Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chassahowitzka River campground, Chassahowitzka Florida

Anyone stayed here and if so how was it? thanks
9 REPLIES 9

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Mudholes, no-see-ums, and rednecks. Who could ask for more? Actually I refer to myself as a "pink neck". I appreciate the folks at Chazz keeping this campground and boat launch open to the public considering what a valuable piece of real estate it has become. As places like this close in Florida, us paddlers are SOL unless the state buys them. lizzie

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I've driven through in the winter months and this is a redneck strong hold.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
It can be a mudhole if it's rainy.
-jbh-

Thank You All, I got some good information here.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We usually camp there on MLK weekend in January when the Georgia Canoeing Assn goes down for its annual manatee paddle. We use the RV section which is just fine for us. Our TT is 25' and we don't watch TV so no problems with size of sites or shade trees. Since we go to paddle on the Chass, Weekie Watchee, Homosassa, and other nearby streams Manatee Springs SP is too far away for this particular event. No-see-ums (gnats)can be a problem anywhere but yellow flies have a short season, usually end of May to first of July. lizzie

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed there many times.

We like it, but not on the weekends
It is packed with fishermen on the weekends, and both sides of the road from the campground to the boat launch parking lot are filled with vehicles and boat trailers.

During the week it is calm, and a visit to the "Crack" is a must.

Check it out on our website: https://sites.google.com/site/flkeyskayaktrips/

Guy

Argie7
Explorer
Explorer
Small, "Old Florida" campground. Good only if you like boating, kayaking, fishing and other water based activities. If you are not into thaa, then there is not much to it. Very quiet...
Argie7
RT210 Versatile (SE)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
yep. We used to have a houseboat on the river there. Good fishing and good crabbing at night but watch for alligators. It's a bit rustic for us (we have a class A). Lots of trees not many sites where you can get satellite. Fairly narrow interior dirt roads with pot holes. Wi-Fi "iffy" Only a few sites are long enough for larger RV's. Look at www.rvparkreviews.com under Florida, Homosassa and you will see some reviews. Canoe and boat rentals with great canoeing. River gnats (no see-ums) and sometimes yellow flies can be a problem. Lots of people have campfires so it can get smoky. Grocery store (Publix) nearby. If you like old Florida campgrounds you should like this one. Last time we were there it looked like some people were homesteading. Probably due to monthly rates? Manatee Springs State Park is much better in our opinion.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Nobody?