cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling Colorado

gnm
Explorer
Explorer
I am heading south from Wyoming into Colorado, I will be near Rt13 and want to get to Pagosa Springs from there.
I am a flat lander from Florida, so not familiar with the area, can anyone help with a route? We are driving a 40ft RV with a vehicle in tow.
Thanks for any suggestions!
3 REPLIES 3

gnm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great info!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 13 to Rifle at I-70. (Your 40' would easily fit in Rifle Gap State Park - a beauty) West on I-70 to Hwy 50 at Grand Junction through Montrose which becomes 550 to Ridgway. (You would also fit in Ridgeway State Park at the sites along the river - not sure of the loop name) Ridgeway is a good base for touring with your toad to Telluride and Silverton - both awesome!

Then take 62 to 145 down to Cortez and Hwy 160. Mesa Verde Nat'l Park is there along with some other nice Indian ruins. East on 160 to Durango/Pagosa Springs. By that time a long morning soak in the immaculate springs will feel good! There are concrete pools of all different temperatures where you can relax overlooking the folks playing in the river. We recently soaked for two long mornings... Highly recommended.

By the way, Hwy 145 is the best and most gentle route to take to Hwy 160 rather than 550 from Ouray to Silverton to Durango. If you consider Hwy 149 through Lake City to Creede to South Fork you'll have a big hill to climb and descend. Neither 550 nor 149 are good if you're not comfortable with steep grades. Hwy 145 has a grade also but not as steep as the other two and it has much easier curves - not bad at all and it's a gorgeous drive. This is one of our favorite parts of the country. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
go down 13 trough craig and to rifle hit the interstate in rifle and you will be food to go