cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To trailer or not

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still looking to make a run to Alaska this summer. I just received a wedding invite from my last unmarried cousin. He is getting married at Brookfield Zoo in Chicago. (remember getting married at church and ham sanwiches in the basement? Not cool anymore.) The date is June27. His dad has never missed a function. I should go. I plan to leave from there. I am trying to decide wether to haul my 5x8 cargo trailer. With the trailer I have room for extra water, fuel, fishing gear, kayak on roof, gen set, etc. I could even bring a dirt bike. Without the trailer, just me and the dog, I can still carry most every thing I need. Space will be limited, but the freedom of not having a trailer back there means a lot too. When I go bird hunting in fall for a few weeks at a time I am glad I have the trailer. Its a mud room as well. I have no problem backing up. I loose about 1 mpg with the trailer. I guess its like a jail, if you have it you will fill it. I have no problem traveling lite. I go to fla 2 weeks each winter with 1 carryon. Seeking advise from those that have gone before.
14 REPLIES 14

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
It took a while for me to decide about taking the trailer in Alaska. I decided not to take it because I did not plan to stay very long at the same place and the trailer gave me more restriction to go in remote area / off road type driving. So I mounted the Canoe on top of my camper and got all the fishing gear in the basement and each side of the camper, between the camper and truck bed and on top of the camper. Also less thing to worry about tires and bumps.

I like the freedom of a TC without a trailer.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
FreeLanceing wrote:
I like to make my own trail. I have lived alone for better part of 20 years now. I love to travel alone with a good dog or 2. They don't talk back and can read a map as well as any navigator I've been associated with. I have been thinking about the spot or similar unit. I guess I will take my time getting packed if space becomes an issue I will concider dragging the 5x8. I had even concidered the small freezer. I could run it off my honda underway.

LOL - I travel solo with 3 dogs and have for years. Feel the same way. They aren't picky about where or what we eat and where we stop. I've never asked them to read a map, but when I ask which way we should go, they never pick a bad route. Good exploring instincts, I guess. 🙂

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, it ain't but if it were, I'd haul the trailer and whatever toys/gear/stuff you wanted to put in it and, unless there's some real pressing reason, I'd stay in Alaska until mid-September...and again, if it were me, I'd stay until the end of September. The longer stay would provide more "justification" for the trailer, you'd see a bit of fall, you would be there long enough to have the bugs die off, and you would have a less crowded drive South.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am so used to posting in the TC section I should declare, I have a 2500HD ext cab truck with a Lance 815 TC. I plan to drive that to the wedding in Chicago and leave for my Alaska trip from there. I had planned to leave mid June so This sets me back a week or so. I figure I have all of July and 1/2 Aug. In a way I think I miss the big rush going up. I am not into crowds, convoys, caravans, or activity directors. I like to make my own trail. I have lived alone for better part of 20 years now. I love to travel alone with a good dog or 2. They don't talk back and can read a map as well as any navigator I've been associated with. I have been thinking about the spot or similar unit. I guess I will take my time getting packed if space becomes an issue I will concider dragging the 5x8. I had even concidered the small freezer. I could run it off my honda underway.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
For the OP, I say take the trailer. The extra space will be welcoming on such a long trip.

I haul a 6x10 cargo trailer that has been semi-converted inside with a fold up bed, sink, cabinets etc. The great thing about this trailer is that it can be taken off-road where conventional TT's would shake themselves apart. So far, the CT has about 4000 miles on it and will accompany me to Alaska next year on a month long trip then to the Northwest Territories the following year.

On this month long trip last year (when this pic was taken,) I carried a 10 foot solo canoe and mountain bike inside the trailer and it was nice to be able to keep them out of easy view.

Gas mileage varies ( I live in BC Canada where we are surrounded by mountains.) Overall average is 13-14 mpg in the mountains. The lowest recorded was 8.6 mpg coming up Heckman Pass out of Bella Coola BC.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
For those who are SPOT fanatics, I might add that a PLB (personal locator beacon) has better coverage and no subscription required. About $260 on Amazon.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having the same quandary. I have a 6 by 12 cargo trailer converted to an RV with cupboards, bed, etc. It's really nice. Weighs about 1500# loaded. I can haul my little Honda 2000 and all my gear and have a nice warm bed every night, as do my 3 dogs.

But...when I'm in a headwind or going uphill, I can really feel it. It slows me down and really hits the mileage (about 30%) - the rest of the time I don't even know it's there. I'm not so good at backing up, partly because I have an FJ with a short wheelbase.

I drove up to Jasper one year and just slept in my FJ with the dogs. It was uncomfortable, but much easier than pulling a trailer. I could go anywhere I wanted w/o having to even think about it.

So, it's a battle between comfort and simplicity and freedom. I think I'm going to leave the trailer behind and just tent camp. I know there will be times I regret it, but I think in general I'll be happier being able to be more carefree and go where I want. Just my 2 bits' worth.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
resmas wrote:
Taking the trailer means you can put a small CF freezer in it to store all the fish you are going to catch! You can also load it up with cheaper frozen foods at the "big" towns along the road system.

It isn't uncommon to hear generators running at rest areas along the Alaska Highway, to re-chill the freezers on/in the trailers!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
A small cargo trailer is an easy tow. They're popular here with locals because they are so useful and easy to maneuver in tight spots. Our small flat-deck trailer is 8' wide x 12' long (to fit 2 snowmobiles), and is still an easy tow into the backcountry. So you'll fit right in!

With a kayak and dirt bike, you'll have so many recreational opportunities. We've travelled with our kayaks and with the trials motorcycle (yes, trIAls bike), and thoroughly enjoyed the lakes, the fishing, the goat (or stone sheep) trail exploring.

You'll be able to leave the trailer at a campsite if you wish to explore unencumbered. Best of both worlds. And you'll have good lockable storage.

If you'll be on your own in the bush, consider getting a SPOT locator unit in case you have an emergency in the wilderness.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
Taking the trailer means you can put a small CF freezer in it to store all the fish you are going to catch! You can also load it up with cheaper frozen foods at the "big" towns along the road system.

We've taken a freezer with us a bunch of times. It will stay frozen for days if it is full in Alaska temps, and when we get to warmer temps in the lower 48, we plug it in nightly. Never had a problem with anything thawing.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 bits worth...if you are in Chicago on June 27th, you'll get going west/north about July 1st..or after the 4th? And a fairly brisk drive to get to Alaska by mid July if not later. Are you staying till mid-October? If so..take the kitchen sink. But, if you are going to flip right around and head downhill say mid-August? I'd say leave it behind.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years I have talked to several travelers pulling small cargo type trailers, all had positive comments. Easy to leave at your camp site if you want to take a short run somewhere. Sure makes it easy to take and easy access to, camping gear, lawn chairs, etc. and the list goes on and on.

It is really a personal decision for each to make. If I was going in my Jeep, then a trailer would probably go with me. But with my truck camper, at times we tow our Jeep behind, four down, and it turns into a trailer of sorts till we get to Colorado or wherever in the mountain west we are headed for a month or so.

But I have never taken a trailer with me on any of my Alaska trips, just didn't need the extra room. Sometimes I do have to leave some items at home because of a lack of storage space. I am limited to about 6 fishing rods because of space. My wife insists on half the space being hers. LOL For longer stays at one place a trailer would be great. A couple of trips back we were staying at Bear River Campground in Stewart BC and there was a couple there with a truck camper and cargo trailer. They said they did it every summer and stayed a month or more at this same campground. So the generator, the propane grill, folding recliner chairs, screened tent, etc. came along. But since we tend to not stay too long anyone place on our Alaska trips, probably a trailer of the size the OP is talking about, won't get to go with us.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some friends of ours went to Alaska a couple of years ago they had a great time,but it was expensive you could end up paying 6 dollars a gallon for fuel. I see you have a TC to me that is the way to travel. My 2 cents worth.

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
so our going to a wedding or going to Alaska ?
do you sleep in this thing?
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile