Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado - We want mountains!!

Jandy2015
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We will be camping just outside Denver (westside) and were trying to find a magical camping spot. Our main features are mountains, everywhere, lake is always pleasent..

That is all.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Google pictures are not bringing anything special.

Thanks in advance.
39 REPLIES 39

Jandy2015
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for all the responses in here. We feel so naive thinking that April the birds and bees would be out as the beautiful spring flowers bloom in Colorado. We may have to rethink and get heartier accommodation. But great options to look into. This is the perfect place for help. I might put up a post about our whole trip to get slme basic advice on what to do. Thanks again

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Jandy2015 wrote:
Hi,

We will be camping just outside Denver (westside) and were trying to find a magical camping spot. Our main features are mountains, everywhere, lake is always pleasant..

That is all.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Google pictures are not bringing anything special.

Thanks in advance.

Jandy2015 wrote:
Apologies for the vagueness. Think I was excited to get your guys opinions so rushed..

- We would like to get to Denver to explore (maybe no more than 30 minutes outside)
- hook ups preferable. We've got a pop up.
- we would be coming from Arches so any stops on the way that are a must visit.

Thanks for the responses already, great options to research.

Jandy2015 wrote:
Jm so sorry my posts are useless for info.

We will be there mid April 2019. 3 days. So excited for our trip. We were thinking being out in the mountains/lake, pop into denver for a day to explore (so probably could be a little further out) then back to our Colorado wilderness (with hook ups).

Trying to get all this straight - have read your posts all 12 and I am even more confused - not your fault likely me [COLOR=]- Panama Beach - San Diego - Moab - Denver/Colorado Mountains - April

So I'll pose a few Questions - How Long is the trip, time/miles/days? Where are you starting From? Where will you end? What are you Towing With? What are you using for HEAT? Also let me say that the Replies to this Post are from some of the Best on the RV.net site, so you are getting/Will Get good info.

As my second/third home is in Colorado I will chime in that while April Can be Awesome (I love It and every other day in Colorado) in the Foothills - generally it is still WINTER in the Mountains - Lakes are frozen and Snow is still on the Ground, Few if any CampGrounds are Open - Example - last year for Memorial day we flew out for a week with our East Coast Grands to Visit the Colorado Grands (2+4=6 Girls total) the hope was to do Trail Ridge with the Snow Walls Images - did not Happen as it was 21' of snow at the Pass so we Hiked in the Snow to Red Rock Lake which was frozen solid - Girls all loved it - But - this was Late MAY - snow and frozen Lakes.

OK - trip is still Good in April just need to Be Prepared for all types of Weather - Moab Info that will help ๐Ÿ™‚ - also be sure to Drive out of Moab on RT 128 to get to I-70 to head to Denver, you will pass Aspen and Vail Two of many, awesome Ski resorts might just try to see a few of them - Beautiful Mountains and Not to be Missed.

If April Continues to be your Date - Golden Clear Creek RV Park will be a Perfect Spot - on the water - looks up to the Foothills and is just minuets from a beautiful Drive on RT 6 along the Creek and into the Mountains.

Get back to us and I'm sure you will get more helpful info.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I remember when I first moved to Colorado back in 1981. Memorial Day was the first big weekend for working people. We decided to head for Grand Lake, the largest natural lake in the State. We came over the horizon and got our first view, and the lake was still frozen . . .
Yea, that's about the time one of our sons played in a Memorial Day soccer tournament in snow . . . at Ft. Logan . . . in Denver!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember when I first moved to Colorado back in 1981. Memorial Day was the first big weekend for working people. We decided to head for Grand Lake, the largest natural lake in the State. We came over the horizon and got our first view, and the lake was still frozen and covered in snow. It is not even that high, something like 8,000 feet.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
To add to the last 2 posts about April, Golden Gate Canyon SP will only have 1 loop open, and they are all walk in sites. No reservations until late May. There aren't FHU sites there, only electricity, and the common water will still be winterized. Staying warm in a pop up will be difficult.

And major snow events in March and April are usually heavy wet snow, not the powdery snow of early in the season. On the roof of a pop up, it could be challenging to keep the roof up.

If you can look to late May or better yet, into June, you will have a much more favourable trip out here. Today, December 15, is the booking window for getting a campsite for June 14, 2019.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
To add on the the April is still winter in the CO mountains... March and April also usually have the biggest snow events (common for 12+ inches of snow) and those snow events can also happen down on the plains. The plains being Denver metro, CO Springs, Boulder, Ft Collins areas but there is no guarantee of that. If I were you, I would consider either delaying your trip or stay in a RV park in Golden and do day trips into the mountains.
I love me some land yachting

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
April is still winter in the Colorado mountains. There will be no Forest Service campgrounds open, many lakes will still be frozen, and most of the ski areas will be open as late in the month as possible.

The closest campground to Denver meeting your conditions is Golden Gate Canyon State Park, but it will likely still have snow on the ground due to shade from its conifers.

Mid-May is the earliest that your full wish list might be possible.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your posts are not useless. It is typical of new members (I was one, once!) to ask questions without thinking of all of the issues and ramifications. Don't worry about it -- just keep asking! Your questions will get more and more focused over time.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Jandy2015
Explorer
Explorer
Jm so sorry my posts are useless for info.

We will be there mid April 2019. 3 days. So excited for our trip. We were thinking being out in the mountains/lake, pop into denver for a day to explore (so probably could be a little further out) then back to our colorado wilderness (with hook ups).

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Agree about the Central City KOA. It is actually a really nice area, pretty close to Denver but no lake. Not too far from some really beautiful area of Clear Creek on hwy 6.

What time of year you going to be there? I ask because that KOA is prime July 4th for the Central City/Blackhawk fireworks.

Jandy2015 wrote:

Glenwood Springs and the canyon
Vail
Frisco/Breck
Georgetown
I love me some land yachting

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
These blog posts might be helpful -- and even if not, at least there are lots of photos to look at! Each post is the first of a series:

2018 trip

2015 trip

My only advice would be not to rush Colorado. We have spent two months there so far, and have just scratched the surface.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jandy2015 wrote:
Apologies for the vagueness. Think i was excited to get your guys opinions so rushed..

- We would like to get to Denver to explore (maybe no more than 30 minutes outside)

Thanks for the responses alresdy, great options to research.

No more than 30 minutes from Denver sort of limits you for having mountains and lakes, plus hook ups. So forget about any of the commercial parks in Denver.

May want to consider Clear Creek in Golden.

The 2 State Parks on the south end of Denver are Chatfield and Cherry Creek. Both have water/lakes, but you're not IN the mountains. But you do have a view of the mountains.

The KOA in Central City will put you in the mountains, but there's no lakes immediately in the area.

When you say you would "like to get to Denver to explore", do you mean you want to explore Denver, or use Denver as your base and explore the areas around Denver? Makes a difference for recommendations.

ETA: You haven't indicated when you'll be doing this. If you're thinking about this year, you NEED to make reservations. And if you're thinking about early June, the booking window has already come and gone for a couple of weekends, and you'll likely not be able to find much on the weekends. Week days should not be a problem.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We want mountains everywhere - Durango! Surrounded by mountains,
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Jandy2015
Explorer
Explorer
Apologies for the vagueness. Think i was excited to get your guys opinions so rushed..

Thanks for the responses alresdy, great options to research.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
ppine wrote:
You want mountains CO has em. I would forget about KOAs and most state parks. I would head west with a good map and just find a USFS campground when you get to a piece of country you like.
Such as those surrounding Turquoise Lake near Leadville. I believe any of those Forest Service campgrounds will meet your desires.

And at 10,000 feet you are really in the Mountains. ๐Ÿ™‚Link of Images
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach