cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UPDATE Theft insurance info--first hand attn Canadians!

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
This is the email we received from Qualitas insurance after the visit by the adjuster (who was very helpful). But. . . . .

"This is the documents that you need deliver in case of total theft if the vehicle wont found in 15 days.

โ€ข Original title of the vehicle (properly endorsed)
โ€ข Original denounce of ministerio publico (where you acredit be the owner of the vehicle)
โ€ข Original certified copy from ministerio publico
โ€ข Courtesy stolen report by the state highway patrol where de vehicle es register (original)
โ€ข Copy of a recent registration of the vehicle
โ€ข Copy of the temporary permit
โ€ข All the keys of the vehicle
โ€ข Copy of you US insurance

As soon as you have all the documents, you can do the process in any office of qualitaยดs insurance in mexico.

Have a nice day"

I have contacted our local RCMP detachment who thought that the requirement for a report from them was a bit strange! I forwarded a copy of the email to them, we'll see what happens.

Note the requirement for original documents that were in the Jeep, and I have no idea what I can do about an original title! :h
79 REPLIES 79

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Chris: I don't know but I do know that the TIP is linked to your FMM. I think that at one time you were correct but as you know Mexico is probably more advanced than much of N.A. when it comes to computers! But if the insurance company does not pay until you pay the tax it is true Mexican Standoff. Or No tickee no laundry! I really do not think Art is the kind of guy that would scam the government. If it were me that would be the last time I came to Mexico! Mexicowander is following these threads as even he was not aware of a lot of what is happening. If Mexico expects tourists in cars they have to change that rule. It is like kicking a man when he is down!

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:

If you choose to not pay the tax, you forfeit your future rights to Temporarily Import another car and drive it here with foreign plates.
http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11258.html
Moisheh

But doesn't having the vehicle tied to a passport under the passport holder's name leave a loophole open?

Couldn't they come back under the spouse's name or a new passport number?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Daveed(Mexico Wanderer) and I just completed a long telephone conversation on this subject. I have also been in touch with Canadian Rainbird. Here is an eye opener on the insurance topic. If your car is stolen and not recovered the vehicle is deemed by Aduana to be sold!!! You are now responsible for the duties and IVA. According to the following cut and paste that is 40%. Normally the insurance company will not pay for your unit Aduana clears the vehicle.

"What Happens if Your Foreign Plated Car is Stolen? โ€ฆ โ€ฆ. SURPRISE ! @#%&***!!
If your foreign plated car is stolen in Mexico, you owe Aduana a 40% tax (as the Import tax) for not being able to take the car out of Mexico, as you agreed-to when you got your Temporary Import permit. Aduana instituted this fee because past expats would dump their foreign plated cars that they did not want to take back to the border, and then claim that โ€œMy car was stolen.โ€ to get around the Aduana requirements.

If you choose to not pay the tax, you forfeit your future rights to Temporarily Import another car and drive it here with foreign plates.
http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11258.html
"

When it comes to being paid the adjusters in Mexico are no different than NOB. They try to minimize the claim. I was helping an elderly couple as the adjuster did not speak English. The adjuster came to Kino on the bus and asked us for bus fare back to Hermosillo!! At first he looked up the base price for a fancy Van and offered low wholesale. The owner was upset. I somehow managed to get him an almost mid price for a retail high end van. You have to be polite but firm and let the adjuster know that you are not a pushover. They have 30 days from the time you report the loss to pay the claim. Some adjusters will feed you a bunch of BS. Even lies. They are hoping the language barrier will work in their favor. I have also seen where the company had a professional adjuster and settled the claim quickly. They can wire transfer the $$ to your bank. If you leave Mexico before the claim is paid you are supposed to appoint a power of attorney. If you have a toad it must be listed on your MH policy. I don't know what happens if you did not follow that rule.

As for getting a report from your home province that is just a bunch of nonsense. How can the Mounties issue a stolen vehicle report for a vehicle that was stolen in Mexico???. I could see them adding it to their stolen vehicle list and giving Art a copy.I always promote Jim Lewis of Lewis and Lewis as a good broker. He actually helped write part fof the Qualitas policy. I had a problem with a windshield claim and Jim Lewis was a big help. Buying insurance from one of the internet only brokers is a big mistake.

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mexicowanderer: I tried calling you 3 times in the last 2 days. Apparently you are online right now and I just tried. But no answer?????? BTW: That phone # is in Baja. I thought you were in Michoacรกn???

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
TROOPERS!

Did unplugging the fridge letting it sit for a couple of days, not work?

Nope.

Today I'm going to turn it back, jumper the thermistor, see if the fans start and depending on that, stuff a 12" 120 VAC fan in the convenient hole in the side of the rig where the vent covers used to be.

Also, realised a few days ago that it won't run on AC no ac code. I'll pull the control board cover and look for the fuse.

PS, sent you a PM and an e-mail

Further comments re the fridge, I'll post on that thread. If I can find it! :h

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
TROOPERS!

Did unplugging the fridge letting it sit for a couple of days, not work?

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all concerned;

I will keep a time line; it has now been almost a week. As major hurdles are cleared or noticeable progress made I'll post them here.

I have at least now received the file number for my report to the Ministerio Publico.

I already received by e-mail from our Incurance Broker in Canada a copy of our Jeep registration. Hope that will be enough.

DW tells me that she has filed away at home the original sales agreement from the dealer. I'm not going to bring that up with Qualitas unless they become obstinate without it. It would mean giving our house sitter access to all our documents and personal papers.

The RCMP at home have said that the most they can do in put the Jeep in the National (Canadian) Data Base for stolen vehicles. We'll wait the fifteen days that Qualitas requires before they start the settlement process for a stolen and unrecovered vehicle.

I have just spoken with the Qualias adjuster: I can bring in what I have AFTER THE 15 DAYS have elapsed. Then we take it from there.

I'll report back on any breaking news.

Meanwhile, between that, Spanish Classes and homework (several hours a day) I'll see what I can do with our fridge! Then maybe the step.

At least we got the rig washed.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The regimen dealing with this is complicated as can be. If C.R. could keep sort of a diary and post it, I for one would greatly appreciate it. To the point of copying it and storing it on disc.

darbone85737
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends who had such trouble with a claim in Mexico purchased their insurance from Lewis & Lewis. They're only the brokers. It's the insurance company that writes the policy that is most important. That's why I'm interested in seeing the result of this claim with Qualitas

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Based on advice from multiple sources we never have originals in our car. We have a fireproof lockbox in the motorhome - hidden but in easy reach if a quick getaway is necessary. We also have easy to get copies of all motorhome documents we can provide while keeping the originals hidden in the lockbox. All our originals and legal documents and anything of value is in that box along with copies of things like all credit cards etc. I do not know if carrying only copies is the best advice but we have been doing it for years with no problem. We do use the originals as well as multiple copies when we do our border crossing ceremonies.

We buy our Mexico insurance based on what they claim they will do for us if we have any problem in Mexico. We get the ones that say they have an 800 number we can call to get in touch with a local attorney who will take care of any and all legal matters for us should we ever need them. We have never had to use them so do not know how well they really do. We use Lewis & Lewis because many long time Mexico travelers have claimed they are the best. We have no idea from any personal experience if any of these promises have been kept.

In the car we only the "valet" key which does not have the special stuff the other keys have - whatever that may be. The "valet" key turns in the ignition and can be used to start the car. I am not sure if this can be copied or if the need for "all the vehicle keys" would include the "valet" key - but maybe a copy of the "valet" key could be the one in the car and the only ones the thieves get so you would still have all the original keys.

This is all hindsight I know but maybe others can plan for these things happening by using some of the above. When we get back to the states I am going to see if we can get a "valet" key copied.

I am sure there are other tips other forum members might come up with.

darbone85737
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully this thread will stay on point. As a yearly visitor to Mexico I'm interested in how the insurance company deals with a claim like this. We always buy insurance online prior to travel. Buying is one thing but the more important issue is how the companies handle claims. Friends who had a claim last year had nothing but trouble and wound up having their return delayed for months while they dealt with truck repair

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Tequila: You sure are inconsistent. I see you all over the internet and on your own forum telling people that Mexico is as safe or safer than Canada. That is probably true. But now you are advising not having a nice vehicle as a toad and stating it should be a beater. Is your truck a beater? Do you suggest that people in Canada also have beaters? If Mexico is safer than Canada then for sure we should protect ourselves from bad guys in Canada. It's one thing to not display Bling but not having a new toad is going too far. If you are safe that precaution should not be required.

Moisheh

I have never stated it is safe in Mexico. It is also not safe in Canada or the US. If you want to be safe, stay home. Come to think of it that is not safe either.

The only difference in Mexico is that dealing in a foreign language and with the police is more hassle.

As far as being robbed, anything new & shiney is more of a target than anything old. Mexico, Canada or the US. That is just a fact.

BTW Vancouver has the second highest rate of car theft in north America

And to keep things in perspective: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Suspect+charged+after+violent+carjacking+rampage+across+three+Metro+...

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila: You sure are inconsistent. I see you all over the internet and on your own forum telling people that Mexico is as safe or safer than Canada. That is probably true. But now you are advising not having a nice vehicle as a toad and stating it should be a beater. Is your truck a beater? Do you suggest that people in Canada also have beaters? If Mexico is safer than Canada then for sure we should protect ourselves from bad guys in Canada. It's one thing to not display Bling but not having a new toad is going too far. If you are safe that precaution should not be required.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Contact your SURPLUS LINE BROKER. They are paid to iron out wrinkles and establish communications with the Mexican Underwriter.

This is precisely WHY deciding whom your surplus line broker is, makes all the difference in the world. If you run into a "Inferior Service" snag with your surplus line broker, please report whom that service is (USA or Canada).

slowlyiturn
Explorer
Explorer
From my experience I found that they didn't want the title of the vehicle that I showed crossing the border and registered with. What they wanted was the bill of sale for the vehicle. I had mine at home in the filing cabinet. I had a certified copy made then forwarded it to Mexico. Of course its a bit different as my vehicle was recovered and I was dealing with the gov't not the insurance comp.
2 retired canadians