cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canton, OH to NY state campgrounds

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaving St. Louis on a week & a half to 2 week trip, with a stop in Canton, Ohio, gotta see the Football Hall of Fame, and trying to add a couple of states to our "visited" list. Thoughts were to see whats available near Cleveland and east along Lake Erie for camping. Go through PA and spend a night or so and on to NY to either Evangola SP or Lake Erie State Park before making the return trip.
My questions are:
A. If we plan on hitting the Cleveland area about the 10th of July, what is there, and should reservations be made there and/or along the way? Which we don't like to do, because we don't know what site we'd like, and being from the midwest and like to camp amongst trees, not in a field, nor when we will arrive.
B. Does PA have any decent campgrounds on Lake Erie? Or what would be the closest en-route to one of the NY parks?
C. Which of the NY parks would be best for a B camper, needing only electric and trees, preferable something on or near the lake.
D. Other than the Lake, what other attractions/food/historical sites are there to see and do?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
10 REPLIES 10

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again for all the great input. Think we're narrowing it down. Niagara Falls is now on the list.
Without getting to wordy, there's a history to the decision: Shortly after getting out of the service, late 60-early 70's, the DW, fiancee then, & I went to visit an Army buddy in Detroit. Decided to camp our way through Canada to Niagara Falls. First night out, camped on a beach on the Canadian side of Lake Erie, a storm came up and blew sand & rain at a sudden pace. I lost it and packed up everything and said we're leaving. I vowed that I'd never sleep in wet sand again. 90 miles from Niagara Falls in the dead of night, we packed up and headed to a motel outside of Detroit. Ever since then it's always been our private joke or reason to drive/push on to see what's around the bend. We'd simply say, "Not another Niagara Falls. Let's go on!"
So it looks like we'll hit Canton and do the Football HOF thing on Thursday and want to get to Four Mile Creek SP, NY on Saturday. Do the Niagara Falls thing Sunday and head back. MY question is that we are thinking of staying at Chapman Dam SP, PA Thursday & Friday nights. That would give us a day to relax. Are there any interesting sites of interest (history, waterfalls, ghost town, etc) (and don't forget restaurants) nearby? Or even a better campground in PA for a couple of nights. Not fond on private parks, much prefer state or Core parks.

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Gryphonguy
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at Geneva,Findlay and West Branch state parks. They are all good. It just depends on how far away you want to stay. West Branch would put you in between Canton and Cleveland and is very nice. It was redone a few years back and does have some full hook-up sites. Being in the summer, you would definitely want reservations. Most of the sites back up to the lake.

As far as western New York, I am partial to Allegany State Park. I've been going there for over 40 years. My signature pic is from there. If you decide, make sure to stay at the Red House campground. The park is very large with multiple lakes, hiking trails and rock formations. Usually quite a bit of wildlife there too.
Good luck!
2005 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2005 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp1 wrote:
Boy, a ton of good info. Question: K Charles
K Charles wrote:
Any state park in the finger lakes would be good and the food is good at the vineyards serve it.

Where is/are the finger lakes, I'm not at all familiar with the area, but it does sound interesting. Thanks

It's a largish region in western New York state, very approximately bounded by Rochester, Syracuse, and Corning. If you scrutinize a map of the state, you'll understand the name.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy, a ton of good info. Question: K Charles
K Charles wrote:
Any state park in the finger lakes would be good and the food is good at the vineyards serve it.

Where is/are the finger lakes, I'm not at all familiar with the area, but it does sound interesting. Thanks

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
vermilye wrote:
Check out Letchworth State Park in NY. Beautiful waterfalls & many electric only campsites.

x2...I was there a week ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The park is fantastic, and the campground exactly what you're looking for except for the lack of a lake.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are some nice camping spots around the outskirts of Cleveland that are nice. Geneva SP, other private campgrounds in Geneva. Also consider Findley SP near Wellington. Pine Lakes in Orwell, West Branch SP near Ravenna, Punderson SP has many sites as well. It probably depends on how far you like to drive for attractions, Geneva is the farthest at around 50 miles.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Letchworth State Park in NY. Beautiful waterfalls & many electric only campsites.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Salt fork an hour south of canton is very nice. Geneva on the lake is nice....agree with other poster. I've camped at Sara coyne in Erie pa before and I liked that. It's right against presque isle state park.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
geneva state park on lake erie , nice area, I,m twenty min from the hall of fame . theres a koa south of canton, also a big truck stop if you,d like that for a overnighter. about ten miles south of canton on rt 77.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer