cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is soon. Any tips or comments?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
We are very excited to attend the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta for the first time.

I just wanted to ask any of you if you had any tips, suggestions, or comments relating to the Fiesta. Any, "don't miss" events? Anything we should be sure to bring? Anything to avoid or watch out for?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
21 REPLIES 21

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss Old Town as someone mentioned. I'd also take a trip on the Tram. Be prepared for cold and/or hot weather. It can be cold in the mornings and hot in the afternoons. If you take the tram ride, take a jacket as it could be real cold in short sleeved. You go from about 5500 ft. elevation to 10,400 ft. and the weather can really change. If you don't do anything else but watch the balloons, be sure to get away from the fiesta grounds to get some great New Mexican food. Have fun. We'll step out our back door and watch the balloons too.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A Gen-turi is for your neighbor so they do not eat your exhaust. Hopefully the rig to your right will have one too as you will be parked like sardines. I carry a metal 90 degree sweep (picture in my link/post above) that I have loaned to a inconsiderate neighbor that is blowing their exhaust towards me when parked close together. I also have a sweep that I put on my AquaHot to turn it's exhaust upwards and away from my neighbor. One that size (2"ID) is harder to find.

I did find ......this one on Ebay. Doubt a PVC one would not melt but for a couple $ worth a try.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

If it's you first time to visit Albuquerque take a trip in to Old Town Albuquerque to shop around.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Could not find if you have a Gen-turi type device for your generator. You will be parked close together assuming you are not stay at a CG miles away or at a site with power. Here is a recent post on them.
We will be there and they start early with the balloon flights so it can be cold to start and then warm up a lot.
The above link gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.
Thanks for posting this. I wondered about the Gen-turi device. We boondock often and simply close the windows next to the exhaust. We have a diesel generator and never had a single problem doing that. Is there some other reason I'd want the Gen-turi? I'm happy to close two windows and it works well without the Gen-turi. Can't smell a thing.
`

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
wxtoad wrote:
We spent a week at the Fiesta in 2013 and had a great time. A great way to enjoy it up close and personal is to volunteer as a crew member. I did that and really enjoyed learning more about balloons. The pilot I crewed for rewarded me with a ride my last day there.

You can sign up in advance of the Fiesta, which is what I did, or you can just show up early each morning and volunteer for any pilot who is short-handed that morning.

Here is an article I wrote about our fun-filled week, along with pictures.
Nice blog post. I signed up to crew with my daughter.
`

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Could not find if you have a Gen-turi type device for your generator. You will be parked close together assuming you are not stay at a CG miles away or at a site with power. Here is a recent post on them.
We will be there and they start early with the balloon flights so it can be cold to start and then warm up a lot.
The above link gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a week at the Fiesta in 2013 and had a great time. A great way to enjoy it up close and personal is to volunteer as a crew member. I did that and really enjoyed learning more about balloons. The pilot I crewed for rewarded me with a ride my last day there.

You can sign up in advance of the Fiesta, which is what I did, or you can just show up early each morning and volunteer for any pilot who is short-handed that morning.

Here is an article I wrote about our fun-filled week, along with pictures.

Have a great time!

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13