cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taylor Hwy and Campbell Hwy conditions

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Alaska for 2019. I last did this in 2005 in a truck camper but next year will be in a 36' Class C pulling a toad.

Would like to return to the US via the Taylor Hwy through Dawson City and the Campbell Hwy to Watson Lake.

Can anyone give me some info on road conditions of these routes for my Class C? We'd be leaving Tok at the end of September which is what I did in 2005 and managed to miss any bad weather.

Thanks,
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition
5 REPLIES 5

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
As well mentioned, you just cannot predict road conditions for 2019, even with a crystal ball in the far north - especially on those two routes !!!!!

One thing I can predict for certain : The east Campbell Hwy. portion between Canol Road to Watson Lake will have intermittent rough surfaces, ruts, and perhaps hit or miss impassible portions due to potential extreme rainfall events...The west side wasn't so bad when I travelled on it in 2008 as I turned around 3 miles or so past Canol road junction (from west to east) and headed back to Carmacks....

A trucker in Liard Hot Springs told me I was lucky I didn't proceed as another trucker he knew got stuck on the east Campbell and had to get an excavator to pull the semi out of where it had gotten stuck.

Based on my one time experience witnessing the east Campbell, I would not attempt to pass thru there with at least a 4wd rig, and certainly not in a motorhome unless they pave it all.

If Sue were to repost her 2008 east Campbell Hwy. pictures when she travelled thru there, the OP would might want to reconsider that route for sure.

The Taylor Hwy. (to Jack Wade Jct. at mile 96 I can account for) has gotten a bit better since the major 2010 washouts took place, as they re-engineered parts of the roadway and well, some of it is the same so and so but is travel some in almost every type of rig - just take one's time on the rougher surfaces and all will be fine on the Taylor...The linking 14 mile Boundary Spur Road is now completely paved for the first time in 2014 leading to the border station and that has been a blessing the last two times I driven to the Canadian Border there.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Couple more, if you get off course up there. Enjoy.:C

http://www.drivebc.ca/

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/Highways/Highway-Conditions
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Drew,

Thanks, yes I beat it out in 2005 before the closed the road. We can make our decision at the last minute depending on situtations and weather. Was hoping road conditions had improved in 13 years but there may not be a good reason to do so.

MDK - great link!

Just hoping not to use the same roads from/to Watson Lake and Tok.

Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Try this

This one might be more up to date than the first link
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dawson City would generally be closing up for the season at the end of September, which I guess you probably already know.

Predicting road conditions a year and a bit in advance is a tall order. I would expect, based on traveling over it about a year ago, that the Taylor Highway to the Top of the World Highway would be acceptable. The Taylor Highway further north (to Eagle) is a different story, and would be somewhat rough going with such a rig. The Campbell Highway is apparently much less maintained and probably would not be the wisest to use with a big class C and a toad. The Klondike Highway to Whitehorse is better maintained.