cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA Redwoods ideas

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for info on where the best place to stay in the big trees. We boondock in a class B so there is no need for hook-ups but we would use them if needed. Any info at all would be appreciated. Thank-you.
25 REPLIES 25

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
My vote goes to Albee Creek campground.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although we stayed at Elk Prairie CG recently (and liked it a lot), we have had good stays at Kamp Klamath. It is not fancy at all, but the setting and location are good. The BBQ on Saturday was good, followed by some excellent live music -- I don't know if they do that every Saturday all year round.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
JT wrote:

"JT" KNOWS there aren't any hookups at any of the campgrounds within Redwood NP, and tried to point that out by posting RNP's website, which clearly states that there are no hookups at any of the campgrounds within RNP.

:R

Sorry, but the above post is simply not true.

I guess "JT" did not read my last post wherein I apologized for the confusion on the name of the CG but..... Prairie Creek Campground State Park IS inside of Redwoods National Park which is why we got the Geezer pass Discount and it does have the hookups I described.

Go to the Prairie Creek SP Campground website:

www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Prairie_Creek_Redwoods_Sp/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=CA&parkId=120074

The following is the description of our site (#06 which by the way is a Handicapped site right next to #11 which was the Host site), and please take note of the last word "Developed" which in fact refers to 30 amp service along with the water spigot:

Site Details:
Site Type: STANDARDSite Reserve Type: Site-SpecificADA Accessible: YCheckin Time: 2:00 pmCheckout Time: 12:00 pmType of Use: OvernightMin Num of People: 1Max Num of People: 8Max Num of Vehicles: 2Driveway Surface: PavedDriveway Entry: Back-InDriveway Length: 30Max Vehicle Length: 30Looking For Category: RV Site,Tent Site,Trailer SiteSite Rating: Developed

JT
Explorer
Explorer
"Desert Captain" is the poster who wrote that s/he had camped at Elk Prairie cg with hookups.

"JT" KNOWS there aren't any hookups at any of the campgrounds within Redwood NP, and tried to point that out by posting RNP's website, which clearly states that there are no hookups at any of the campgrounds within RNP.

:R

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mea Culpa! (and yes my parents really were married) :E

We were in the Prairie Creek, not Elk Creek - my bad, Campground which is located in Prairie Creek State Park which is located within Redwoods National Park. My apologies for the confusion. It was gorgeous, $17.50 a night w/Geezer pass and every site has 30 amp electric and water though I did not see a dump station they do have very nice pay showers (50 cents for 5 minutes), and flush toilets. :S

joelmyer
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at Kamp Klamath. Very reasonable with Passport America.

Two highlights of my trip were the saturday night all you can eat chicken and salmon bbq at Kamp Klamath. You don't have to stay there but call a day or so ahead so they can plan.

The other was Howland Hill Road in the State Park north of Klamath.

Joel
Joel & Camille, GA

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
JT wrote:
"This CG is located in Redwoods National Park. We had 30 amps and water in our site, as did everyone else."
---
Interesting.... All the campground information sites, including RA, state that there are no hookups at *any* of the campgrounds, state or federally operated, within Redwood National Park, and I don't recall ever seeing site hookups at any of the RNP campgrounds. Oh, well....:)

we've stayed at Elk Prairie CG in Prairie Creek SP many times and there are NO electric hookups. there are water hookups at campsites #1-#7 but that's all. no electrical hookups in any of the campsites.
here's a quote from their brochure:
"Sites: 75 tent or RV (no hook-ups)"
if you don't believe me, check Reserve America. all are standard, no hookups campsites.

you must be thinking of some other campground.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Big Sur farther South.

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Lots of great places! Either we will have to choose the best one for us or we will have to stay at all of them! We are looking at an early June arrival in that area as we are planning to see as many Baseball stadiums as we can on our way to the east coast. Looking to be in Virginia in late August/early Sept. Thanks for all the great info!

JT
Explorer
Explorer
"This CG is located in Redwoods National Park. We had 30 amps and water in our site, as did everyone else."
---
Interesting.... All the campground information sites, including RA, state that there are no hookups at *any* of the campgrounds, state or federally operated, within Redwood National Park, and I don't recall ever seeing site hookups at any of the RNP campgrounds. Oh, well....:)

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Elk Prairie Campground:
While sites at Elk Prairie campground may be available on a first-come, first-served basis, reservations are strongly recommended for camping between May 1 and September 30. Reserve online www.ReserveAmerica.com or by calling 1-800-444-7275.
73 RV or tent sites
Trailer length limit on RVs is 27 feet
Restrooms and coin operated showers
Bear-proof locker, picnic tabel and fire pit in each campsite
Campfire programs, guided walks and junior ranger programs (seasonal)
Located at the southern end of Newton B Drury Pkwy
Campgro"

This CG is located in Redwoods National Park. We had 30 amps and water in our site, as did everyone else. The rate in mid September was $35 but with our Geezer pass $17.50. {my bad, I see now the typo in my original post, left off the one}. :S

It is a gorgeous CG with Elk often seen early morning or late evening grazing in the adjacent meadow. The drive up from Fort Bragg, McKerricher SP, on Highway 1 was awesome! :C

JT
Explorer
Explorer
"Redwoods National Park was very nice and only $7.50 a night with our Geezer pass including hook ups."
----
:@ According to this page, there are no campgrounds, either state or run by the NPS (Mill Creek and Gold Bluffs Beach) within Redwood NP
which have hookups.

http://www.nps.gov/redw/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm#CP_JUMP_26707

If you paid half-price with a Senior Pass, it had to be a federally-operated campground; ???

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in Humboldt and Prairie Creek and Jackson State Forest in Sept -- lots of great campgrounds:

Redwoods blog post

How long is your rig??
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed at Ancient Redwoods RV this last September, nice park. It's right in among the Redwoods so it's a very convenient place to stay not to mention well maintained. The gift shop is unbelievable and the owners are super nice.

If you're into night photography it's also a great place to shoot the stars.

We loved it there, I wish we could've stayed longer but unfortunately we had to keep moving.

Dan