cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone Trip

heagle52
Explorer
Explorer
In a month we are heading to Yellowstone from NC. Will be taking the major highways: I-40 West, I-24 to Kansas City, I-80 to North Platte, NE. From there going I-25 North/US87 to Casper, WY, then thru Cody, WY via I255/US20/12W to East Entrance of YNP, staying at Fishing Bridge RV Park for 5 nights.

Plan on driving no more than 10 hours a day and have already made reservations for stops along the way.

After YNP will be going to Jackson, WY for a few days then returning basically the same route. Taking about 3 weeks for trip.

Any suggestions appreciated.
2012 Ford F250 CC
2013 Sabre 32RETS
5 REPLIES 5

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, the road into and out of the Bighorn Mtns. deserve your respect but are do-able. We did this route in 2004. Be sure to stock up on food & supplies before getting into YNP. Stuff in the "trading posts" is very expensive and you'll not have much of a selection of brands/varieties/serving sizes. Gas will be expensive in the park, too, but there is little you can do about that. We drove over 300 miles within Yellowstone itself just to see the major attractions. Enjoy & safe travels. We hope to return to YNP someday.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for Shell Canyon. Do your home work. it is steep, it is long, It's beautiful.

Shell Canyon.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a great trip! Sounds like you have the basics covered well. I'm glad you are spending 5 nights in YNP - you'll need them, as there's a lot of ground to cover. As knshook indicates, it's helpful to plan to spend each day in a different section of the park and enjoy what each has to offer. Do you have a CG for the Tetons yet? If not, I'd recommend Colter Bay RV Park if you need hookups, or Colter Bay or Gros Ventre (NPS/NFS CGs) get good reviews for no-hookup sites. Make reservations there too.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yellowstone, Teton's & Cody for the month of June. We just left and are now in S. Dakota. While in a Cody don't miss the Buffalo Bill Wild West Center. We will be forever grateful for that recommendation. We really loved Teton NP and found some of the best animal viewing to be directly behind the Jackson Lake Lodge; we saw moose,elk,grizzly, sandhill cranes,pronghorn,white pelicans.There Is a path that you can follow up the hillside right behind the lodge.
Yellowstone is huge. We were there for two weeks and we could have spent two more,and two more after that but you have time to catch the main attractions. We also stayed at Fishing Bridge -which was a fairly central location. You have to do the Old Faithful area of course and from there it's just up to you. We enjoyed seeing Geyser area. We liked the Canyon of the Yellowstone area and the Upper and Lower Falls are spectacular. We saw lots of wild life in the Hayden Valley area. We spent time in Lamar Valley looking for wolves but the only wolf we ended up seeing was right at Fishing Bridge. He was sitting on a hill overlooking the road and he actually proceeded to come down the hill and walk across the bridge. He was beautiful and very large. It was very early in the morning and there were four of us lucky enough to see him.
Gosh....there is just so much to see and do. I'm sure others will have good suggestions,too.I know one thing for certain- you will have a great time no matter what you do. We have a beautiful country. Almost forgot this- The road from Cody to East Entance is very scenic!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Spending any time in Cody? Many stay at Walmart if no reservations. Free concert in the park on Fridays, Chop house is good restaurant. Irma great for breakfast. Museum in Cody is getting very pricey. Rodeo every night at 8pm.