cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thru NJ to Long island

rbos57
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for any insight you can give me. Las Vegas to Long Island. Looking for the best route, least stressful way into Long Island New York.11'1" clearance. Happy to go north or south or any other direction to avoid inconveniences. In no hurry at all.

29ft tt RAM 3500 6.7 cummins
29 ft tt
2016 RAM 3500 6.7 CUMMINS
6 REPLIES 6

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We live on Long Island and our choice is the George Washington Bridge to the Throgs Neck Bridge then follow I295 to I95 (the LIE). Going the Veranzano Bridge route means taking the Outerbridge or Goethels bridges to Staten Island. Both bridges have extremely narrow lanes - our friends refer to it as the "OMG" bridge. No time is especially risk free in terms of traffic at the GW and cross Bronx. We usually aim for hitting the GW and Cross Bronx expy at mid day. Depending on where on LI you plan to go, try to be at your destination by 3 or so since rush hour traffic builds after 3. We usually pick a campground not too far from the bridge and stay there the night before, then head out 10ish. Happy to provide any other information you might need.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of tolls too!

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the Verazano Narrows Bridge will put you in Brooklyn, which is technically the end of Long Island, BUT, you are left with nothing but congested city streets to get you further out on the island. You cannot use the Belt Parkway or any other parkway in NY for that matter due to low bridges. I'm not familiar with what roads you would need to take from there.

Anyone I have heard about uses the Geo. Washington Bridge, but as others have said, the is NO way to get there without a ton of stress. Unless maybe one of the ferries from Connecticut. I have no experience with those either.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Rbos,

There isn't any good way to get where you want to go. NYC drivers are all suicidal, but they have to be. Your best bet (short of chartering a barge in Cape May) would be to approach the city on I-78 and watch for I-287. Take I-287 south to Outer bridge crossing. Stay with I-287 that will take you to the Narrows Bridge (Verrazono?) (Narrows is where it is the Italian was the political name.) Across that, you are technically on Long Island.

You are on your own....

Matt - a refugee from Megapolios
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
gps. Differents.. never seen that before.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
RU able to drive in the wee hours of the morning? It will make a differents.