Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route Questions Ak to Wa State (Sumas)

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Headin out from ANC next week.

Wondering about portions of the route. Looking for safe and fast routes.

1. When I get to Charlie Lake via Canadian Hwy 97, do I continue on 97 or do I take 29 until it meets up with Hwy 97 again?

2. Looks like route from Prince George is 97 all the way to Cache Creek.

3. Is the fastest route from Cache Creek to Abbotsford via Canada 1 (97) or shld I go east to Kamloops and take Hwy 5?

Streets and Trips show the Hwy 5 as being more developed..maybe like in interstate divided hwy?

Anyways, I know there are adventurers here been there done that.

Rick in ANC....for now!
14 REPLIES 14

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Left ANC on sun at 2-PM. 1500+ miles and Tv camping in Dawson Creek tonight.

I beat the weather but not by much. Some nasty road after crossing into Yukon and a monster snow storm after passing Muncho Lake. I felt outside for ice on the mirror and none so i knew I cld keep drivin pretty safely. Kinda like ryme ice etc.

The fog on the Tok Cutoff was 40-mph for a spell.

Bottomed out the Minnie Winnie several times..Front end alignment was disturbed a little. Was like a roller coaster on several stretches.

Once I got to Kluane Lake, the roads were much much better. From then on things were ok per roads..Just normal probs etc.

Pups are adaptiong very very well. An Aussie and a BC...high energy but I stop abt every 100-miles and let 'em sniff and pee etc.

I'm sitting on the couch in the RV now and the BC is on my right and the Aussie on my left. FEd and happy Ha!.

Whelp thats it for now. I wld have posted sooner but just now got internet access.

Best,

RR

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
You can fuel at the Junction 37. Fuel might be a bit cheaper in Watson Lake, but for me, probably not enough to cover the 26 mile round trip into town and back to the Junction.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Should one go into Watson Lake and fuel before turning south?

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Liard hotsprings is a very nice stop this time of year. Great place to take a dip when on the south end of the Alaska Hwy!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Sue. More good advice from those that know.

Hope to head out Tue or Wed.

A rec was made to hit one of the hot springs along the way. If close access I may but I;m not aware.

Tanks again all,

Rick

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Read this RCMP webpage for info about bringing your firearms into Canada
Firearm Users Visiting Canada

Another good resource from the Canada Border Services Agency
Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices

For the route south, this time of year we'd choose the Alaska Highway all the way south to Dawson Creek, then south on Hwy 97 to Cache Creek, then continue south on Hwy 1 through the Fraser Canyon into the Lower Mainland.

Highway 29 is narrower than the Alaska Highway with many more hills and steep grades and doesn't save any time over AK Hwy and Hwy 97.

Keep in mind many lodges and gas stations are closed for the season, so keep on the top half of your tank. In spring 2012 before places had opened for summer we were a bit low on fuel arriving at Toad River, where the phone lines were down so there was no credit or debit cards being processed. Cash only. Keep a few dollars in your pocket ... enough to fill up if needed.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Rick, I remember we talked about Hwy 37 versus the Alaska Hwy in a previous thread. Choosing to go on the Alaska should be a fine choice at this time of year. The road maintenance will be better, in case of a snow storm blowing through.

I believe there is a problem with handgun ammo, as well as the hand guns. Since I haven't gone through with either in many years, not for sure on the answer but lean toward them being a no-no. The shotgun should just be a matter of filling out the form, signing it in front of the officer and paying the fee.

Hwy 29 is a good ride, last time I was on it there were lots of political protests signs about some potential dam that might be built, one of the towns has the world's largest fly rod, located at a city park and a nice spot to stop for a leg stretch and walk around.
have a good trip, makes me envious just to think about it. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Wilbert and Joe b,

My first drive outside from Ak and with then 2-pups. Woill ber and adventure for sure HA!.

I debated 37 but heard it's lots slower and lots of miles with hardly a shoulder. I was faster In guess.

Thanks for the pics Joe..Just go back a little and I'll be on 29..Easy.

Ha funny story Joe. I bet that was kinda scary. No harm tho.

Hey, to the RCMP allow the hollow points thru?

Wont have the gun. Just my old Mossberg Shotgun.

RR

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Rick, here is the Shell station at Charlie Lake and directly across the road from it is the Charlie Lake Provincial Park, a real nice place to camp.

Our last stop at Charlie Lake PP was in 2009.

Unless you just want to go as far as Charlie Lake, you might want to consider heading south at Junction 37, the Cassiar Highway. The turn off the Alaska Hwy is about 13 miles before you get to Watson Lake. I usually take this route as it is more scenic than the Alaska Hwy in my opinion. Of course Hwy 29 farther south is outstanding as well. Couple of real nice towns on 29 as well.

I generally plan for about 50 to 55 hours driving time to get from Nenana Alaska to Bellingham Washington, using either route. The Alaska Hwy is a faster drive for me than the Cassiar but less scenic, so it is often a toss up but I tend to use the Alaska Hwy north bound and the Cassiar south bound. No real reason other than habit, I suspect.

Either way once you leave Prince George south bound, you will be on Hwy 97, a good road, till about Cache Creek BC where you get on Hwy 1, as I remember and then to Sumas to cross into Washington. Also in the Charlie Lake area is the Rotary RV Park, run by the service club of the same name. It will have electric (hydro) plug ins available if you need them. Not sure when or if they close for the season. The Provincial park has a dump station (sani dump) and a water source but that could be shut off by the time you get there. The Shell station, across the highway, will let you have water, with a fill up of fuel I am sure.

In 2006, I was traveling solo over Hwy 29, as my wife had flown home from Anchorage, as I stayed another month in Alaska. Turned onto Hwy 29 and realized I was getting too tired to drive so found a nice pull off on my side of the highway. I snuggled in next to some willows, leaving plenty of room for the over the road truckers to have room to get in and out of the pull off. About 3 AM, I awoke to the most horrible noise. I thought the world was coming to an end from the sound of it. Quickly looked out the dinette window, and there less than 10 feet away from me was a passing train, running full speed. When I parked that night I hadn't noticed the train tracks just on the other side of the willows. No way was I going to get back to sleep, so had a cup of coffee and headed on down the road. I sure learned to check my surroundings better after that. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Second taking 1 from Cache Creek to Abbotsford. 5 is a better road but 45 miles farther and with longer pulls.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
Hwy 29 from Fort St John is a good road and that takes you right down to 97 through Prince George to Hope Bc all good road and scenic,That is the rouute I have used many times going to Fort St John, go north from Charlie Lake a couple miles and turn left at the Shell station.

thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

RR

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 29 from Fort St John is a good road and that takes you right down to 97 through Prince George to Hope Bc all good road and scenic,That is the rouute I have used many times going to Fort St John, go north from Charlie Lake a couple miles and turn left at the Shell station.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
JG1,

What abt from Charlie Lake? 29 or 97?

RR

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Take hwy 1 all the way to Hope, hwy 5 is the coke and you do not want that, to much out of your way plus a hard pull.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.