cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking near Winthrop wa

k_jensen6
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know of areas around Winthrop wa good for boon docking in a 40'?
6 REPLIES 6

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
We camped with our 36' DP a few years ago in the Methow State Wildlife Area about 6 miles north of Winthrop right off the asphalt road at Boulder Creek. BTW - Many but not all Washington WMAs (wildlife management areas) offer free dispersed camping. This time of year, there are no hunters and we had great camping luck in several nice WMAs. As a matter of fact, boondockers should always check the states WMAs wherever they are as even in the populated east, many are open off season to dispersed camping, though you may be limited to the WMA parking area. Almost all sites have pit toilets in Washington I've found.

Here is link to camping in the Methow WMA - Methow WMA access info
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The Methow Valley Ranger District Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest phone number is 509-996-4003.

This will allow some research of campgrounds in the area. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=59073&actid=29 Dispersed camping is advised by a call to the Ranger District.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our Favorite camp sites in the Okanogan National Forest are Loup Loup, any open space off the south summit road at Loup Loup pass. and of course the state park at Conconully which of course isn't boon docking, because they have full hook ups, and a tavern with in walking distance.

Be aware most of the roads in the forest are gravel, and some are not good. If you tow a toad, park at the Red barn, and go explore.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
k.jensen6 wrote:

In a 40 ft MH... not unless you are willing to take in on gravel roads.

I'm not even going into those details unless you answer that question "yes".

But if you are looking for a USFS campground that is not very expensive, look into Klipchuck CG just 1.2 miles off of hwy 20, appx mile post 172 if I remember right. It's between Early Winters CG and Lone Fir CG. It should have a host. Water is available (ask the host real nice if you can fill at their spigot using your hose). No electric. No sewer. Great birding spot. Deer wander through the campground. Dogs need to be attended to AT ALL TIMES.

There are two sites that will fit a 40ft MH in the CG.

The rules for boondocking in the US National Forests have changed in the past years. You must check with the nearest FS headquarters to see what area is open. You can't trust that signs will be posted in restricted areas.

Maybe this phone number still works: Methow Valley Ranger District Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest (509)996-4021
Kathy

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
k.jensen6 wrote:

Any of the camp sites north on the Chewuch Rd past the ranger station should accommodate a 40' motor home.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
As far as actual boondocking, it's pretty skimpy, There are a couple nice State Forestry sites west of Twisp, on #20, about..mmm...20? miles. There is also Perigin State Park just out of Wintrhop.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/