cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UPDATE Theft insurance info--first hand attn Canadians!

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
This is the email we received from Qualitas insurance after the visit by the adjuster (who was very helpful). But. . . . .

"This is the documents that you need deliver in case of total theft if the vehicle wont found in 15 days.

โ€ข Original title of the vehicle (properly endorsed)
โ€ข Original denounce of ministerio publico (where you acredit be the owner of the vehicle)
โ€ข Original certified copy from ministerio publico
โ€ข Courtesy stolen report by the state highway patrol where de vehicle es register (original)
โ€ข Copy of a recent registration of the vehicle
โ€ข Copy of the temporary permit
โ€ข All the keys of the vehicle
โ€ข Copy of you US insurance

As soon as you have all the documents, you can do the process in any office of qualitaยดs insurance in mexico.

Have a nice day"

I have contacted our local RCMP detachment who thought that the requirement for a report from them was a bit strange! I forwarded a copy of the email to them, we'll see what happens.

Note the requirement for original documents that were in the Jeep, and I have no idea what I can do about an original title! :h
79 REPLIES 79

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
There are so few incidents involving RV's and RV'rs that I can almost remember all of them. RV'rs having their vehicles stolen is not normal. But I use common sense. I do not park on supermarket lots away from the buildings. I also tip the attendant and first ask him to watch the vehicle. I do not leave our MH on a Pemex lot and go touring. There is nothing safer than a CG. I follow those same precautions in Tucson where your vehicle could easily be stolen.

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
And I am serious about the polling software. We really need some type of remedy for this. The problem is, it can't be used against the site owners. That's why we don't have it. Imagine if we did, we could actually cull some interesting date about Mexico rving. You're right on with asking the polling question, getting the anwers is the tough part here.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Chris: I agree with you 110%. There have been more bicycles or lawn chairs stolen than autos or RV's. I made light of this because this idea of not taking your new car to Mexico will do more to kill RV tourism than Chapo!

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I think it's silly. Maybe we should ask how many rvers have come to Mexico with any combination of toad, tow vehicle, motorhome, etc. and have experienced a vehicle theft? That makes more sense. The answer is that very very few Mexico rvers experience a vehicle theft. Then, we should peruse the Rv.Net forum to see how many rvs, toads, tow vehicles have been stolen in other countries on this website. Would that be safe to say?

One of the main issues of this forum is that we don't have any type of polling software. When an advertiser provides a free forum, it is not in their best interest to do so.

Now, should someone other than myself have a blog or webpage with said software, that might be a good idea. (I say not myself or my blog for fear of someone saying I am promoting my blog). By doing this, you can have many possible answers, true polling numbers, and results and they all remain anonymous.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some excellent toads for Mexico

This classic house trailer is sitting at the edge of Kino. Owner claims it is in good shape but the fridge needs some work. It is a Norcold!

This collector truck is a 62 Dodge. Owner says it needs a little cleaning but is in good shape. Ideal to hold that 12 foot Lance camper. It is located in the quaint village of Miguel Aleman ( Calle Doce), Sonora. Owner will build a new deck from old pallets.

This gorgeous Chev would be ideal for towing the old trailer! Owner says that with a little RedMax Pro or polyglow the paint will look like new. Potential Mexico travelers should act quickly. With the recent news that shiny vehicles are being stolen these won't last long

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Let's do a survey: How many here are thinking of bringing an old toad next year? Being as a 5th wheel is the most common form of RV used in Mexico how many plan on bringing an old 3/4 ton next year? When newbies ask about going to Mexico we all have a similar chant: don't drive at night. Toll roads may be better, make sure your vehicle is in good shape and more. Should we add: Mexico is as safe as the USA but it is not a good idea to have a newer vehicle. Use a 2003 Honda not a 2013 Jeep. If you were the newby how would you interpret that warning? I would say that is admitting Mexico is not all that safe. We don't switch toads when going LA, New York, Detroit or any other US city. What would a potential Mexico traveler who normally goes to Yuma think of that advice?

darbone85737
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
silversand: I answered your post but it went to cyberspace. Auto insurance from your home country is not valid in Mexico. There are 2 USA companies that will extend some coverages to MH's but nothing for autos. If you want to know why just look at this incident. Insurance companies do not want to deal with all the bureaucracies. As for bringing an old beater: Not as easy as it sounds. You must find a vehicle in decent condition. You have to insure it at home. When not towing you need a storage space. One more mechanized item to maintain. I can understand not flaunting your wealth but if you have to resort to driving a Charanaga then it is time to look for somewhere else to visit. What about those with 5th wheels? Should they not bring their shiney duallies? Some people either cannot afford another vehicle or they have better places for those $$.Moisheh

The issue was a stolen towed vehicle. Pretty easy to find an older vehicle that can be towed without the need for storage. We tow a 12 year old Honda with 180,000 miles that's reliable and still serves as transportation NOB. No problem giving it up to avoid a violent confrontation. I wouldn't subject a new vehicle to the Mexican roads anyway. There are some people who own 2 motor homes with one specifically intended for Mexico, right ?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new zippee wahoo ultra 64 valve car. Won't start. Dirty gas. Mechanic tackles the job. Stick a comma in the non warranty straightening out what the mechanic did wrong when you get home. Did this with a brand new Audi yesterday. Less than 3,000 miles. But it isn't a toad. Tow bill to border three thousand dollars. New Nissan Maxima a few months ago = a tire blew on a passing semi and took out the windshield. Mexican Nissans are different. Back they went, their vacation destroyed.

There just ISN'T the IDEAL answer just waiting to be shout down all pretenders Moishe. Drag a shiny new lure through a school of barracuda and not expect a "hookup"?

A PLAIN car or pickup is fine. A 1947 Dodge Power Wagon with candy tangerine paint, chrome wheels, and winch is a bullseye for ratones.

If a person ABSOLUTELY HAS TO drive their brand new sonic hyperjointed big game lure down here they are disconnected from reality. Best to go to Yellowstone. Same for wearing a diamond studded platinum Rolex Oyster watch in public.

These cautions are as old as the hills. Serve Prime Rib in India, ya gonna get action.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
But he has a valid point Moisheh; Beginning to wish we hadn't sold our 2001 Chevy Tracker soft top!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
silversand: I answered your post but it went to cyberspace. Auto insurance from your home country is not valid in Mexico. There are 2 USA companies that will extend some coverages to MH's but nothing for autos. If you want to know why just look at this incident. Insurance companies do not want to deal with all the bureaucracies. As for bringing an old beater: Not as easy as it sounds. You must find a vehicle in decent condition. You have to insure it at home. When not towing you need a storage space. One more mechanized item to maintain. I can understand not flaunting your wealth but if you have to resort to driving a Charanaga then it is time to look for somewhere else to visit. What about those with 5th wheels? Should they not bring their shiney duallies? Some people either cannot afford another vehicle or they have better places for those $$.

Moisheh

darbone85737
Explorer
Explorer
so maybe the idea of an older, less valuable car in Mexico is not such a bad idea.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
The owner was upset. I somehow managed to get him an almost mid price for a retail high end van. You have to be polite but firm and let the adjuster know that you are not a pushover.

...what happens if the extranjero's vehicle has new car replacement insurance or gap insurance at home !? I hope visitors bringing their nearly-new vehicles to Mexico carefully research this with their Mexico coverage policy broker !

S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is the TIP FMM linkage....

Your TIP is only as good as long as your FMM is valid. You can show up at Aduana at the frontier and have a car permit with say 122 days remaining on it and an FMM that had expired a month earlier. The TIP AUTOMATICALLY has expired for a month. This was a huge issue in Chiapas a few years ago when INM FORCED extraneous to surrender their FMT when returning to Mexico from Guatemala and then issued the traveler a TRANSMIGRANTE 30-day permit. I went on some wild rides to INM with folks who did not believe the above. All I believe were very angry but they beat the deadline. One "caver" had to change off with his wife driving day and night.

The TIP is linked to your home country passport number and in no other way.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Another suggestion to add to "cooler's" above. When we went to Mexico I was concerned about the loss of documentation because of a theft/robbery, especially after some Canadians had their RV stolen a few years ago and they had a lot of trouble resurrecting docs. I bought a couple of SD cards and scanned (and password protected) all our important travel docs (and others) onto them, I hid one in the RV and one in the tow vehicle. There are lots of hiding spots, just remember where you hid them! As I recall, one of the Canadians problem was being able to prove to the Mexican authorities that the recovered RV was actually theirs, letting them know where the SD card was and having them read it would prove ownership.

With the new micro SD cards these days, hiding would be even easier

Thetravelingcoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again to all you fine folks.

First, to Rainbirds, since your other thread was shut down..Sorry to hear about your jeep. Glad you an missus are ok though. Like others said, you can replace the jeep.

Anyhoo, on to the second thing. I see you all discussing important paper work an such, and the best way to keep it safe. Since you folks are, obviously online have any of you thought to use cloud storage for your important stuff that you may need? It's really cheap if not free from a lot of places, like Amazon, Google, and other big names. And unless your storing over 5gb it's usually free.

If I understand things, one of the issues down there when something like this happens, is you need the original title/bill of sale, or a certified copy. Not sure if this would work but with the cloud storage, all you would need to do is print out what you need and then have it certified/notorized(Are these the same terms in Mexico? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm trying to learn about the fine country. ๐Ÿ™‚ ) and no need to worry over where you placed them, letting house sitters have access to your personal files ๐Ÿ˜‰ etc. Silly idea I'm sure, but figured I'd toss it out there.

For those that don't know, Cloud storage is the ability to store your documents, media, etc online to access from anywhere you happen to be.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me post in your playground again. An if this is a silly idea, just toss it away an pretend I never posted. I won't take it personal. Ha ha!

Now to go find, or start a thread if I fail at finding one, on good tequila an some recipes. Anyone got a blog dedicated to both or one? Haha!

Stay on the sunny side my Mexico wandering friends, an be safe.

Thetravelingcooler - I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams