cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safe Directions Please Santa Rosa N.M. To Austin, Tx

Mac964
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a safe route into Austin, Tx from Santa Rosa, N.M. We've made it from So.CA, but could use assistance and any DECENT RV parks or Resorts would help!!! Thank you all
5 REPLIES 5

MCDDY
Explorer
Explorer
The 1st part of that journey is pretty straightforward. South to Ft. Sumner, East to Clovis and toward Lubbock. Drop south at Littlefield to Lamesa and then on to Big Spring, San Angelo and on thru Fredericksburg toward Austin on 290. I guess everything depends on what part of Austin you need to get to, West Side on 290 or North Side via I-35. Probably would need to decide on that around Lubbock. Lots of options there and most of them good.

Dave
GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Safe? What are your worries?

Maybe they're worried about having to go through Roswell?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Quickest, it seems would be US 84 to US 60/ 84 E. This would be to Fort Stanton, Clovis to Lubbock to Sweetwater; then keep angling down to Winters, Coleman, Brownwood, Lampasas & on to Austin.

Or could use US 54 S towards Alamogordo, then take US 380 E to Roswell at Carrizozo. US 54 is a really good road most of the way, but still has a few miles of narrow two lane traffic in places. Haven't been on it in about a year or more, it had construction on it last times we used it, making improvements. Not sure how much has gotten finished.

:C West of Roswell US 70/US 380 to US 54 - - - - - -> US 380 runs from Roswell to Carrizozo to San Antonio, between Carrizozo & US 70 one passes Billy the Kid Country & Lincoln & Smokey Bear in Capitan all in Lincoln County & the neat Valley of Fire BLM Campground is near Carrizozo, then take US 54 south to Alamogordo. Or US 380 to San Antonio, NM & I-25. Or US 54 N to Santa Fe.

:C A really neat place is the Valley of Fires BLM Campground (near Carrizozo) is a first rate campground with electric & water hookups, good dump station and a fine shower house. Pics & description can be found:
Campground . . and . . Cloudcroft, Lincoln/Capitan, Carrizozo/White Oaks. But no, it is not a Resort, just a really neat place. No pool.

White Sands Nat'l Monument & Alamogordo Area.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last month we did Roswell NM to Austin, TX Via US 380 to US 87 To US 290.
Pretty scenery. No problems with road , not much traffic till we got near Austin. Had a great meal in Fredericksburg, TX.

We like to travel between 50 and 65 depending on conditions so we avoid Texas interstates. I never felt any pressure nor were there any scary moments.
Do not know about the road from your start to Roswell
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Safe? What are your worries?