cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route to Yellowstone

BigBlueDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to Yellowstone very soon. We are going to Arches NP, Craters of the Moon NP, Yellowstone NP & last Dinosaur National Monument. Attached is the link to the route I have planed. I think it is doable. My main concern is are we taking routes that we really should avoid since we are pulling fivers? Thoughts or comments on it?

RouteMap

Rig info:
2 Ford Powerstroke both pulling fivers, Keystone Laredos both 29ft & just under 10k lbs trailer weight.
2006 Crossroad Cruiser 25RS
2005 Bigfoot 2500 9.4 ---Sold
2003 F-250 Crew Cab SB 4x4 Diesel
11 REPLIES 11

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I think that is a very wise modification. As for Rangley to I-70, I made that route a few years ago in reverse to your projected route. It is clearly a road and pass (Douglas Pass) for experienced drivers, but I had no problem. By comparison, I have so far avoided towing from Ouray to Durango (or reverse) all these years. Lots of people do it and feel confident. I'm sure I could do it, but I had not done it.

Chevrolet 2500 Duramax/Allison and 34' fifth-wheel

BigBlueDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Could you all take a look at this route. I have incorporated the info provided by Thom02099 & TexasShadow.

RouteMapV2

BigBlueDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
BigBlueDiesel wrote:
kedanie wrote:
The only leg that you might re-think is the one across 550 southbound. It is a beautiful road but is very narrow in places without a guard rail. I was through there about a month ago on a motorcycle trip and there is one section of one lane due to slide damage. They have stop lights at either end to regulate the traffic. It didn't look like they were going to fix it any time soon.

Keith

Are you referring to a stretch of 550 between Durango & Rio Rancho?

My guess is, regarding the stretch from Ouray to Durango, over 3 passes in quick succession. There's been slide work on US 550 south of Ouray; even without that work, that's a dangerous road to take, not for the faint of heart! With those rigs, I'd give serious thought to taking that route. An alternative, and less stressful route, would be to take CO 62 from Ridgway to CO 145, and then take that south past Tellurde and on over Lizard Head Pass and on down into Dolores and Cortez, then back to Durango on US 160.

Very good point! Looks I need a little correction.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
double post
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigBlueDiesel wrote:
kedanie wrote:
The only leg that you might re-think is the one across 550 southbound. It is a beautiful road but is very narrow in places without a guard rail. I was through there about a month ago on a motorcycle trip and there is one section of one lane due to slide damage. They have stop lights at either end to regulate the traffic. It didn't look like they were going to fix it any time soon.

Keith

It,s the stretch between Montrose, CO and Durango over Red Mountain Pass. The one lane section is between Ouray and the top of Red Mountain.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see two parts that might give you some trouble.
The route down from Rangely CO to I 70 has a pretty rough stretch (I'm told)
and the route from Montrose down to Durango crosses 3 high passes, all over 10,000 feet.
for alternatives, you can go east on 40 from Rangely over to Meeker then down to I 70 and back to Grand Junction and down 50 to Montrose and follow it to Salida and then take 285 down to Santa Fe. or you could take I 70 from Rifle east to CO 24 and then south to Salida and so on.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigBlueDiesel wrote:
kedanie wrote:

Keith

My guess is, regarding the stretch from Ouray to Durango, over 3 passes in quick succession. There's been slide work on US 550 south of Ouray; even without that work, that's a dangerous road to take, not for the faint of heart! With those rigs, I'd give serious thought to taking that route. An alternative, and less stressful route, would be to take CO 62 from Ridgway to CO 145, and then take that south past Tellurde and on over Lizard Head Pass and on down into Dolores and Cortez, then back to Durango on US 160.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

BigBlueDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:
I don't think you will have any trouble on the trip having driven some of the roads you will be traveling on, and a map recon. Looks like a good get-a-way to me. Have a safe one.

Thanks for the info.

BigBlueDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:

Keith

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you will have any trouble on the trip having driven some of the roads you will be traveling on, and a map recon. Looks like a good get-a-way to me. Have a safe one.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran