cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonora Pass with a small trailer & a competent truck?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that Sonora Pass in the Sierra is not recommended for trailers -- I have driven it in a truck several times. But we'd like to boondock in the high country up there, since the snow is gone due to the drought.

So that is the question -- our trailer is very small and light. It has electric brakes. My Tacoma has had no trouble pulling the trailer up steep hills, and down has been no trouble -- just put it in low gear. I would never take a big trailer on those hairpin turns -- but with proper caution, is this possible and safe with my particular rig?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
22 REPLIES 22

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Link to pics of Sonora Pass https://www.google.com/search?q=sonora+pass&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wZVsVZ
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the Mono Cty report, trucks, especially semis (5 axle), most often have problems when taking an uphill curve. If the trailer wheels run onto the shoulder (or beyond) they get stuck. They don't have the power and traction to overcome the grade, curve and trailer drag.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will have to drive it again in my truck and scout it out before making a decision, erring on the side of caution.
About our trailer

Karenys
Explorer
Explorer
We live near Sonora Pass and I would NEVER cross it with any trailer. We usually go over Tioga Pass when we are heading out and returning. There are white knuckle parts of Sonora Pass that even scare the locals! (well me at least)

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we crossed 108 some years ago, there must have been a rally of some sort in Reno. We saw clusters of motorcycles through out the area (Tonohpa, Lake Tahoe, etc). But I don't recall any annoyances on 108 or 4. I was in an small SUV trying to see as much of the mountains as possible while traveling generally north from Big Pine to Graeagle (in 2 days).

And the only problem with RVs was meeting a class C on a narrow blind corner on CA4. The grades aren't as steep as on 108, but the area around the summit narrows down to 1 1/2 lanes.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
profdant139 wrote:
Not that there is anything wrong with motorcycles. But I want absolute silence when I boondock, if at all possible.
Unless you pick a day of a rally I don't think you are going to have motorcycles zipping by all day. Even less at night.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I know that Sonora Pass in the Sierra is not recommended for trailers -- I have driven it in a truck several times. But we'd like to boondock in the high country up there, since the snow is gone due to the drought.

So that is the question -- our trailer is very small and light. It has electric brakes. My Tacoma has had no trouble pulling the trailer up steep hills, and down has been no trouble -- just put it in low gear. I would never take a big trailer on those hairpin turns -- but with proper caution, is this possible and safe with my particular rig?

I have gone over the pass many times. I wouldn't hesitate to tow a small trailer like your's over it. Have fun.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger, good point about the motorcycles -- I may have to rethink this idea, if only because of the noise! There are some side roads up in the high country, but the campsites would not be far enough from Highway 108 to escape that noise.

Not that there is anything wrong with motorcycles. But I want absolute silence when I boondock, if at all possible.
About our trailer

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not exactly boondocking, but Deadman Campground near the entrance to Kennedy Meadows resort, just west of the pass, should be easy to drive into. I did it in the fall, so it was busy, but not full.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Have you been up/down this road with truck only?

I'm thinking that you can go up, no sweat. Down, as I said in my earlier post, could be a bit of a problem. Going 10 mph in first gear downhill will get you rammed from behind by the zillions of motorcycles on that road.

Perhaps your biggest problem might be getting your rig off the road to the boondocking spot. There are not many side roads. I've seen a couple of streamside spots right by the road, not spent the nights there, but have enjoyed some long afternoons. Perhaps the one I liked best was by Soda Creek bridge. I may have the name wrong. One time when I was there, the military from the training camp down the hill had the pulloffs full of trucks and portable toilets.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't do it, real tight turns and do you know how steep 26% really is?
But if you do decide to do think twice about not taking water in your tank. I don't remember there being piped water anywhere on the pass, but I could be wrong. It is the most scenic pass in the sierra's in my opinion. Have a great trip
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer is 10 feet (no kidding) from ball to axle! (I just now measured it.) Its dry weight is 2500 lb. -- I usually tow with empty tanks and refill after we are set up in a campsite. My truck has a 6000 pound towing capacity, with a tow package (including transmission cooler). There is no exhaust brake, but in first gear on a steep downhill I have never been able to go faster than ten mph with my foot off the brake.

If I seem super-conservative and risk-averse, that's because I am. 😉
About our trailer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As long as your truck can pull the 26% grade you will be fine in the curves.

Kingpin (ball) to axle is the critical distance and I think you are fine.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

It wouldn't be my choice:) I've done on a motorcycle and it required constant focused concentration. Do you have a manual transmission and an exhaust brake???