cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wildfire closes Alaska Hwy south of Fort Nelson BC - July 8

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
From http://energeticcity.ca/article/news/2015/07/08/fire-crews-pulled-away-from-alaska-highway-blaze-rei...

Fire crews pulled away from Alaska Highway blaze; reinforcements on the way

Strong, gusting winds have helped the Big Beaver Creek wildfire leap across the Alaska Highway south of Fort Nelson, and made the inferno too volatile for firefighters to battle, officials say.

Firefighters and airtankers were called in to contain the blaze earlier today only to be called off as the fire nearly doubled in size and skipped across Mile 250 of the highway, according to Fire Information Officer Erin Catherall.

“As soon as it becomes safe for crews, we will definitely have people there,” she said.

“Right now, safety is our number one priority, and right now it is too dangerous to have crews go into the area.”

The fire was just 135 hectares earlier today, but has quickly spread to more than 250 hectares.

A team of firefighters from Ontario is on its way to help fight and contain the 30-plus fires currently burning in the Fort Nelson Fire Zone, and are expected to arrive before the end of the week.

The Alaska Highway is currently closed between Prophet River and Fort Nelson. A decision to reopen the highway will be monitored on a day to day basis, Catherall said.

“The fire activity is very extreme, so for safety of the public we’ve had to close the highway,” she said.

“When it’s safe, we’ll be working to build containment.”

Firefighters had been hoping for some rain today, but the moisture never materialized.

Conditions remain extremely dry in the area and forest fuels are ripe for a spark. The region is averaging between one to three new fire starts a day, according to Catherall.

Initial attack crews remain on standby to respond to those fires to they don’t become out of control, said Catherall.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!
7 REPLIES 7

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
At 8:30 a.m. Yukon time, CBC Radio is advising that the highway is now open with a pilot car.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The DriveBC webcam shows rain this morning, maybe that will help. This image will update automatically as time goes by so you'll always see the current conditions, rather than the conditions when I posted the link to the image.

The camera is south of Fort Nelson, looking north, rather than south towards the fire area.

sue t.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
This morning's update from http://drivebc.ca indicates the highway continues to be closed south of Fort Nelson
sue t.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how many vehicles are sitting in Fort Nelson waiting. You guys got lucky. Given the amount of traffic I saw while there, it would affect a lot, though many would be sitting in Ft. St. John wanting to go north at this time of summer.

algolfer
Explorer
Explorer
We were one of the last group of vehicles allowed to continue on the highway past Fort Nelson. We encountered smoke just north of Whitehorse and it progressively got worse as we headed south. Currently in Dawson Creek and the smoke is not bad here. Rain is expected tonight in Fort Nelson and the authorities are hoping it will help with the fires and opening of the road.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Holy smokes! That's quite a photo!

As I sat home today, reading articles about all the fires in BC and Alaska, I was very happy I went when I did, in early June, returning in early July. I had hoped to stay longer, but needed to get back. It's just terrible what's going on up there.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
From alaskahighwaynews.ca/extreme-fire-activity-blocks-alaska-highway-at-mile-250

'Extreme fire activity' blocks Alaska Highway at Mile 250

B.C. Wildfire Management confirmed the Big Beaver Creek fire has jumped the Alaska Highway between Prophet River and Fort Nelson, forcing the road to be closed and cutting Fort Nelson off from the south for the time being.

The Northern Rockies Regional Municipality (NRRM) and the provincial government issued the notice Wednesday afternoon.

The road closure takes affect 30 kilometres north of Prophet River at Mile 250 of the Alaska Highway.

All 52 firefighters tending to the blaze were pulled off earlier in the day as increased winds in the area fanned the flames to the point where it unsafe to continue fighting the fire.

“As of today just with the winds that were in the area, it picked up some aggressive fire behaviour,” wildfire spokesperson Jill Kelsh said. “Crews were pulled off it due to safety concerns and it reached the highway. Now it’s crossed the highway.”

Traffic controls are in place and the RCMP is on scene, Kelsh added.

NRRM mayor Bill Streeper said drivers on the highway cannot see where they are going.

“All we are doing is monitoring the fire, and as soon as the safety concern changes, which could happen instantly if the wind changes — we’ll be opening the road back up,” he said.

There is no estimate as to when the road could be reopened.

Drive BC will provide an update at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

“We realize the importance of the highway and the transportation of goods back and forth and so the minute we can confirm it’s safe, we’ll open it,” Streeper added.

The Big River Creek fire was discovered Sunday. It was caused by lightning.

Since then, one helicopter, an air tanker and 52 fire fighters have been combating the blaze.

The air tankers have been establishing protection lines for ground crews, prioritizing the highway as the main area of concern.

Before being pulled off the fire, crews were establishing access points and laying hose.

Scattered showers are expected in the Fort Nelson area beginning this evening and into Thursday.

“We’re hoping that the rains will come sooner rather than later,” Kelsh said.
sue t.