cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Tampa area

ocean_bound
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for a good campground around Tampa area close to Beach would be nice going in October. Could be a little north or south of Tampa Thanks
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft
13 REPLIES 13

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
ocean bound wrote:
What are the best sites at Fort De Soto would like a water site anybody tell me the best sites 37 foot motorhome class a Do they have any sewer sites ? And is the dump station easy access Thank you

Your coming in October, if it doesn't have to be just Tampa, look just south of there to Cortez...on rte.684 it is Cortez Road West there are two parks Holiday Cove and Buttonwood Inlet, both are within walking distance to the Gulf of Mexico, great beaches, lots of shops and plenty of restaurants all around you...pet friendly too.
We prefer Buttonwood but you would have no problem getting into either or fitting your MH on a large lot.
Beautiful area, you should check it out!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Even the sites with mangroves are fine as most of them have a path to the water. I was just there 3 weeks ago and made a little list of the best sites (in my opinion) and they are as follows:

210a small camper only
198-206

There are some nice ones on the other side but the sea wall is pretty high on that side so having two little kids I left all those out. All of these I listed except for 198-206 are direct beach entry and the others have a small sea wall which you could still easily hop in the water if launching a kayak or something.

If you get one of the pull thrus in the middle they are absolutely massive. They will take a 40ft motor home and still give you 20-30 feet on each end.

There are no FHU sites and the dump stations are on the main road. The one closest to all of the good waterfront sites is sorta nasty as the concrete slopes in the wrong direction and there is usually quite the puddle of "stuff" in front of the dump station.... At least that was my experience 3 weeks ago when I was dragging my sewer tote over there for 5 days in a row not once was it dry. I wouldn't let this deter me from going back though.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
The best campsite is probably a matter of opinion. They all looked pretty good when I was there a couple of years ago. Here's the campground map. I'd recommend any of the waterfront sites where the water view isn't obstructed by the mangroves, which are marked on the map. There are some size & pet limitations on some loops, too.
2013 RT 190-Popular

ocean_bound
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are the best sites at Fort De Soto would like a water site anybody tell me the best sites 37 foot motorhome class a Do they have any sewer sites ? And is the dump station easy access Thank you

ocean_bound
Explorer II
Explorer II

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
There's not many near the beach if you mean walking distance. Plenty a short drive away.

Fort DeSoto is one of the exceptions and highly recommended with the caveat raised by others that it is popular and thus hard to book. We also like Rock Crusher Canyon (north of Tampa) and Sun & Fun in Sarasota, 90 mins south of Tampa but near some nice beaches.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely Fort De Soto, if you can get in.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
X4

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Ft DeSoto X3
www.putt10.net

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the RV "resorts" around Tampa/Clearwater are long-term Snowbird sites with permanent trailers/carports, not what I would call camping. They're okay in the sense they are clean, but just not what we enjoy. The state parks are nice but basic and most don't have sites that can accommodate larger RVs. We've researched (Woodalls.com) Tampa South RV Resort in Ruskin and Happy Traveler RV Park near Busch Gardens online only; they look decent but not having stayed there I can't recommend either to someone else.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

KDS
Explorer
Explorer
Most definitely Fort DeSoto. Make reservations 6 months in advance though. It gets busy during the cooler months.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Fort DeSoto
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Good Sam Club. You can search for RV parks in the Tampa area and click on the MAP VIEW to see where they actually are. This is how we found the park we stayed at in Rustin, near Sun City Center.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE