Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shorter Border Wait Times!

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Do notice the use of the word, Might!

http://azstarnet.com/business/local/border-wait-times-could-drop-with-addition-of-agents/article_ebc...

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA
5 REPLIES 5

Talleyho69
Passport cards allow you to use the Ready Lane. This makes things faster. We are in the process of renewing our passports, and for only $30 more, you can get a Passport Card, also good for 10 years. For us, it's a no brainer-when walking across at Tijuana, you get to go to the head of the line, and if we ever drive across at other than Lukeville, we can use the Ready Lane. It's the only one of the "enhanced" border crossing cards that you don't have to make an appointment somewhere and have an interview and get fingerprinted. Easy.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Now I ask WHY would CBP "encourage" more people to cross the border? Fewer customers and a higher level of paranoia means the money goes up the labor stays the same.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
At the Nogales crossing, I am guessing 2/3 or more of the new personnel will be for the new truck traffic coming from the port expansion in Guaymas. Traffic on Hwy 19 is like I10 was 10 years ago and only suppose to increase. This new increase in truck traffic will and is badly effecting road surface condition. I19 is still very good but can see cracks starting in the road surface. Last report from ADOT, nothing was planned for road surfacing.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
rocmoc wrote:
Do notice the use of the word, Might!

http://azstarnet.com/business/local/border-wait-times-could-drop-with-addition-of-agents/article_ebc...

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

They do need a lot more lanes to process everyone. Otay Mesa about 25 miles east of San Diego had only a couple of lanes last time I was there in 2004, and the wait was miles long. They checked each vehicle quickly, but still if there are 300 cars in front of you, it takes a long time. Better to have more lanes, and process 30 or 40 at a time.

From the Arizona Article.

'The two border crossings in Nogales will get 120 officers, while 25 will be assigned to the Douglas port and another 25 to San Luis near Yuma, U.S. Rep. Ron Barber announced.

“Customs and Border Protection officers are essential to the smooth flow of legal goods and commerce across the border,” said Barber, a Tucson Democrat who is on the House Committee on Homeland Security. “I have been working to ensure that as we work on border security, we also ensure that we have economic security — which is possible only if ports are staffed so there are not excessive wait times.”'

So I wonder how many of those 120 will be supervisors? How many will be out there checking cars, VS how many patrolling the border looking for illegal crossing by foot or 4X4? Sure it is great to get more help, but still I think that you will not see that much change on a normal day. Each agent will work about 200 days a year, for 8 hours. There are over 7,000 hours per year, and each one will be on station about 7 hours, (meal breaks, and time for the RR ect) or about 1,400 hours. It takes 5-6 full time officers to make up 1 additional person there 24/7, because of weekends, time off for vacations, training, ect. Out of 120 officers, I can see the need for about 10 supervisors too. Supervisors typically will not be asking the person for a drivers license and did you just buy this car? That is left to the rank and file officers.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Some lanes are going to be Sentry lanes and some Ready lanes, the rest will be your slow moving hours long to cross lanes if you do not have a Sentry pass or the Ready lane documents.

The San Ysidro port of entry (San Diego) has been partially redone and all they did was create more Sentry lanes and Rady lanes, those that do not have these passes or documents have to endure the long wait times any way.

If you want to traverse the border fast get a Sentry pass or a Ready lane pass, unless you want to spend time in a slow line.

Be carfull of what lane you take CBP officers get real mad when you accidentally use the wrong lane, some will give you a fine, the Mexican side is very poorlly marked as to what lanes are for what.

navegator