cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, that wasn't very pleasant.

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed into Canada on Sunday. We were at the International Peace Garden crossing. After pulling up to the booth and showing our passports we answered a few questions about the amount of booze we had, if we had any fire arms with us (no) we were told to pull forward and stop. An agent entered the motor home and quizzed us about fire arms mainly. How many we usually traveled with, where we carried them, what caliber were they. Then he and another agent searched inside and outside the motorhome and towed vehicle for around an hour while we were told to wait outside. When they were finished (found nothing) the one agent thanked us for cooperating and we were on our way. I don't think we brought this on ourselves. I believe we were chosen at random. FYI.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan
35 REPLIES 35

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Re. `border crossing is terrible types`, another really significant thing.

After Sept 11, air crashes into World Trade Center et al, for years, yes years*, more than one USA source `claimed` that the pilots for those planes got into The States through Canada. They did so even after the facts were proven to be otherwise. In effect they were claiming those border crossings are not secure enough.

* I heard a tv `news` report claiming this in 2004, 3 years after those attacks, when I was down there.

:R
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Whenever I get the urge to travel in Canada, I suppress it by reminding myself of the border hassles others have experienced. I am a CCW permit holder, so I would probably be flagged. Although I would never intentionally try to enter Canada with a non-permitted firearm (permits are obtainable for long guns), what if I accidentally had one stray bullet lost in the bottom of a bag or in a deep recess of the camper? Once found, I would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. No way do I want to take the chance, when an honest mistake can cost thousands of dollars plus maybe time behind bars.

No tourist dollars for Canada from this traveler. It just seems too risky to me. Plenty to see and do in the USA anyway.

Actually you can bring up to 5000 rounds of small arms ammunition in to Canada with out a permit or declaring it.
I used to bring thousands of 22 longs into Canada for years from Spokane when my daughters were in biathlon.
So finding one bullet won't get any charges laid against you it may cause a more through inspection.
It's just like when you go through the security inspections at the airports. In the airports they are looking out for everyone's safety, well so are the boarder guards.
Each country has its own laws that everyone must abide by when a guest or resident.
Canada dosent allow hand guns, and the USA doesn't allow Kinder Surprise Candy.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had no hassle going either into Canada or back into the U.S. a couple summers ago. We were visiting Glacier NP and took a day trip (in the truck only - left the camper in the campground in MT) to Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta. Had to show passports returning to the U.S., of course, and answered a few questions, but no hassle, no inspection. Guess we were lucky that day.

So- when asked if you have firearms, do those of you who left them at home still say yes?
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Community Alumni
Not applicable
That's simply the way it is!

My wife and I cross weekly, we use Nexus passes and have done so for many years. We still get 'singled out' on occasion and are hit with a barrage of questions while the border agents search our vehicles for weapons and all kinds of things. This happens on both sides of the border.

It is the price we must pay to ensure our safety & freedoms.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the folks that say..nope, not going to cross no stinkin border into Canada...don't want no grief. I am just asking tho, if you have the same views for folks that have to do the border thing to go to the US as travelers? That people should just be saying, no way...not havin no border hassles to go to the US. And bearing in mind, that as many folks have border issues going home into the US.

And it can be a hassle..no doubt. A stray shell isn't the problem, it's the belief that where there is a shell, there's a weapon. And sadly enough, that has proven to be the case.

Now...as to not coming to Canada. That is your loss. Lots to see and do. But nothing you don't have right at home..just more of it and fewer people. However, we do have different laws and if that's the reason you don''t want to come? Fine with us.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
rexlion wrote:
Whenever I get the urge to travel in Canada, I suppress it by reminding myself of the border hassles others have experienced. I am a CCW permit holder, so I would probably be flagged. Although I would never intentionally try to enter Canada with a non-permitted firearm (permits are obtainable for long guns), what if I accidentally had one stray bullet lost in the bottom of a bag or in a deep recess of the camper? Once found, I would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. No way do I want to take the chance, when an honest mistake can cost thousands of dollars plus maybe time behind bars.

No tourist dollars for Canada from this traveler. It just seems too risky to me. Plenty to see and do in the USA anyway.

I agree completely! We are going to drive to Alaska but when I started seeing some of the border crossing horror stories I decided to take the ferry instead of the drive through Canada. None of my money going there either.

And how many countries are there in this world?????? To say, you think only your country has anything to see is being a very pathetic something.

& are your ancestors from this continent? Or? & do you take pride in your ancestry. Go visit whatever that is!!!!

:R
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
And the issue is :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:

I agree completely! We are going to drive to Alaska but when I started seeing some of the border crossing horror stories I decided to take the ferry instead of the drive through Canada. None of my money going there either.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Don't take it personal that they did a search. They have done that to us both going to the US and coming back home on the Canadian side many times.

They have a requirement to search vehicles at random. They are just doing their job.

One of the inconveniences of crossing international borders.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I crossed into BC 3 times last year (twice on my motorcycle, and once in my truck not towing). Basic questions (where am I going and for how long). I had a work visa, and was never questioned about firearms and was never searched, and do have a CWP.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a concealed carry from any State it will come up on a DL or registration check. If you enter Canada they will more than likely try to find the gun you are hiding (their attitude.) Be careful in MD also, they will have license plate readers check and chase you down to get your gun and you. It has happened.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
While entering Canada, we are always asked about firearms. Perhaps that is because we travel with golden retrievers, "Nice hunting dogs you got there." We've been searched a number of times.

Once, I asked what triggered the search. The response was, "The inspector over there just came off of break and needs something to do."

The agents have always been polite, although sometimes insistent about telling them where our firearms are kept.

The funniest one was the first time we crossed into Canada (July, 1991). It was from Jackman, Maine. Two young agents in the crisply pressed royal blue uniforms went through everything inside the RV. (Never did they open a bay on the outside.) When they exited the RV, they had golden retriever hair all over their uniforms.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had a single issue crossing into Canada but coming back into the US a couple of light random searches over the last 40 years. Oddest one was when they took our cell phones and keep us there for a couple hours. By the way we only had dumb phones so I have no idea what took so long. :h

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I cross to Canada I get asked if I have any firearms. EVERY time. No problem, I say no, and I'm on my way.

The only time I have had a problem was crossing back into the USA at Detroit about 20-25 years ago. It must have been my turn for a random check. Pulled the Explorer up to a covered area, was told to wait inside, and a couple of agents literally tore the car apart. Took panels loose from the doors, removed the panels in the rear cargo area, removed my air cleaner, removed my spare. They didn't put anything back. I had to put the air cleaner back together just to leave, and had a friend at an auto body shop put the door panels back on correctly.

That was the exception rather than the rule, but I wasn't pleased.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)