cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE Theft insurance info--first hand attn Canadians!

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
This is the email we received from Qualitas insurance after the visit by the adjuster (who was very helpful). But. . . . .

"This is the documents that you need deliver in case of total theft if the vehicle wont found in 15 days.

• Original title of the vehicle (properly endorsed)
• Original denounce of ministerio publico (where you acredit be the owner of the vehicle)
• Original certified copy from ministerio publico
• Courtesy stolen report by the state highway patrol where de vehicle es register (original)
• Copy of a recent registration of the vehicle
• Copy of the temporary permit
• All the keys of the vehicle
• Copy of you US insurance

As soon as you have all the documents, you can do the process in any office of qualita´s insurance in mexico.

Have a nice day"

I have contacted our local RCMP detachment who thought that the requirement for a report from them was a bit strange! I forwarded a copy of the email to them, we'll see what happens.

Note the requirement for original documents that were in the Jeep, and I have no idea what I can do about an original title! :h
79 REPLIES 79

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
mm: Let's not get this thread closed. Just read and say nothing unless you can actually add to the topic

The problem with what is happening in Michoacán is that when these defense groups have rallies it can get ugly very quickly. The last thing you want is to be in area where there is political strife. The Army already shot a bunch of one of the defense groups. Until lately most of this was not happening where RV'rs travel. But Patzcuaro? I understand the defense group has decided not go into Morelia. Good idea! Back in the 80's we were in Juarez. At that time it was a great place to visit. We had walked across from El Paso and it was Sunday. Right by the bridge there was a huge crowd and lots of speakers with megaphones. Like fools we stopped to see what it was about. I spoke almost no Spanish at this time but my wife understood. She told me to get us to the bridge right away. They started to burn effigies of Ronald Regan.We ran to the bridge!

Moisheh

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
mike mike four niner:

...you're an optimist.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
The story with pictures was in Friday's paper complete with pictures of piles of tires. This was NOT about cartels or any drug war. I just thought it might create traffic jams and maybe escalate to something more serious.
http://www.thenews.com.mx/index.php/nation-articulos/19344-vigilante-groups-take-patzcuaro

http://mexicovoices.blogspot.mx/2014/02/mexico-drug-war-michoacan-self-defense_27.html
How dare they write a story about crime in Mexico without mentioning Detroit or Chicago? They must not sign up to the prescribed group think on this thread.
MM49

Talleyho69
Deleted to help keep on topic.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....hmmm. Interesting. Lets see how this unfolds (civilian defense).
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The story with pictures was in Friday's paper complete with pictures of piles of tires. This was NOT about cartels or any drug war. I just thought it might create traffic jams and maybe escalate to something more serious.
http://www.thenews.com.mx/index.php/nation-articulos/19344-vigilante-groups-take-patzcuaro

http://mexicovoices.blogspot.mx/2014/02/mexico-drug-war-michoacan-self-defense_27.html

Talleyho69
Deleted to help keep on topic.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
As a side note the Defense Groups are on the move. The Feds have a new road block @ km 17 between Patzcuaro and Morelia. They are using a huge pile of old tires. That in itself means very little to an RV traveler. BUT the Feds will not allow those groupsto take over Morelia. Who knows how this will transpire? Just something to keep in mind if you are in that area.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Dang, sargento! Look at this bonita double-traccion! Much cromio, esterio, lampras, Ijole! Gigante Llantas!. What did you tell the gringos?"

"We looked hard but could not find su camioneta"

Involving a theft, deal only with the SSP or PFP. In a city, jurisdiction rules.

The BEST and I mean BY FAR safest theft system is one that allows the car to start and run normally for a minute or two then shuts down. Hidden switch. Leave a note on the car DESCOMPUESTO o ROTO. Idiots have not caught on to this yet. But if they use a GRUA (tow truck) you are pretty much screwed.

Abbott and Costello who robbed the Jeep would have gotten a mile down the road then the car would quit. No, the driver would not have followed it over a cliff. Nor would they stick with the car. Are you kidding me? Proceed on your way a quarter mile. Wave down the first oncoming motor vehicle and have them follow you back to the stalled vehicle. Think the bad guys are going to stick around? You do not know Mexico. They are going to be rounding curves on two wheels escaping with curses filling the air. "Too many episodes of "We don't need no steenking badges" for those that think otherwise. Snag the car (by then there will be several more cars and trucks that have arrived on the scene) turn around and proceed opposite the direction the terrified ladrones hauled you-you-what.

Los Caballeros Templarios. Gimme a freakin' break! Those jerks earn more in 10 seconds than the purchase price of that Jeep. They ARE NOT GOING TO BRING THE FEDS DOWN ON THEIR HEADS over a Jeep that you cannot get parts for in Mexico. A vehicle that would be SEIZED the first time a PFP or SSP laid eyes on it. "Where are your documentos?" Here bub, slip into these here handcuffs".

The perps did this because they were STUPID. They way to get around STUPID is to be smarter than the problem.

And yes, delayed cutoff theft protectors are very common. By the time the vehicle stalls you will be down they road and if you think they are going to turn around and chase you, you'd better steer clear of Mexico.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
All the more reason for something like the spot trace. I have figured there is plenty of space for one in the plastic housing of my side mirrors, behind the motor. There is also 12 volts in there that is on all the time. I doubt anyone would think to look back there. For $99 and $99 a year, i figure it is money well spent. Let them have it then head for the closest police with a net connection to see where they took it.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
No rider that I know of. Supposedly it costs 40% of the value. 16 % is the IVA and I guess the rest is fees and duty.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Here is the link

http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/pdfs/auto/Mexican-Auto-Insurance-Temporary-Importation-Permit-Ca...

Moisheh

I am guessing your insurance will not cover you for that portion? I wonder if you can pay for a rider on it that will? How much is that duty usually?

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
This why when i bought at ATV I chose dull green not the bright blue or red that were the other 2 options. I also do not wash my truck while down here. It makes sense not to make things overly attractive looking. When i saw that stolen pickup, its color was the first thing i noticed.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ford Pickup Trucks. Guess; top, or bottom, which one is most likely to "get noticed" more by the ethically disabled...

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
J& A: If you park that car @ a Soriana 2 guys could just pick it up and take it away! Art: I always say that bad luck comes in 3,s. You had the No cold, stolen jeep and now a bad printer. Should be OK for awhile! I admire your attitude. I would have lost my cool!

Moisheh