cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Diego to Big Bear - what is easiest/least steep route?

rv619rv
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed from San Diego to Big Bear Lake, CA on Thursday 8/9, we are pulling a 25ft travel trailer, we are looking for the easiest route for a rig to get there. The 330 and 18 roads up the mountains out of San Bernardino look really steep - is the 38 any better/less steep? Or is it advisable to just take the long way around the mountain via I-10/62/247/18 and come in the back side of the mountain? Any tips very much appreciated! Thank you
5 REPLIES 5

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
https://www.flattestroute.com/?from=San+Diego%2C+CA%2C+USA&to=Big+Bear+Lake%2C+CA%2C+USA&travelMode=...
Excellent.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

babock
Explorer
Explorer
We have a house in Big Bear. We tow our boat up the 330 all the time.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
No need to take unnecessary detours. Come up the 330 and 18. Plenty of turnouts on the 330 to let traffic pass you.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
On Google Maps if you choose bicycle routing, it will show a plot of the elevation changes.

330 and 18 climbs from 1000ft to 7000 in about 30 miles, in a what appears to be a steady climb.

18 from the north starts higher, about 3000 ft, but does most of that climb in 15 miles. But then there's the 2000+ ft climb to Cajon Pass.

Years ago when I was in college in Pasadena, I attended a number of retreats around Big Bear. I don't recall the school buses having any problems with the direct route up from San Bernardino, even in the winter.