Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping in Rock Springs, Wy--Twin Falls Idaho--Bend Oregon

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rock Springs, Wy---Twin Falls, Idaho---Bend, Oregon

Trying to plan a trip to go through the above towns this summer and wanted to get some feedback on campgrounds in these areas, if you have been there. Just quick stopovers on the way to the Oregon coast but have not been through there with a 5th wheel. Would appreciate any feedback.
Much thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
16 REPLIES 16

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
East of Twin there's a decent overnighter called Village of Trees RV Park, in Declo. Grassy spots, a few with a bit of shade. Gas station next door (convenient) and it has a little restaurant attached, takeout for campers. (Not sure, with COVID, if the restaurant is open, but I believe the CG is.) We've been a couple times.

West of Twin - someone mentioned Three Island Crossing SP, which is nice. Electric & water sites only; not sure if there's a dump station. It could be full w/o an advance reservation. Not sure if the visitor center is open - pretty interesting spot if so.
Also we liked Hagerman RV Park in Hagerman - big shade trees (but probably not enough to block satellite signals). Decent overnighter.

Rock Springs KOA is ok (have been a couple times) but we like Lyman KOA, a bit west of there. A mile or so off the interstate so less road noise, rural atmosphere, can fit almost any size rig. Not too many FHUs but friendly owners & quiet place.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
We made reservations a year ago and then the Covid struck and everyone cancelled our reservations. Then I got hit with some health issues and now we are going to try it again. Have been making calls and emailing campgrounds. They have been telling us to make reservations now because everyone is camping this year. They see new rigs, rentals, and borrowed ones. They are packed almost all the time so that is what we are doing now.
Thanks,
Curly

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I hope you have reservations if you're stating at a State park on the Oregon coast. No res, no stay. Reservations can only be made two weeks out max.
Really sucks, as many times on a trip we would head up or down the coast and just wing it for camping spots.

So very true.

This year especially.

Some parks are even closed for some silly reason. I would not even think about going to Oregon Coast without a reservation. A 42 ft long rig is not easy to find a spot for. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you have reservations if you're stating at a State park on the Oregon coast. No res, no stay. Reservations can only be made two weeks out max.
Really sucks, as many times on a trip we would head up or down the coast and just wing it for camping spots.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Curly2001 wrote:
Going to end up near Seal Rock, Oregon. Could head north to the Newport area also. Thanks for all the tips. How is highway 20 to get there?
Curly

From Bend, go towards Eugene. From Eugene; go north on I-5 towards Corvallis and then 20 to Newport. Seal Rock RV Park is very nice. We have stayed there many times in the pickup camper and twice in the Momentum. Someday we will take our Solitude there too. It's a nice park, but they keep raising the prices.
Go North to Depoe Bay and maybe see some whales. Leave the rig at Seal Rock.
KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going to end up near Seal Rock, Oregon. Could head north to the Newport area also. Thanks for all the tips. How is highway 20 to get there?
Curly

marcel
Explorer
Explorer
For some local small campgrounds near enough to Twin that are real gems, try Banbury Hot Springs or Sligars on Hwy 30 west of Twin Falls. Both have natural hot-spring fed pools that are amazing and the camping is really nice on the Snake river. They are worth the diversion.
Burlet Clan: Karen & Marcel
Jacob: Lab/Akita, Lola: Boxer/Pit
"White Zin": Chevy Silverado 2500HD High Country
"Dalai Lama - One With Everything": Arctic Fox 27-5L

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Curly2001 wrote:

Trying to plan a trip to go through the above towns this summer and wanted to get some feedback on campgrounds in these areas, if you have been there. Just quick stopovers on the way to the Oregon coast but have not been through there with a 5th wheel. Would appreciate any feedback.
Much thanks,
Curly

WHich part of the Oregon Coast? North or South?

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Curly2001 wrote:

Much thanks,
Curly

Before Bend, Oregon is https://www.campendium.com/chickahominy-reservoirChickahominy Reservoir BLM

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all!!

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Twin Falls, we have used both Rock Creek County Park and the fairgrounds in Filer. A heads up about the fairgrounds. If there is big event going on they usually don't rent out RV sites.

ejmorgan
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at the Rock Springs/Green River KOA along side of Interstate 80 between the two cities. It's a no-frills, overnight stop, unshaded, gravel lot with full hookups. They have a small store and propane-fill service. Worked fine for 1 night. Easy-in, easy-out, easy back on I80 or US191.

Ed
Ed and Susan Morgan
TT -- 2019 Northwood Nash 24M travel trailer
TV -- 2004 Ford E-350 Extended Van, 6.8L V10, 4-spd. Automatic OD, 3.73 rear axle.
Generator -- Onan 3600 LP

Photo -- Doran Beach in Bodega Bay, Ca.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boise Stage Stop is a good overnighter. 43.383903, -115.999693
obgraham wrote:
Three Island Crossing at Glenns Ferry is a really nice park.
Very nice. Just up the road is a small private park.

Snowville UT has a nice private park with a driving range.

Milner Historic Rec Area on the Snake in Burley is just east of Twin Falls, and one of the nicest boondock camps I've ever visited. Right on the river, quiet, beautiful. Looks like OP would be driving right by there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
WalMart in Rock Springs, I have stayed there about 12 nights.