cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rt 64 in new mexico

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on heading south on I-25 from Colorado Springs and getting on Rt 64 in New Mexico heading to Taos pulling 40 ft 5th wheel.What is this route like. Any forseen problems? 5th wheel is 40'long and 13'5"tall
5 REPLIES 5

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:
If your destination is Taos, allow me to recommend a different route: Head south on I25 to Walsenburg. Then turn west on Hwy 160. Go over LaVeta pass (a mild one with a wide road) to Fort Garland, CO, where you turn south on CO 159 / NM 522 into Taos. Easy peasy driving.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

This is the best route, (forgot about it) and the one we use the most, watch for the antelope along this route
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info.Eubank,I like the route you suggested

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
If your destination is Taos, allow me to recommend a different route: Head south on I25 to Walsenburg. Then turn west on Hwy 160. Go over LaVeta pass (a mild one with a wide road) to Fort Garland, CO, where you turn south on CO 159 / NM 522 into Taos. Easy peasy driving.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
From Angel Fire to Taos is a little narrow and curvy but we did fine with a dually and 40' fifth wheel. Take your time and enjoy
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven from I-25 thru Raton, Cimerron and Santa Fe, the first 2 there are some real curvy sections and a good pass to come over after Angle Fire. Coming up from Santa Fe is a easier drive but longer, just take your time and you'll be fine, we do it with a 43' 5th wheel towed by a Kenworth tractor
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.