arlyce NB9Q
and of Pookie Sue, Our Shih Tzu, Companion 10/26/1992- 04/27/2010
2000 Coachmen 285QB

OsideRVers
Explorer
Explorer
Love your sign description! We're planning the trip to Alaska, leaving in late June from So. CA. Just hoping we can make it happen!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Survived everything except the car wash brush!

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used dollar store foam board. Large felt pen print is more visible.

For about $5 a UPS store will print and laminate a 11"x17" sign.

Bob

NewallaBus
Explorer
Explorer
Make your own. Richard

Gary_Dietz
Explorer
Explorer
Can you buy "Class of 2015 " signs somewhere here in the forum or do you make your own?

Gary

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
We (wife & I) planned to go to Alaska this summer (2014). Have 36ft double slide TT but bought a 2002 like new Lance TC for the trip for a lot of the same reasons as many on this forum did.
However, in Jan. a bad health problem hit me and spent 3 mths in hospitals and had 2 surgeries. I am doing fine now and getting better every day.
SO, we are planning on being in the Class of 2015!!!!!
Will leave northeast Texas late May. Go North to Winipeg, Can. then Northwest to Dawson Creek and on to Fairbanks via the Alaska Highway.
Allowing 3 mths for the trip.
Will have Class of 2015 sign on back of PU Camper with Name on the sign: Max & Ann Jones
SEE Ya'll in Alaska!!!!
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The rear mudflap on a DP is not there for rock deflection contrary to popular opinion. It's purpose is flash and dash and marketing purposes. If yours is less than 5" from the road at ride height it will kick up rocks especially on roads like the Alaskan Highway which can have significant rocks. In that case tie it up or remove it. I removed mine in Whitehorse but most of the rock damage had already occurred.

Bob

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
The full width rock guards is tied to how low they are to the ground. When the suspension on your RV goes up and down, it the guard is mounted too low, then it will drag the ground and send a shower of anything on the road back on your tow. Especially can be a problem on gravel roads or in areas of road construction. ON a normal paved (clean) highway, it isn't usually a problem it if hits the ground. Most of the time on pavement it will be lifted somewhat by the wind under your rig as you run at highway speeds.

The mud flaps, whatever you want to call them, that are mounted behind each rear set of tires, when properly mounted the correct distance behind the tires tend to work better. I have always heard that the mud flaps should be 1/3 of the wheel diameter off the ground when at travel height. So a 22.5 inch wheel should have them just over 7 inces off the ground and a foot or so behind the tire.

Now these guards will take care of most of the rocks your rig throws up, but most vehicles you meet going too fast, will be spitting rocks out the side to some degree. Stand beside a gravel road sometimes and watch where the rocks from approaching vehicles end up. (don't stand too close or you will be wearing them)
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".