cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route 12, Calf Creek, Kodachrome, Escalante in Utah

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I have a 30ft motorhome and am planning a trip to Route 12 in Utah, spending about 2 weeks there. I am planning to see the less popular areas but I plan on seeing Bryce and Capitol Reef as well. I know what to expect there.

But, I was looking at Calf Creek, Kodachrome, and Escalante for camping. Those areas seem beautiful. Could I get a 30ft motorhome in these campgrounds? From what I read Calf Creek and Escalante are tight fits.

If anyone has been here with a larger motorhome please let me know. I will be towing a small TOAD but I can unhitch that.

Also I see there is an Airstream campground there in a nice area, but I don't know if they allow non-Airstream campers there.

Thanks all.
16 REPLIES 16

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Campendium is a great site to check on information like this. Sometimes though, a campground review or photos, is not listed. Here's the link for Calf Creek Campground. Interesting that some of the photos, to me, show that you would fit, but the sign indicates otherwise. You'll need to sign up to see the photos, but this is a free site.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped at Kodachrome Basin SP in a 5th wheel in a pull-thru site long enough that I didn't even have to unhook. The pull-thrus are also full hookup sites, so it worked great for us after towing over UT 12 from Capitol Reef NP and before moving to Bryce Canyon NP. Kodachrome has some interesting hikes over bare rock outcrops, but not a lot of other attractions. It's fairly far off the highway, but I would definitely go back again for a night or two if visiting Bryce and Zion.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel