cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds near Denver that do not permit campfires

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Where, within two or three hours of Denver, are campgrounds that do not permit campfires, preferably with hiking trails and electrical hookups?
26 REPLIES 26

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
A little late to the party here, but Barr Lake is not somewhere I'd go. I live not far from there, and it's a pretty crappy RV park. It's not attractive either. It's got a lot of full timers and I think the only reason it does any traveler business at all is because there's nothing else around.

The RV Retreat at Johnson's Corner in Johnstown is probably a better idea. It's just right on top of the Interstate. I'm also not sure of their campfire policy as I've never stayed there. I just know it looks nicer than Barr Lake! ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, there is indeed a burn ban throughout most of CO at this point. However, many places will still allow fires within fire rings, we just returned from a weekend at Boyd Lake SP and we could have a fire there within the ring. However, because of where our site was located in the park, we had no smoke anywhere near us (except when we had our own fire). We were in spot 128 in the F loop if that helps.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are fire restrictions in 12 Colorado counties presently, including 4 in the Denver area but not Denver county. Bad time of year, dry, hot and windy. And the usual monsoon moisture flow has been minimal.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedgehopper wrote:
Colo Native wrote:
Give it a few more days and they will all ban fires due to the heat and dry weather.
From the newspaper, it looks as though half of Colorado is on fire. But I have heard nothing about a campfire ban.

Burn ban in effect for all of Boulder County, as a result of the fire near Nederland.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
Give it a few more days and they will all ban fires due to the heat and dry weather.
From the newspaper, it looks as though half of Colorado is on fire. But I have heard nothing about a campfire ban.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:
Where, within two or three hours of Denver, are campgrounds that do not permit campfires, preferably with hiking trails and electrical hookups?

To answer your question, IIRC, all of the RV Parks/Campgrounds inside Estes Park city limits prohibit open fires. I know that Elk Meadows,Paradise on the River, and Spruce Lake prohibit. Estes Park Campground at Mary's Lake and East Portal do allow campfires, as they are located outside city limits.
This morning I checked with Paradise and learned that they are fully booked for the summer. So I guess I will have to look further. It's good to know that not allowing campfires will not put an RV park out of business.

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the support. I is much appreciated.
sometimes this can be a thankless job!!
:R
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedgehopper wrote:
The website of Paradise in Estes Park has this statement: "We do not allow wood burning fires in Paradise, however we do have propane fire-rings available for rent." That would work for me as I do not have an allergic reaction to burning propane as I do to burning wood.

This is also the same statement on the map/rules hand out from Elk Meadows, with the added notation of an exception for the fire pit located by the entrance for guest events. I've stayed there and never saw an event with a campfire there at the entrance. When I checked in, I was told that they were not permitted by the Town of Estes Park, to allow fire rings at the individual sites only at an organized event site. This may or may not be true, I've not looked it up in the Estes Park Municipal Code ๐Ÿ˜‰ but it's what I was told.

IIRC, Spruce Lake has the same information on their map/rules hand out, since they are owned by the same company. It's been a while since I've stayed there, but I don't recall seeing fire pits at the sites.

Manor RV Park states that their sites include a patio and picnic table, and that there is a fire pit at the clubhouse.

These are the ones in Estes that I've experienced first hand. Haven't stayed at Paradise on the River, but have been through the park checking it out. It's nice, though a bit tight.

Hope you find something that will fit your needs!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
OK, busskipper got me to thinking about this and I am, knowingly, diverting from the thread to say this. But I am going to do it anyhow!

I have known Answerswillvary for years on this Forum and also private messages. She has been a very dedicated lady and very professional in handling some really tough things (this thread here, I think, was minor compared to some).

I have thanked her personally by Private Message and on the Forum in the past for this wonderful service she has performed.

And I am doing it again - on here, publicly.

Thank you so much!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO the three strikes you're out rule should apply here.

Thank You AnswersWillVery
JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Perhaps also advising you which ones DO permit campfires may assist you more in your search, so you can rule them out.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, other than private RV parks, I can pretty much assume that every campground allows campfires.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
The website of Paradise in Estes Park has this statement: "We do not allow wood burning fires in Paradise, however we do have propane fire-rings available for rent." That would work for me as I do not have an allergic reaction to burning propane as I do to burning wood.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a suggestion, most localities and/or regions have a prevailing wind direction which means you the OP can ask only for one of the sites on the end of the CG that are upwind so all the smoke blows away from you. Maybe not the perfect solution for every minute you are there but still a lot better than having the smoke blowing at you knowingly. Assuming smoke bothers you for some reason. The office people at a CG likely can probably help you also with what they know about smoke blowing direction as they see it occur every day and/or night.

BTW, I looked up the CG's in Estes Park city and all that I found allow campfires and it's stated in their websites. Also, Barr Lake CG N.E of Denver does also.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedgehopper wrote:

Perhaps also advising you which ones DO permit campfires may assist you more in your search, so you can rule them out.

For locations that have hiking, electric, AND allow campfires, you probably don't want to consider the Red Feather Lakes area. They have electric, but also allow campfires in provided fire rings and sell firewood. It can get pretty smokey up there at Dowdy Lake, West Lake, and Bellaire Lake.

In Poudre Canyon, most of the CG don't have electric, with the exception of Mountain Park, which is on the river, has electric, and also allows campfires.

These above are in the Roosevelt National Forest Ranger area, and the remainder of them, in Poudre Canyon as well as along the Peak-to-Peak Highway all are no hookups, but do allow campfires. I was up at Camp Dick a few weekends ago, there were a LOT of campfires, so a place like that probably wouldn't be what you're looking for. Beautiful place, though.

State Parks north of Denver -- Boyd Lake and St Vrain down in the flats all have some electric sites, and St Vrain has some full hookup...but they also provide grills. Same thing for Ranger Lakes over in the Colorado State Forest SP. Electric sites, but they also allow fires, and it gets real smokey over there. In Golden Gate Canyon SP at Reverend's Ridge, same thing...electric sites, but they also have grills.

Those are the ones that come to mind that DO NOT meet what you're looking for, so you can eliminate them if you wish. Hope you can find something that will work best for you; if I think of any others, either way, I'll post 'em!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, thank you, Moderator. But it is Ms - not Mr. And she is a very nice lady.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times