cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for Destruction Bay

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Can anybody recommend a CG in the Destruction Bay area for 2 nights. Just can't nail one down. Thanks
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
12 REPLIES 12

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the campsites have a pipe protuding from the ground for grey water for use by tenters.

From http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/camping-parks/campgrounds.php#facilities

Campground Facilities

The Yukon government's roadside campgrounds offer picnic tables, campfire pits, firewood and at least one picnic shelter. Youโ€™ll also rely on outhouses and hand-pumped cold water.

Government campgrounds do not have RV dump stations. You can get a list of dump station locations at Visitor Information Centres.

And from http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/camping-parks/rvdump.php

There are NO dump stations in Yukon Government Campgrounds.

This page also has a downloadable list of RV dump stations.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Sue, if there are no sani-dumps at any of the Yukon Campgrounds, I wonder what that pipe sticking out of the ground was for at Congdon Creek?
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
rkassl wrote:
From what I have read the CG is a beautiful area. Will 15 amps keep the converter charging the battery? Anybody done 15 amps before? Suggestions?

Thanks

Sure, with care works fine - And you can buy the "We survived 15A " t-shirt there!

Lot of 15A up North.
RVing since '74..

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
rkassl wrote:
From what I have read the CG is a beautiful area. Any suggestions how to manage on 15 amps? I could put the hot water heater on gas, is it worth putting the refer on gas too? Using the 12 volt lights should help. Will 15 amps keep the converter charging the battery? Anybody done 15 amps before? Suggestions?

Thanks

Easy. Put your appliances on propane and avoid using more than one high load device at a time (microwave, toasters, electric kettles etc). Forget about using AC but you can use just about anything else as long as you don't gang them up. Your batteries will be fine.

I look at 15A as similar to dry camping with my 2000W generator only with the luxury of not being subject to generator usage times.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, there is no sani-dump at Congdon Creek, or at any of the Yukon Gov't campgrounds.

In Haines Junction one can dump their tanks at Kluane RV Kampground or at the Tags gas station/RV Park if fuel is purchased. The Tags dump station is easy to access.

In Beaver Creek, the Westmark RV Park lets everyone dump for free regardless of whether you buy fuel or not. I like this policy because it helps keep Yukon clean. I hope this doesn't change next year when the bus tours are no longer running on the Alaska Highway ... the sani-dump at the Westmark RV Park is used by the tour buses overnighting at the Westmark Inn.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Both Congdon Creek and Cottonwood are good. Both only accept cash, no credit cards. The 15 amp works fine for us as we switch the fridge and water heater over to propane at Cottonwood. At Congdon, we just run the lights off the battery. The Congdon Creek campground has sites where you can see the lake and others back in the trees. Took a walk through the tree one and found it to be somewhat buggy.

The couple that owns and operates Cottonwood creek are Ontario folks and have owned Cottonwood for 30 or 35 years I would guess. They have a bird house tradition and you will see many bird houses around the campground. They did sell fishing licenses at one time, don't know if they still do or not. All electric power comes from on site generators but the owners have them well isolated so far as sound is concerned, just not a problem. Well run place, where they ask you to haul your trash with you because of the number of bears in the area. Congdon Creek is sometimes closed, to soft sides, because of bears. Both campgrounds use a sani-dump, away from the lake, as I don't remember any sites with sewer at the sites, which is fine, as no one wants sewer, leaking into that pristine lake.

Kluane Lake is beautiful beyond words, sue t. has some photos that come close to showing it though, but standing on the shore is the best way to enjoy it for me and many others that pass that way.

Our site and truck camper in 2009 at Cottonwood

Kluane Lake

The office area
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We usually camp without hook-up, using battery only. Hot water heater and fridge both work well on propane.

We have long hours of daylight in the north in summer so don't use too many lights inside. Even when we're 'South of 60' and using the RV lights, or winter camping here, our two 6-volt batteries last 3-4 days without being charged. Most of that usage would be fridge & furnace.

Some campgrounds in the north offer only 15A, especially those that make their own electricity via a generator. Some shut down their generators at night to preserve fuel. So best to get comfy using batteries and propane.
sue t.

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have read the CG is a beautiful area. Any suggestions how to manage on 15 amps? I could put the hot water heater on gas, is it worth putting the refer on gas too? Using the 12 volt lights should help. Will 15 amps keep the converter charging the battery? Anybody done 15 amps before? Suggestions?

Thanks
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

bobsinn
Explorer
Explorer
ccchuck wrote:
We really enjoyed our stay at Cottonwood RV Park - friendly folks, beautiful location.

Ditto

we stayed there twice. As I recall they only have 15A power , if that makes a difference.
2001 Itasca Sundancer 27P
2000 Honda Civic

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoyed our stay at Cottonwood RV Park - friendly folks, beautiful location.
RVing since '74..

morley
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Sue we have stayed at both and they are both very nice, well maintained and great scenery. Congden Creek is priced right and has many great sites.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Cottonwood RV Park is south of Destruction Bay and a pleasant spot. On the shores of Kluane Lake. I hear the owners are pleasant.
http://www.yukonweb.com/tourism/cottonwood/

Congdon Creek Yukon Gov't Campground is about half way between Destruction Bay and Cottonwood and is a great spot but no services. Only $12/night too. One of our favourite spots to camp.

In Destruction Bay ... there isn't any place I would recommend. The two campgrounds are just gravel parking lots exposed to the elements. Not too many amenities.
sue t.