cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips for the Pinery Provincial Park, Ontario from Michigan?

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Southeastern Michigan and have started planning a trip to The Pinery next year. We've had a 19' jayco hybrid for 2 years and feel comfortable making the trip. We're thinking of making a trip without the trailer to check things out. (We like driving through campgrounds and finding good sites so we're not disappointed. Pics only go so far). I'd appreciate any tips of that area. Excited to make Canada "our place" for camping.

Links to websites/articles are good too.
2011 Acadia AWD
2006 Jayco Jay Feather 19H
Me, wife, daughter (7), daughter (5), son (1)
26 REPLIES 26

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
The beach being smaller means the water level in the lake has risen which is a good thing. We were in Tobermory in August, and it looks like about 2 feet higher there, so I assume since water finds its level, it's the same at the Pinery.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, the Bend is busy in the summer..... pretty well shuts down after Labor Day Weekend. The Pinery is large, no doubt about it...... and the reason the roads etc seem so narrow is because they are not allowed to leave a "large footprint". It is classfied as a natural campground. They do a pretty good job of keeping it natural. You wont have any problems with your trailer, especially if you go to Riverside one. Good pictures.... as much as the beach has shrunken, it still is nice, and the Sauble is great for canoing/kayaking.
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
Made it back Sunday night. Seeing the blood moon in Port Huron was a nice treat ๐Ÿ™‚

We took highway 30 to 7 to 21 there and highway 21 back. I didn't know that part of Ontario had so many farms and wind turbines. Very nice drive although we're used to 115kmh speed limits here in Michigan but it would be perfect with a trailer.

We first drove to Grand Bend and drove down the main strip to the beach. Nice area but I can imagine the amount of people in the summer. Since it was Sunday and late September, all the restaurants and shops were closed.

Pinery park:
Gorgeous park. I'd love to go back when the leaves start changing. The park is huge and requires a lot of driving especially with the day use swim area road being a one way. The river looked great for kayaks/canoes.

Beach:
You're right about the high water level. Campground beach is just a bunch of driftwood.

Campground:
I haven't seen a Michigan state campground with roads as narrow as Pinery. Feels like you're off-roading. Very pretty sites but it's very tight for trailers.

Pictures
2011 Acadia AWD

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
adam9280 wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
The reason you need a l-o-n-g extension cord at Ontario Provincial Parks is because one power pedestal serves two adjacent sites. Sometimes this means that the power cable will be on the "wrong" side of the camper.

I have the trailer's (need to measure it) and a 25ft extension (30amp). Should get one more to be safe. Of course, having a smaller trailer helps get it closer when the site is tight.

I believe that the campsite descriptions for individual sites on the provincial park website gives the length required to get to the electrical pedestal. I've hit provincial park sites where 90 ft. of cord is required, I carry a long 15 amp contractor's electrical cord, better to have some juice than none!

For getting C$, if you have a debit card, hit a Canadian ban with an ATM, your US debit card should work and there are 2 Canadian banks in Grand Bend, close to the park

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
duty free will work fine. stop at the only one you can (should be before your cross)
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
What's the best way to exchange money? We'd like to have some Canadian for small stuff. We'll be there Sunday so I assume banks are a no-go. I read online the DUTY FREE shop is good but wasn't sure. Do we go to the Canadian side or USA side shop?
2011 Acadia AWD

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:
The reason you need a l-o-n-g extension cord at Ontario Provincial Parks is because one power pedestal serves two adjacent sites. Sometimes this means that the power cable will be on the "wrong" side of the camper.

I have the trailer's (need to measure it) and a 25ft extension (30amp). Should get one more to be safe. Of course, having a smaller trailer helps get it closer when the site is tight.
2011 Acadia AWD

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
rickm wrote:
www.campsitepictures.com
I havn't been on there in quite some time ..... WAS a great site until now, they charge to see pics of certain Ontario Parks.... and luck has it, the Pinery is one of them.

Thank you. $5/yr isn't bad. I was expecting more. There's a bunch of pics for each site. Much better than Michigan's 3 so-so ones.

rickm wrote:
www.campsitepictures.com
Enjoy your visit, let us know what you think and which sites top your list. We have a list of most sites in areas 1 and 4, with a 1 to 10 rating and comments!

I definitely will be back to report my findings. 1-10 rating??? I only do GOOD, MEH, and NOPE ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Acadia AWD

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
www.campsitepictures.com
I havn't been on there in quite some time ..... WAS a great site until now, they charge to see pics of certain Ontario Parks.... and luck has it, the Pinery is one of them. Enjoy your visit, let us know what you think and which sites top your list. We have a list of most sites in areas 1 and 4, with a 1 to 10 rating and comments!

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, the weather man is saying a beautiful weekend here in SW Ontario, so you will get a good chance to check out the park. Like i said in my previous post, Area 1 is all pull-thru's, it's mostly where the larger trailers go...... so, by 11pm, you can hear a pin drop, but, area 4 is very kids/family oriented..... both are good. We did the walk and write down the sites thing.....be prepared to walk, it's big! You will have to pay to go thru the park. I will get that link for you in the a.m., we are off to Wheatly PP for the weekend..... close by, and a terrific little park

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
rickm wrote:
We stick mainly to Riverside 1 or 4. Both have their advantages over the other. RS1 is all pull-thru sites, close to the store, canoe rentals, and walking distance to the nature center. RS4 has some awesome Riverside sites, if you can get one

We're going this weekend without the trailer to check it out and write down some good sites for next year. A few people have said RS4 is nice.

rickm wrote:

There is a website out there that actually shows pics of most of the sites there .... I will send a link when I can find it.

A website other than the online reservation campsite pics? I'd love to see it.
2011 Acadia AWD

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy the Pinery ..... we make our annual visits in July, and also in October, when the park is at it's best.....meaning there is hardly anyone there, the colors are changing ....it's just totally back to nature. We stick mainly to Riverside 1 or 4. Both have their advantges over the other. RS1 is all pull-thru sites, close to the store, canoe rentals, and walking distance to the nature center. RS4 has some awesome Riverside sites, if you can get one, although there are many other nice sites off the river as well. Farther away from everything else, but that's a good thing sometimes. They have added Hydro to some of the sites in Riverside 2 and 3 this year ....that's a good thing. There are always things to do in the park, lots of activities going on .... great hiking/ biking trails. It is very busy in the summer, and yes, this year the beach was almost extinct. High water levels, as well as summer storms/winds brought water levels right up to the dunes. The new handi-cap beach access had to be rebuilt this spring .... we were there last October when the water was over the end of it. Very nice access for wheel chairs, they spent big bucks to build it. There is a website out there that actually shows pics of most of the sites there .... I will send a link when I can find it. The one thing you will find different about Provincial Parks as compared to State Parks, well , yes one is cost, but in PP, you are not on top of your neighbour .... they keep uor parks as natural as possible. You will enjoy the Pinery, I guarantee it!

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
nothing to worry about. follow the rules and be honest and direct you wont have any trouble. secondary inspections happen. nothing to lose sleep over.

Agree, we have crossed both ways each winter for 10 years now, only have been inspected once and had some dog food taken (it was the "flavour of the month" on the restricted list, beef). The other time way back was when my university buddy and I hopped over to Detroit for a short trip, we were detained and questioned, it didn't help our cause that we laughed at the picture of "tricky Dickie" Nixon on the wall, it was at the time of his "troubles"!

The toll for our 39 ft. 5er and Dually is under $10 at the Ambassador bridge. When going back to the US be sure to use the correct lane, at the Ambassador bridge there is a dedicated RV lane. They don't appreciate you using the wrong lane. There is usually a dedicated rent-a-cop that directs you to the correct lane.

Answer the questions directly and don't try to embellish or make conversation and you will be fine.

As for gas cost, Pinery isn't a great distance from the border, if you fill up before crossing and don't do a lot of sightseeing you may make it back to the US without filling up. Worst case, it will cost you an extra $20 or so for a fill depending on your tank size.