cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toronto to Edmonton next week. Best route?

The__Bares_Den
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I need to drive a 27 foot fifth wheel from Toronto to Edmonton next week for the arrival of a new grandchild. Normally in summer we would go across the north of Lake Superior. A fantastic beautiful drive but not one I would relish in winter. We are therefore planning to go into the US at Sarnia then through to Chicago. What is the best route to Edmonton from then on? We also are seeing a lot of toll roads. What is the cost of towing a fifth wheel on those roads? Are we considered a truck and if so what size?
We are new at this so any and all advice is welcome. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Bares Den wrote:
What is the best route to Edmonton from then on?

We also are seeing a lot of toll roads. What is the cost of towing a fifth wheel on those roads?

First off, the route, I-90 west to I-15 north.

Second, toll costs, they will be nothing compared to the fuel savings.

As a rather important aside, the amount of services, facilities, restaurants, fuel stops, etc., etc., along that route FAR exceeds those along the Trans-Canada.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Correction: Just checked and it appears that they've added a new Hwy 3 up the mesa to the airport, so your Billings exit would be the second exit.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
If you're doing Sarnia/Port Huron to Chicago and on then use I 90 to Billings , there are no toll roads. As for snow the 402 just before Sarnia is the first to watch for it. After that it can be found anywhere up to Billings. The best route from Billings is Hwy 3 in Billings not US 87. After taking the first Billings exit at the first light a right then next left at the light that will take you up a short climb to the top of the mesa and the airport...that is Hwy 3...the other side of Great Falls catch I 15.

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Hello I have driven the Thunder bay leg to Edmonton many times.

From Toronto, if you do not want to go through the USA you will have to grab HWY 17 to get around the lake through to thunder bay and onto Winnipeg. This is a single lane road all the way but very scenic for sure! Plan your stops!

From Winnipeg I would take the #1 hwy all the way to Calgary. It is Twinned all the way, easy but boring drive all the way. You can stop at most Walmart's and stay overnight, They are right beside the hwy most times.
Then take the twinned hwy #2 from Calgary to Edmonton.

2cnd option is take #1 from Winnipeg to Regina. Then take #11 north which is twinned to Saskatoon and then #16 which is twinned to Edmonton.

They both take about the same time

I would stay off #16 from Portage to Saskatoon as it is single lane most of the way and rough in spots!

Hop this helps!
Clandeboye , Manitoba

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think north from Port Huron then U.S. 2 would be better and a bit shorter than going through Chicago. As was mentioned the most direct route once past Lake Superior would be north through Pembina then highway 1 and 16. Either way check the weather and road reports constantly and be prepared to wait it out, conditions can and do change rapidly.

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak on the route through the United States but for me (home is Regina, Saskatchewan) I would be taking the Yellow Head (Highway 16) from Portage la Prairie to Edmonton. We have had very little snow (except for the Estevan area) and the weather has been spring like for the past week or so. On Hwy.16 you would miss a lot of the snow in the Saskatchewan south east corner. Hwy.16 is a truck route so you'll be driving with the big boys. Please be very careful of black ice - +6 here yesterday and forecast is for +7 today which means lots of water laying around during the day and then freezing at night. Bring plenty of windshield washer and propane as your furnace will not be able to keep up.
Have a safe trip and keep the shiny side up!