cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route Rochester SE MN to Duluth/Grand Marais

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
Going to be traveling from Rochester, MN to Two Harbors and Grand Marais. Not looking forward to driving thru the Minneapolis/St.Paul area. Any recommended routes or places to avoid.

Also what are some good destinations?
7 REPLIES 7

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I494 cross US52 south of I94. I94 is the route through St Paul (north side of the river). I494 is part of the beltway around the cities.

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Take 494, 694 to 35 North this takes you east of both St Paul and Minneapolis -no problem going this way

That is what I was thinking. Will that avoid the 94 interchange that is being worked on?

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
John M wrote:
Friends of ours who live in Rochester go up 42, cross the river at Wabasha, go up to Eau Claire, then take 53 up to Duluth. Up 61 from there.

Yes that would be the most relaxing by far. But according to google it looks to be an hour further. Looks like I will have to decide if relaxation or hit the metro.

Thanks.

John_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of ours who live in Rochester go up 42, cross the river at Wabasha, go up to Eau Claire, then take 53 up to Duluth. Up 61 from there.
John and Susan
2018 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Jeep Wrangler Toad

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US52 is divided highway to the Twin Cities. Taking the east bound beltway looks like the obvious way around downtown St Paul (I494, I694). They are currently reworking the US52/I94 interchange. So even if you didn't mind going through the city, it could be confusing until that is finished.

Years ago when I drove from Chicago to Mpls, I liked to travel along the Mississippi. But nothing stays close to the River north of Red Wing.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Take 494, 694 to 35 North this takes you east of both St Paul and Minneapolis -no problem going this way
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Define destinations ?
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks