cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE Theft insurance info--first hand attn Canadians!

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
This is the email we received from Qualitas insurance after the visit by the adjuster (who was very helpful). But. . . . .

"This is the documents that you need deliver in case of total theft if the vehicle wont found in 15 days.

• Original title of the vehicle (properly endorsed)
• Original denounce of ministerio publico (where you acredit be the owner of the vehicle)
• Original certified copy from ministerio publico
• Courtesy stolen report by the state highway patrol where de vehicle es register (original)
• Copy of a recent registration of the vehicle
• Copy of the temporary permit
• All the keys of the vehicle
• Copy of you US insurance

As soon as you have all the documents, you can do the process in any office of qualita´s insurance in mexico.

Have a nice day"

I have contacted our local RCMP detachment who thought that the requirement for a report from them was a bit strange! I forwarded a copy of the email to them, we'll see what happens.

Note the requirement for original documents that were in the Jeep, and I have no idea what I can do about an original title! :h
79 REPLIES 79

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This vehicle is UGLY. Wanna guess how many yards it would travel into Mexico before you got an offer you could not resist?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Good Lord Almighty! That Jeep is muy Macho. Now pink....well maybe not. White, black, orange, that Jeep just screams ¡TESTOSTERONE!

Sin duda yo no era
el tipo de tus sueos,
yo no era nada en tu vida
ni en tus pensamientos.
cuando yo iba tu venas
hay que ver donde me meto,
si te miraba me pillabas
me dejabas deshecho.

Pero un da todo cambi
te bes sin ms y ahora soy el rey.

De tu boca, de tus ojos,
de tus manos ahora soy el rey,
De tus lagrimas y risas
no lo dudes ahora soy el rey
De las decisiones
de tu corazn ahora soy el rey.

De da, de noche
en tu casa o en mi coche
yo ahora soy el rey.

Sin duda yo no caba en tus ideas,
tan slo era el intruso
de tu piel morena.

si tu bailabas yo bailaba
aunque poco me quisieras,
no me renda y te segua
all donde tu fueras.

Pero un da todo cambi
te bes sin ms y ahora soy el rey.

De tu boca, de tus ojos,
de tus manos ahora soy el rey,
De tus lagrimas y risas
no lo dudes ahora soy el rey
De las decisiones
de tu corazn ahora soy el rey.

De da, de noche
en tu casa o en mi coche
yo ahora soy el rey.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. Macho hey. I'm thinking my black smart car tent trailer combo would have a short street life then. :). Doesn't get more macho than this. Or at least that's what Angela says. Just sayin. :).

Sorry guys. A little levity to help with a tough situation. Were gunin for ya Arrt. :).
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....hey Moisheh, I like old "vintage"; vintage is "in" :B

Beginning to wish we hadn't sold our 2001 Chevy Tracker soft top!

...we, too. Ours was the 4-door, with ~340,000 kilometers...but we could only bring it so far (It went all the way to southern New Mexico 3 times from the Northeast! unfortunately, the body and floor fell apart, but the mechanics were still fairly good). That Tracker (those Trackers) would be perfect to "toad" to Mexico!

*note to Mod/Admin: please make Moisheh's document link a "sticky"
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the Serious Stuff:

We should have contacted the Canadian Consulate here in Puerto Vallarta at the first opportunity. She was big help on the phone, we will go into to see her tomorrow.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
David: Add color black to the list of desired vehicles. Black PU's are considered macho!

Moisheh

If they want Macho, why did they take our baby-blue one! :h

Yeah, I know, paint is cheap.

Maybe next time we'll get pink with a big yellow daisy on each door.:B

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Moisheh. I saved that in my document files on the laptop. I think I'll print a copy too.

Of course the printer we had with us packed up! :S Just bought another one this morning.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
IMO Excellent research Moisheh.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Slightly so, but I don't think it's a biggee. A black pickup in Mexico? Like a state highway snow plow painted safety white?

Look, if you have a car or pickup that a US or Canadian teenager would live on the floor out of embarrassment (to be seen in) it is perfect for Mexico. Brand new is an enticement. But a newer tow vehicle without all the eye-candy accessories is pretty darned safe. I would not leave such a vehicle parked on a city street for a long period of time. Your supermarket parking tip IMO is excellent BTW.

The problem arises when an individual chooses to own a showpiece tow vehicle or toad and wishes to travel down here. You can't have it both ways. Sorry. It's a simple matter of Is's and Ought-To-Be's. The latter never have fared very well down here.

A tiny minority of younger people here sometimes get a stereotype stuck in their head "If they can afford one, surely they can afford another". They are thieves, but they come up with the damnedest rationale. American, Mexican, Zulu, it doesn't matter the nationality of the mark.

In 1976 just outside of Tepanatepec, Chis, I was stopped by a group of people in the road. Men and women. They told me a bus had been hijacked and they were advising people not to go up the grade. That was 38-years ago Moishe.

IMO the safety issue here is a universe apart of what it used to be. Out of the THOUSANDS of RV'ers who came last year, one had a bad juju experience. Traumatic. Now it's turned into (on this forum) a national crisis, unprecedented, much worse than the RV traffic deaths in the USA with total destruction of rigs, million dollar lawsuits, etc.

What would have been better? A sideswipe by a big rig? One that left the car unable to be towed and the motorhome blessed by an new abundance of fresh air ventilation?

Cars, highways, crossing the street are all risky. "Oh hell, at least he did not die at gunpoint" is small consolation to a victim of an accident.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a document explaining hot to jump through some of the hoops. I had it in my files but do not remember where it came from. Maybe Lewis and Lewis. I know how to post a picture but how do I get a PDF into a post? I tried tinypics but it does not work with PDF's.

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
David: Add color black to the list of desired vehicles. Black PU's are considered macho!

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is getting silly IMHO

You don't need to bring a clunker. Hyperbole is when an participant in a discussion uses an extreme extrapolation as an example of getting their own point across.

An ORDINARY vehicle is not coveted. That stolen Jeep is eye-candy. Ya wanna know something? If it was painted PINK it would not have been touched. Ratones hyperventilate over MACHO. A 1947 Dodge Power wagon with candy apple paint, chrome and a winch would cause a ladrone's knees to wobble.

Living purely and totally amongst Mexicanos I have learned a lot. I keep my ears and eyes open. MACHO looking rigs are risky. So are sports cars especially if they are newer models. A standard pickup towing a 5th wheel is not a risk. But dually pickups are one step higher on the risk ladder. But not when they are towing a 5th wheel. I wrote standard. No chrome roll bars, 10 lights festooning it. No big fancy MACHO tires and aftermarket spoke wheels.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
J&A: I would think that if there are no TIP's involved then Aduana has nothing to do with any claims.

Moisheh

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
So thinking outside the box a bit. How about the baha. No vehicle permits there as far as I know. (trying to remember how it went the winter we spent on the Baha). So would this same situation have happened if Arts Jeep was stolen in the Baha? Enquiring minds want to know.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.