cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground suggestions in Utah and Idaho?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heading as far south as Las Vegas this summer. Thinking about coming back to BC through Utah and Idaho via I-15. Not sure what to expect in those states at all and are flying blind at this point. Any suggestions for campgrounds or is there maybe little difference between them? We have Thousand Trails and they don't have CGs there. Also have RPI and have half a dozen places - have not researched them yet and don't know if they are near anything of interest.

I guess there will be some must-see places that will affect where we would want to stay like Bryce Canyon, Zion and Yellowstone national parks. No idea if it is difficult to find a CG or more costly to stay at one near major attractions.

I think you can stay at some national parks with an RV? Are there any cons to doing this? Have never stayed at a NP.
5 REPLIES 5

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
Are you looking for true campgrounds with little or no hookups? Or RV parks with full hookups?

FHU campgrounds (we're not dry camper types) unless there happened to be something amazing that we simply could not miss out on.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We love staying in the national parks for the best overall experience. You don't have to drive daily from the outskirts, you can enjoy the early morning and evening hours without the daytime crowds. For Grand Canyon - South Rim, try for Trailer Village in the park. It has full hookups and the free shuttle stops at the campground. You can ride all day long getting on and off wherever.

For Bryce the campsites are dry camping - no hookups. If you want hookups, Ruby's RV just outside the park is the best.

Zion - Watchman campground in the park has electric and dump station/water fill. The town of Springdale just outside the park entrance would be a good place to stay, too. Again, the free park shuttle stops in town.

Yellowstone - there are plenty of campgrounds in the park or outside the park at West Yellowstone, Gardiner or Cody.

If you go to Yellowstone, don't pass up Grand Teton Nat'l Park. It's a beauty and altogether different than Yellowstone. Gros Ventre campground or Colter Bay campground each have 300 dry camping sites and no reservations are accepted. We've always gotten a site, especially if you pull in during the morning. There's also Colter Bay RV which is right next to Colter Bay campground. The RV park has full hookups.

Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the U.S.
Actually, Idaho has some pretty good scenery. West of I-15 has mountains that are great. Coeur d Alene area has mining history, Farragut State Park (good camping), more restaurants then almost anywhere, and friendly people. Bike riding (road & mountain), and hiking is outside our door.
Come on down.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
There's a vast difference in climate, terrain, and sights. Southern Utah will be hot, dry, and lots of neat sandstone formations. North of I-70 you start to get into cooler areas with a little more rainfall, so you see some farmland and distant mountain ranges. In Idaho you will see some farmland and plenty of mountain ranges, with forests and lakes.

Zion NP is hard to get into without reservations. Same thing inside Yellowstone. Other places, it will depend; weekends are bound to be busier, of course.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Are you looking for true campgrounds with little or no hookups? Or RV parks with full hookups?