cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for the Pinery Provincial Park, Ontario from Michigan?

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Southeastern Michigan and have started planning a trip to The Pinery next year. We've had a 19' jayco hybrid for 2 years and feel comfortable making the trip. We're thinking of making a trip without the trailer to check things out. (We like driving through campgrounds and finding good sites so we're not disappointed. Pics only go so far). I'd appreciate any tips of that area. Excited to make Canada "our place" for camping.

Links to websites/articles are good too.
2011 Acadia AWD
2006 Jayco Jay Feather 19H
Me, wife, daughter (7), daughter (5), son (1)
26 REPLIES 26

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
nothing to worry about. follow the rules and be honest and direct you wont have any trouble. secondary inspections happen. nothing to lose sleep over.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
no need for a day pass. its included with your camping.

Good

Jebby14 wrote:

also plan on gas being expensive here and toll being brutal towing a trailer over the border. with the exchange it will take the sting out for ya.

Not horrible but it adds up. $3/car + $3/per axle I haven't looked at gas mileage the same since buying a travel trailer 2 years ago.

Jebby14 wrote:

the Pinery normally has an AMAZING beach but with the water the way it is this year its almost non existant. 5 or 6 feet instead of 100-150 ft

That sucks. The beach is the main reason we'd be going.

Really thinking I should take a drive over there without the trailer and check it out.

Edit: Only thing that scares me is getting back into the US. 15 years ago my then girlfriend and I went from sault sainte marie, MI into Canada and realized there was nothing to do there so we headed back to the bridge. Border agents sent us to the inspection area and I assume thought we were transporting drugs or something. They didn't tear apart our car or anything and probably realized we were just young dumb kids so they let us go. That was before 9/11 so who knows how they are now.

Thanks for the info.
2011 Acadia AWD

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
no need for a day pass. its included with your camping. just book a site for the time you want to be there. also plan on gas being expensive here and toll being brutal towing a trailer over the border. with the exchange it will take the sting out for ya. oh and expect to drive. the park is massive if you want to see all over it. on a side note the Pinery normally has an AMAZING beach but with the water the way it is this year its almost non existant. 5 or 6 feet instead of 100-150 ft

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
...I like riverside 4 but there are nice spots all over. GREAT spot for a canoe or kayak. expect to give your first born though Ontario parks are super pricy

Thanks, I'll check out Riverside 4 first. The state park campground I just stayed at only has 250 sites so 1,000 at the Pinery is a little crazy to sort through.

I just realized the exchange rate is in my favor, $50 site is $37 US.

I got sticker shock from the price of an annual day pass. $175. It's under $15 here for all the state parks. I need to find out if the camping permit requires a separate day-pass.
2011 Acadia AWD

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
oh and book well in advance. the park books up

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 19 footer. the pinery is one of my favorite parks. I like riverside 4 but there are nice spots all over. GREAT spot for a canoe or kayak. expect to give your first born though Ontario parks are super pricy

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:
It's a bit old (see the web link), but we have visited Pinery quite a few times in the past an we haven't had any problems with longer RV's, we stayed in Riverside area 1.

It's very busy during the summer months, we enjoy the shoulder seasons, much quieter. Macgregor Point is also very nice.

Pinery

Thanks for the link. Nice pics. Beaches look nice.
2011 Acadia AWD

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
Brynjolf wrote:
The Ontario Parks reservation site has several photos of each campsite, along with a description and relative quality ratings. While everyone's idea of a perfect site varys, the information in the OP reservation system is fairly helpful.

My best advice for camping at any Ontario Parks campground is (1) yup, its expensive, but well worth it (2) bring lots of extension cord - at least 50' in addition to your 25' or so stock (3) the sites aren't level - make sure you've brought levellers in one form or another (4) there is no on-site water. fill up at the dumpstation on your way in, or use a bucket at a spiggot located throughout the campground (5) reservations are recommended.

Ok. We only do state campgrounds here in Michigan (love big trees overhead) so I'm used to the "Electric Only" sites, filling up and dumping at the dump station, and using a 25' 30amp cord in addition to the trailer's cord. The price was higher ($50/night compared to $20-30/night) but that's ok if sites are nice. We make reservations up to 6 months in advance to make sure we get in.

Michigan has been using the same online reservation system for 1-2 years and it's great. The pics and info are helpful but Ontario's is even better with firepit placement and distance to power pole. Some firepits are put in the worst spots, drives me nuts, anyhow...

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's my kind of place.
2011 Acadia AWD

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
It's a bit old (see the web link), but we have visited Pinery quite a few times in the past an we haven't had any problems with longer RV's, we stayed in Riverside area 1.

It's very busy during the summer months, we enjoy the shoulder seasons, much quieter. Macgregor Point is also very nice.

Pinery

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
And...
Ontario Parks are 'campgrounds' NOT RV parks.
Lots of tight corners, overhanging branches etc.

Brynjolf
Explorer
Explorer
The Ontario Parks reservation site has several photos of each campsite, along with a description and relative quality ratings. While everyone's idea of a perfect site varys, the information in the OP reservation system is fairly helpful.

My best advice for camping at any Ontario Parks campground is (1) yup, its expensive, but well worth it (2) bring lots of extension cord - at least 50' in addition to your 25' or so stock (3) the sites aren't level - make sure you've brought levellers in one form or another (4) there is no on-site water. fill up at the dumpstation on your way in, or use a bucket at a spiggot located throughout the campground (5) reservations are recommended.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search this Forum for `Pinery' and read on. If not enough do a Google search for the same subject but note it is in Canada for there seem to be several Pinery's.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)