cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vancouver BC to Amarillo Tx.

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Amarillo in October and would like to angle down through the States. Thinking of going to Yellowstone and then south from there. We are in no hurry and don't drive far in one day. Any suggestions will be appreciated...:h

Weather? :@
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
2 REPLIES 2

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone is worth a visit for sure as for weather, Yellowstone roads through the park should still be open. Mammoth Campground will be open for sure. An older post on Yellowstone which has info on Tetons & other sites in WY.

Lots of Sites & Sights in the Colorado Springs Area. Normally, we have stayed in the Woodland Park Area to see CO Springs Area.

You might like to detour off I-25 at Walsenburg (US 160) to Alamosa. Then drop south on US 285 S to the Antonito, CO/Chama, NM Area on CO/NM route 17. Then make your way to the Santa Fe Area.

Or skip Chama, stay on US 285 S to Santa Fe. Or get off US 160 at CO 159 before Alamosa which becomes NM 522 to Taos, NM. Then down to Santa Fe (NM 68 to US 285 S).
Taos :::::::: NM ByWays

If no to detour off I-25, after entering New Mexico, just off I-25, Sugarite Canyon State Park by Raton is a neat area. And a short drive from Raton is the Capulin Volcano Nat'l Mon't.
A Neat Place. ------ But no Camping

Between Raton & Las Vegas, Not far S of Springer, just off I-25 is Fort Union Nat'l Mon't.

At Las Vegas (older place than the one in NV) Storrie Lake State Park, but we have used the Walmart there to do a few overnights.

Off I-25 between Santa Fe & Las Vegas, Villanueva State Park. It is off the 25 a bit. Somewhat off the beaten path. However, one can use NM 3 to cut down to the I-40 from Villanueva. We did that one visit.

There is much to see & do in the Santa Fe & Bandelier Nat'l Mon't area of New Mexico -A Trip Report last summer.

Bandelier Nat'l Mon't is off US 285. We were there in August last year. Not too hot at all. Cools off quickly after sundown each evening. I believe we were there years ago in July. Warmer during the day, but cool nights.

Los Alamos is a very neat small city in itself. Free bus system with very neat buses. Very pretty setting up in the high country. Somewhat of a gated community as well. We only drove through & stopped at a SuperMarket. A nice town. http://www.visit.losalamos.com/
http://www.losalamosnm.us/transit/Pages/default.aspx

More on the Santa Fe Area Expanded & ABQ.

More on the Sante Fe Area Plus. And Campgrounds in Santa Fe.

From Santa Fe head east (Northbound on I-25) to take US 285 S to I-40. I-40 E toward Amarillo. Near Santa Rosa on this route just Off I-40, Santa Rosa Lake State Park would be another nice place to overnight. Never been there myself.

There is Conchas Lake State Park NorthEast of Tucumcari as well. Somewhat of a detour to get to it.

Near Amarillo: Never been to the state park either, but have read about it & would like to make it over there someday. Palo Duro Canyon State Park as well as Caprock Canyons State Park, from what I have read, seem like very neat areas to see.

Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway would make a neat place to check out. One I would like to see. For perhaps a neat experience, Copper Breaks State Park near Quanah sounds pretty cool.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss the Grand Tetons, Cody Wyoming and Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs. Are you looking for routes, things to see or places to stay or all 3? What type of campgrounds do you like?
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi