cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking east of Mammoth Lakes in winter??

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just can't get enough of that cold weather camping -- DW is talking about heading out again during mid-December, and who am I to say no? We are wondering whether the Hot Creeks Hatchery/Benton Crossing area east of Mammoth is open in winter. Obviously, if it is covered in deep snow, it's impossible. And if there is a storm coming in, no way. And if really cold temps are forecast (down to zero), that's a deal killer, too. But these past several winters have seen relatively little snow cover, especially east of 395, so it is theoretically possible . . . .

So that is my question -- if the snow is not an impossible barrier, has anyone camped in that area during the winter? I did an archive search and came up empty, and Google was no help, either. I also looked on Google Earth -- there is only one wintertime image from December of 2005. Although I saw no snow, I did not see anyone boondocking, either, which is not a good sign.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
12 REPLIES 12

MrWizard
The only time I was at mt lassen.. many years ago in July
Still had snow on the top in July
Me and the kids hiked the trail to the top of the peak
At night It was 33ยฐ F in the campground by lake manzanita
And we were in a canvas pup, I burned the Coleman lantern all night to provide was heat and s slept fully clothed buried in our sleeping bags
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Closer to LA, Lassen is getting dumped on--100" and counting--and to a lesser extent Shasta.

Mammoth is still struggling, claiming 36"-42" at the top, about half of minimum coverage.

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Mammoth wants you to think they have a lot of snow, but 18"-22" is about six feet short of normal for December. What storms Cali is getting are hitting just north of there, Tahoe/Donner.

Current leader for West Coast snow is Bend/Bachelor, which is fully covered in white but not yet terribly deeply covered. Only Jackson Hole, WY is at or above its typical snow depth (and 100% open), if we're talking about snow.

More storms expected this week but somebody else will have to hold their breath.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger, there was a huge late November windstorm in 2011 -- that was probably the killer. 140 mph sustained winds on top of Mammoth Mtn!! Throughout the Eastern Sierra, from roughly Tioga Pass through Big Pine, we have seen enormous thickets of fairly recent blowdowns. The Forest Service is trying to clear the dead trees from the trails and roads, but it is a very big project.

And by the way, we had to cancel our trip -- too much snow already, with more storms on the way. Even though I want to go camping, it is a pleasure to have some snow and rain, after so many dry and hot years.
About our trailer

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Volcanic Table Lands is beautiful and access is easy. I have not been there in winter. On my last non-winter trip through that area a couple of years ago, I saw many trees which had broken or blown down by extreme winds. I do not know the season in which those winds occurred.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,

Have never camped out there, but have driven in there in the winter. Watch out for mud.

An alternative that won't require going up the grade out of Bishop if you are interested would be the Volcanic Table Lands.

Have fun,
Steve

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Green, those are good recommendations -- and yes, we could stay at the RV park, but we like silence and privacy and views -- boondocking! A campground is a second choice.

We have also considered the Rock Creek Sno-Park, since the county plows up to that point. The problem is that the Sno-Park is three miles or more from the trailhead -- so even with backcountry skis, it is a long way just to get to the lakes on Rock Creek. (Plus you should see me on backcountry skis -- I look like a moose with a poor sense of balance -- very awkward.)

Many years ago (36 years, to be exact!!), we stayed at the Rock Creek Winter Lodge in a primitive cabin -- no bathroom, put on your snowshoes to go to the bathroom at night. Kind of rugged. They have upgraded their facilities, but now it is very expensive (not surprisingly). In those days, the food at the lodge was really excellent -- I would guess that it still is.

We have never stayed at Tamarack, although we have camped right nearby. This may be the year to stay there, if we ever get any snow.
About our trailer

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
There's two CGs up there and French Camp might be the one that's closed in winter. I want to say "rock Creek" is the other, but I keep thinking that's actually up towards Convict Lake. Oh how the memory wanders off!

Prof, if CG camping qualifies, why not just stay at the Mammoth Mountain RV Park? Open all winter and cable TV included. Shuttle bus stop right there will take you up to the mountain.

For that matter, why not Tamarack lodge? Didn't you do a trip report on this? That whole area up Lake Mary road will offer some great, great XC skiing and snowshoeing. My pick for snow travel would be to poach the chair 25 area which is lightly used even when open.

Just sayin!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Green, thanks a lot! I had never heard of that campground -- I am going to check it out!!
About our trailer

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped several times in the area you're asking about, in winter and/or early spring.

If you're looking for cold weather you're going to find it there, as long as you're not too picky about how cold it gets overnight. On one trip it dropped below zero on me. Rather balmy for the Dakotas or Canada, but on a quick trip up from LA that can be quite a pucker.

As you know there is a lot of room out there and no restriction on boondocking, once you get past the DWP property near the highway. In that area I would go out Green Church (Benton Crossing) road past the animal hospital until a bit of a rise about a mile or so out, and look for a wide, well-travelled gravel road to the left. This road is just before Benton starts heading downhill.

Snowpack is not likely to be an issue in this area, even in heavy snow years. A major storm up at Mammoth doesn't seem to dump nearly as much out there, and I believe Benton is plowed frequently. And as I said this area is well travelled--disturbingly so, if you ask me. Based on the number of drive-bys I got, I would not leave a rig unattended out there for long.

As for the Hot Creek area north of the airport, the roads out there deteriorate quickly into rutty double track. I've driven there in the winter with snow on the ground, but I wouldn't camp there if a winter storm was expected. Lots of roads and lots of boondocking there, but too easy to get stuck, IMO.

As an alternative, French Camp NFS campground is open all winter (or at least used to be), down the road a bit. It's located right here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/wintersports/recarea/?recid=20382&actid=31

It's actually quite nice there in the winter, but again, it gets a lot of creepy drive-throughs.

Another boondocking area to consider is the "Mammoth Lakes scenic loop/Dry Creek road" area. This road connects Mommoth Lakes to the 395 about 5 miles north of Minaret road. Except for the two miles closest to mammoth it is all open for boondocking. If it is a heavy snow year this is a VERY popular staging area for snow machiners, which means there will be noise. On the other hand I would have no issue leaving a rig here unattended.

You'll find rather varied terrain here with plenty of trees and truly sublime tent-camping sites about a hundred feet off the road. Bring a couple of snow shovels and expect plenty of excercise cutting out a spot to back in a TT--or maybe you'll find one pre-cut. This area would be my choice.

Good luck!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIm -- great tips -- thanks! It does not sound like anyone is planning to stick around in that area through December. . . .
About our trailer

NoLookingBack
Explorer
Explorer
You might try the below two sites. These people have just been caravaning down 395 and boondocking in that area.

http://www.wheelingit.us/
http://www.technomadia.com/
Jim