cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Federal Park Camping and Looming Government Shutdown

melhow
Explorer
Explorer
The family (10 of us with four sites total) and I have our annual 12-day trip planned for Elkmont in the Smokies beginning October 2. I am sweating the very real possibility of a government shutdown effective Oct. 1.

From what I've read, the park would close all access except for pass-thru driving allowed on 441 between Tennessee and North Carolina, no stopping allowed.

I'm trying to come up with a good plan-B, but I'm hesitant to reserve other sites, mainly because I am unfamiliar with RV'ing in parks in the area outside of the Smokies. I also don't want to drop a bunch more cash on second reservations just to be hit with a cancellation fee if nothing happens with the shutdown.

What's your thoughts on the issue (the effect of the shutdown and alternate plan-making, NOT the politics behind what caused the shutdown)? Anyone else's plans going to be affected?

*Edited to hopefully not start a politics thread
2008 Keystone Hideout 23RKS
2012 Nissan Titan 4x4 PRO-4X
12,080 GCWR loaded for the woods
63 REPLIES 63

shakyjay
Explorer
Explorer
A good document to read if you want to actually understand how the shutdown works: CRS Report on Shutdowns

If you actually take the time to read it in it's entirety it will shed some light on how this process actually works. In a nutshell government agencies have been required for years to have contingency plans in place. It is the contingency plan that dictates what shuts down.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actions taken by BLM (and NPS, and FS) field offices are dictated by their respective supervisors in Washington. The DOI directive is a good example of how is being done in an orderly fashion.

BLM contingency plan Dated Sept 25, 2013

NPR article comparing NPS and other agencies in this closure

BLM plans wrote:
Visitor Management: The BLM will close and secure visitor centers and facilities on public lands. Visitor activities that require a permit may be canceled or postponed. Contracted operations such as trash collection and toilet cleaning will be suspended. If practical, areas will be posted with signs that state that no patrols, maintenance or other management activities will be provided including emergency or rescue services provided by BLM.

If some facilities and areas are closed, while others remain open, it is a matter of practical management.

The BLM has approximately 10,800 employees and would furlough 10,200 employees during
the funding lapse.

ChiefK
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
You're goin to get me goin yet ! Then Sandi will shut this down ! ๐Ÿ™‚

OK. Enough said.
Dan
2012 Tiffin Allegro
34TGA

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I won't say anything that will shut this down.......but you all can probably guess what I'm thinking!!!!!!!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
You're goin to get me goin yet ! Then Sandi will shut this down ! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

ChiefK
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
Lauren wrote:
We live close to Madera Canyon south of Tucson - in the Santa Rita Mountains; view it from our back yard. In the National Forest.

We picnic and hike up there.

Off for a picnic yesterday and all parking & picnic areas closed off. That, and pit toilets is all they have there.

Going to make this as visible and painful for the public as possible.
YIP -- we're in a BLM cg..no tp/no garbage service.....yet, we have to be out by noon.
I just heard on the radio about another campground that is run by Thousand Trails that was closed down this morning. A Lake Chillicoth or something like that. They even went and chased all the fisherman off the lake!! This is just plain stupid. Even closed down the Normandy graveyards in France.
Dan
2012 Tiffin Allegro
34TGA

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
We live close to Madera Canyon south of Tucson - in the Santa Rita Mountains; view it from our back yard. In the National Forest.

Off for a picnic yesterday and all parking & picnic areas closed off. That, and pit toilets is all they have there.

YIP -- we're in a BLM cg..no tp/no garbage service.....yet, we have to be out by noon.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer

Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Quartermoon
Explorer
Explorer
Wavesprite wrote:
Quartermoon, they cancelled your reservation for 8 days from now and are returning your money?

Apparently. Not sure what happens to our reservation if G-men work it out before Oct 11th.
2016 Ford F250
2014 Open Range Light 318RL

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
ChiefK wrote:
JeeperAz wrote:
Just found out the campground we were going to spend next week is now closed... even though it does not use government money or manpower.

This is a privately run campground although it's owned by the forest service.

Recreation Resource Management or camprrm.com is the operator.

RPM manager was on Fox news this morning. All of their campgrounds are now closed due to the Forest Service telling them they have to close. They make money for the government. He said it was due to pressure from the White House that closed him down.
That doesn't surprise me. We have the leave a BLM CG we've paid for but were told we can go to "undeveloped" BLM land and camp. Since this cg has NO amenities except a bathroom, we find it unreasonable .....there is NO difference! So....yes, we'll be sending in for a refund.

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats

ChiefK
Explorer
Explorer
JeeperAz wrote:
Just found out the campground we were going to spend next week is now closed... even though it does not use government money or manpower.

RPM manager was on Fox news this morning. All of their campgrounds are now closed due to the Forest Service telling them they have to close. They make money for the government. He said it was due to pressure from the White House that closed him down.
Dan
2012 Tiffin Allegro
34TGA

shakyjay
Explorer
Explorer
In case anyone is interested here is a link to The Department of Interior contingency plan: DOI Shutdown Contingency Plan
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We're in BLM cg in utah. sign at post as we entered says no garbage service, etc......but did not say to get out ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats

JeeperAz
Explorer
Explorer

'06 GMC 2500HD Duramax(LBZ)
'06 Ragen FB2500
Larry & Mindy
Backseat: Maya (black lab)