cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I80 from NE Ohio through Chicago to Mt. Rushmore

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone taken this route? If so what has your experience been going through the Chicago area? Also are there interesting stops along the route that we should stop and see? Thanks in advance for your help.
6 REPLIES 6

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you get west of Chicago, I-80 isn't that busy. We took it across Iowa and then north on 29 to Sioux Falls SD last summer. Was an easy drive. We started out west of Chicago so didn't have to deal with the mess.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
see current thread covering this subject. NY to California
bumpy

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
At some point you will be leaving I-80 and heading farther north to get to the Black Hills. Not sure where you plan to do that. Central Nebraska has some interesting pioneer-related sites, not the least of which is the big "covered wagon arch" over I-80 itself, near Kearney. It's worth a stop to visit - lots of interesting historical dioramas inside. There are living history villages such as Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer, and some real historical sites, such as Ft. Kearny State Historical Site (the old fort - not like any fort you've seen in the movies, but genuine just the same). If you get all the way to western Nebraska, Ash Hollow, Chimney Rock & Scottsbluff (on US 26 rather than I-80) are worthwhile stops as well.

Should you choose to head north to I-90 farther east than that, check out the Corn Palace in Mitchell, the interstate rest area along the Missouri River just east of Chamberlain (some neat displays about the Lewis & Clark expedition), Wall Drug, and the Badlands (you can drive the loop through the park off I-90 and don't necessarily have to spend the night).

Best possibility if you have the time - go out via I-80 and back via I-90, or the reverse. Best of both worlds. ๐Ÿ™‚

I-80 around the south side of Chicago can be crowded, especially at rush hour and on Friday afternoons (heading east) or Sunday afternoons (heading back into the city), but otherwise isn't bad. You may encounter a toll or two; the Illinois I-Pass is accepted on EZ-Pass routes, including the Ohio Turnpike, so you should have reciprocity.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I80 runs south of Chi. Gets congested where IL. Toll interchange is.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Chicago can be a little tough at times but quite doable.
Might Google each state for points of interest.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at Freedom Rock in Iowa. Just a mile or so off the expressway.
http://www.thefreedomrock.com/
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer