cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EZ-PASS rate dispute

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting article about EZ-PASS and how you are charged differently if you live in a state or are just traveling through.
I do not LIKE clickies.
http://www.timesunion.com/allnews/article/States-are-in-an-EZ-Pass-border-war-11289926.php

But for trusting souls
CLICK HERE
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind
13 REPLIES 13

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Thom, your right, I made a terrible, error - NJ-PA.

slay - Apparently they have retrained the toll collectors. Had to pay $16 cash on the spot. Honestly wasn't prepared for that, had $9 in my pocket. Had to scrounge around the truck to come up with it. Doubt the folks behind me where very happy.

Crossed the Tappanzee Bridge over the Hudson River heading up to New England, they nailed us $13.xx to go over that. Given the abhorrent condition of the road it should have been free or paid us!
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Love being in AZ where there are no toll roads. Each time the idea comes up for a vote its quickly voted down by a wide margin. Once it gets started, it would quickly spread by politicians who see $ signs! No thanks!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colorado has ExpressToll, on the toll roads in the Denver Metro area (E-470 around the east part of the Metro and the Northwest Parkway from I-25 to US 36 in Broomfield) as well as toll lanes on I-25, I-70, and US 36 between Denver and Boulder. There are 2 different rates; one is for ExpressToll Pass holders and the other for license plate reader tolls. Their per mile rates for E-470 for license plate tolls are among the highest in the nation, at 37 cents per mile.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission controls just about every bridge over the Delaware River between NY and NJ.

Uhh, No. They control bridges over the Delaware River between Pennyslvania and New Jersey, and have done so for over 80 years.

http://www.drjtbc.org/ Their website.

Bridges (and Tunnels) between New York and New Jersey are controlled by the Port Authority of NY and NJ.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I called E-Z Pass here in NY to see what's up and was told that this discrepancy is legit. Cuz likewise, MA E-Z Pass holders do not get the discounts that NY holders do while in NY. Same w/ other states.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Camperfriendly,

Next time you cross the Delaware take down the E-ZPass and pay cash. I had to do that with my MH pulling a toad. E-ZPass would charge me about $13 for a 4-axle vehicle but if I paid cash I was charged one rate for the MH and another $1 for the toad. Saved me about $5. This trick does not work at the Delaware Memorial Bridge crossing into Delaware. Only on the North Jersey bridges on I-78 and I-80.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
You have to understand, any time the politicians can stick it to someone else and appear to be giving a "special deal" to their constituents(read that more votes for me), they will. Take a close look at the fees charged to semi's, RV's with toads, and other large vehicles. Stick it to them personified. Of course they all justify these blatantly unfair toll setups by many different forms of fact twisting, but any time votes and a pool of money that they can tap for their pork barrel is at stake, it'll happen. If I drive over the Bay Bridge (US-50) over the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland with the toad attached it costs me over $10 more than if I separate the vehicles and pay separate tolls. If I had a Maryland tag instead of a Delaware one, my tolls would be considerably cheaper.

Don't hold your breath for getting this straightened out. It's all about votes and money. Get in the way of a politician with those in sight and you'll get run over for sure.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
How about this for a toll charge. The Delware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission controls just about every bridge over the Delware River between NY and NJ. Starting June 1 of this year the fee for a passenger vehicle is $1. Pass vehicle with 2 axle trailer is $2. A Ford Superduty pulling a standard 2 axle travel trailer is $2. NOW, if you have a superduty pulling a 2 axle 5ver the fee is suddenly $16. Tried to appeal it, total rip-off.

As for the NY Thruway, they charge whatever they want. One time they charge me as class 3H. Another (same day, same trip) they charge as a 4L.

If your a commuter from NJ into NYC and use EZ-Pass watch out. If your tag is issued by NJ you get charged more than if issued by NY. A NJ resident can get a NY issued tag, but they don't ever disclose any of it.

Good times.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Chase_WV
Explorer
Explorer
West Virginia will be starting a flat $8 per year per vehicle for unlimited use of the turnpike for residents only sometime this fall. There is also talk of raising the toll another $1 from 2 to 3 at each of the 3 plazas. Making it $9 for all Ohioans going to Myrtle Beach. There is also no out of state EZ Pass discount.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD
2012 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS (Reese Dual Cam WD)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbshoestring wrote:

Then again....no one is overly concerned with my opinion. If they were...tolls on an Interestate would be illegal. We pay taxes to maintain a national interstate system. Tolls should only be permitted on roads that are not part of the Eisenhower dream of being able to freely move east/west and north/south. WE ARE ALREADY TAXED FOR THAT PURPOSE. States shoud not be allowed to take a section of the federal road system...then tax it---AGAIN.

The only toll roads currently in the Interstate System are roads that were toll roads before they became part of the Interstate System, although that may be changing. Generally, the only non-emergency federal funding the toll roads receive is the funds required to comply with the federal Interstate standards for signage, lane markings, and other uniform safety features. The NYS Thruway for instance, was built as a toll road prior to the existence of the Interstate system with bond sales money, not tax dollars. Not all sections of the NYS Thruway are part of the Interstate System, and not all sections of the Interstate System in NYS are tolled.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I saw the sign in MASS recently...one fee for EZ PASS, a higher Rate for PAY BY PLATE, an even higher rate for out of state.

I agree with a discount for EZ-PASS user (pre-paid as it is), but totally disagree with higher rates for "visitors". A fee to drive a road should be the same for all drivers, no matter where the vehicle is registered.

Then again....no one is overly concerned with my opinion. If they were...tolls on an Interestate would be illegal. We pay taxes to maintain a national interstate system. Tolls should only be permitted on roads that are not part of the Eisenhower dream of being able to freely move east/west and north/south. WE ARE ALREADY TAXED FOR THAT PURPOSE. States shoud not be allowed to take a section of the federal road system...then tax it---AGAIN.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
try now
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Your clicky isn't working.