cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

West yellowstone to I-90 West

retired_frog
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling a 30' 5er out of W. Yellowstone, which route N. 191 or 287 to I-90 W.? Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Temporary bridging on I-5 across the Skagit River is now open to traffic in both directions.

retired_frog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks paulj, I'll check out 97 to see how it fits our fits our final route to AK. looks like a good traffic by-pass.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are painting stripes on the temporary replacement bridge, so it should be open tomorrow. Traffic will have to slow to 40 mph because the lanes are 11 ft.

But traffic hasn't been too bad on the detours, except last weekend. Most of the time the north bound detour has taken 15-20 minutes.

Try not to pass through the Seattle area Friday afternoon. Everyone is heading out of town, so traffic north bound on I405/I5 will be heavy.

Are you taking a ferry, or otherwise need to go through Seattle and Vancouver? If not, consider taking US97 north to BC, bypassing the busier highways and border crossings on the west side of the mountains.

retired_frog
Explorer
Explorer
paulj, I'm heading west to Seattle & I-5 N on our way to Alaska. What's the bridge outage & detour. Is there a fast way for me to bypass the bridge from I-90? I'm leaving Yellowstone tomorrow & expect to be there in 3 days. Thanks.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which direction are you heading after getting to I90?

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
ReneeG, yes we use this way whether we are coming or going to I-90 and RT 191. We usually make a Bozeman run for groceries, etc. if we are in the Island Park area (which we are now) or Bakers Hole CG for a month or more. I have to say that seeing quite a few Wal-Mart RV parks over the years, the Bozeman W-M may be the busiest. I love it!

It sure is! I was amazed at the number of RV's parked there. Love Baker's Hole - one of our favorites. Enjoy your stay.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG, yes we use this way whether we are coming or going to I-90 and RT 191. We usually make a Bozeman run for groceries, etc. if we are in the Island Park area (which we are now) or Bakers Hole CG for a month or more. I have to say that seeing quite a few Wal-Mart RV parks over the years, the Bozeman W-M may be the busiest. I love it!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
Nothing wrong with 191, there is a little construction where they are adding a turn lane at a couple of camp grounds. When coming into the Bozeman area, 191 will make a right which is Huffine Lane. Go straight at that intersection which is RT 85 (Jack Rabbit Ln). This will take you to I-90 at Belgrade west of Bozeman. It will eliminate the cluster in Bozeman. There is also two dump stations in Belgrade if you need them. Rocky Mountain Supply I-90/Rt85 and Town Pump at the same I-90/RT85

Good for us to know too. Thanks!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Flip a coin and enjoy the trip ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with 191, there is a little construction where they are adding a turn lane at a couple of camp grounds. When coming into the Bozeman area, 191 will make a right which is Huffine Lane. Go straight at that intersection which is RT 85 (Jack Rabbit Ln). This will take you to I-90 at Belgrade west of Bozeman. It will eliminate the cluster in Bozeman. There is also two dump stations in Belgrade if you need them. Rocky Mountain Supply I-90/Rt85 and Town Pump at the same I-90/RT85

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
191 is a piece of cake and beautiful scenery. I never tried 287.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Either route is good. On 287 a little North of Ennis is a grade, but really nothing major. You would end up on the interstate. 191 is very scenic, follows the river, but wide for your towing. This route will take you through part of Bozeman then route you to the interstate near a huge Wal-Mart very popular with RV'ers for overnighting. Based on either one being good, the decision would be yours.